Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

I have to say I am very pleased with what I have seen from him so far. So strong with the ball and bullies defences, makes great runs and pops up in all the right places nd fights for the ball every time. Compare that to Wesley getting knocked off the ball and then waving his arms around.

I wasnt expecting much given how "little" we paid for him, especially in January but he is an excellent bit of scouting, if we had him from the start of the season I think we would easily have at least 6 more points

Hopefully he keeps this up for the rest of the season, and hopefully Wesley leans from him (I haven't written Wesley off yet, but I am so glad SamaGoooooooal is here)

• Like 2

It's so frustrating watching the African teams at world cups.

Pretty sure none of them made it to last 16 of World cup so ultimately they haven't kicked on considering the potential Cameroon and Nigeria were showing during the 90s (and to lesser degree South Africa who were regularly making WCs back then).

Over last decade north African teams have emerged more but Egypt flopped from an reasonable group to qualify from. Morocco nearly made it but were in a much tougher group.

Some of it is due to pool of players. Cameroon had strikeforce of Eto-o and Patrick Mbomba in early 00s so nowhere near that level anymore and Nigeria were stacked with great midfielders like Okocha and Sunday Oliesh when I first started watching. Over last five years Jon Obi Mikel has been their most creative midfielder which says it all.

Senegal and Algeria have the best all round squads nowadays but Algeria didn't even make last WC.

Add in all the off field lack of organisation like bonuses not being paid in time which leads to threats of strikes which we've seen from a few nations in run up to world cups.

There is one on the field observation I've noted they tend to do more of than major european teams but I'd rather not say tbh due to the connotations someone would probably call me out on. It's to do with long range shooting anyway.

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I have to say I am very pleased with what I have seen from him so far. So strong with the ball and bullies defences, makes great runs and pops up in all the right places nd fights for the ball every time. Compare that to Wesley getting knocked off the ball and then waving his arms around.

I wasnt expecting much given how "little" we paid for him, especially in January but he is an excellent bit of scouting, if we had him from the start of the season I think we would easily have at least 6 more points

Hopefully he keeps this up for the rest of the season, and hopefully Wesley leans from him (I haven't written Wesley off yet, but I am so glad SamaGoooooooal is here)

Exactly this. We need this type of striker in August. Many of us said it then and Wesley (and Davis and Kodj) wasn't going to be enough so frustrating the club didn't show enough urgency then.

Wonder if he was actually on our radar in the summer but Genk wouldn't sell then so we went for Wesley instead who was easier to sign.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Pretty sure none of them made it to last 16 of World cup so ultimately they haven't kicked on considering the potential Cameroon and Nigeria were showing during the 90s (and to lesser degree South Africa who were regularly making WCs back then).

Over last decade north African teams have emerged more but Egypt flopped from an reasonable group to qualify from. Morocco nearly made it but were in a much tougher group.

Some of it is due to pool of players. Cameroon had strikeforce of Eto-o and Patrick Mbomba in early 00s so nowhere near that level anymore and Nigeria were stacked with great midfielders like Okocha and Sunday Oliesh when I first started watching. Over last five years Jon Obi Mikel has been their most creative midfielder which says it all.

Senegal and Algeria have the best all round squads nowadays but Algeria didn't even make last WC.

Add in all the off field lack of organisation like bonuses not being paid in time which leads to threats of strikes which we've seen from a few nations in run up to world cups.

There is one on the field observation I've noted they tend to do more of than major european teams but I'd rather not say tbh due to the connotations someone would probably call me out on. It's to do with long range shooting anyway.

The massive corruptions in respective FA's that influences everything, from funds disappearing to promises not being kept down to selection of certain players who has to play or are not allowed to due to politics and sectarian reasons. Granted this is not exclusive to Africa, Bosnia for example has many of the same issues.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

To be fair, Ghana had quite a tasty squad and were cheated out of a last 8 place by Luis "The Goalkeeper" Suarez... If I remember correctly?

EDIT: I remember incorrectly... Ghana were already in the last 8... They were cheated out of a semi-finals place

Edited by DJ_Villain
Incorrect facts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Without this turning into a Wesley bashing I think it's remarkable but not surprising to see what a huge difference it is between the intelligence and understanding of the game it is between Samatta and Wesley.

Samatta makes intelligent runs, reads what his teammates are doing or trying to do. He anticipates what defenders will do and where there will be areas to exploit. 

Wesley just didn't do these things, or at least not on a reliable basis.

He must be so much easier to play with and harder to play against. That we also finally have an aerial threat also means our many crosses might cause some trouble.

Love this guy so far.

To be fair, Samatta has probably close to a decades worth of experience on Wesley.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, Samatta has probably close to a decades worth of experience on Wesley.

5 years but it looks a good bit more. They also moved to Belgium around the same time so you could say they have the same amount of experience in "recognised" leagues. Wesley was also 19 when he moved to Belgium so you have to allow for that also. Samatta definitely looks more like a finished article but I think Wesley has potential. Hopefully he can learn from Samatta once he's back from injury. Probably, the only thing he learned from Kodija before the injury was how to dance or something like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Looks a great pick up by Smith, Samatta seems to have a bit of everything, he can finish, £8.5m seems to be a bargain. I know it’s early days and I don’t want to go overboard about him but he’s made a great start to his Villa career. £8.5m is nothing in today’s inflated market

• Like 1

Â