195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

10 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I seen them. We played well, I remember it been in the 85th minute and Smith brings on kodjia in a game we are been dominated and desperately hanging on too. Ended up conceding 2 goals in 6 minutes. You've chose 2 examples of when we played well but still didn't win, that's not how you stay up. When did we play well and get 3 points? 

Newcastle. Game was less than five weeks ago so shows how quickly football can change.

My feeling is the Leicester game has broken our spirit. We've lost games and been outplayed but that game we really looked like a championship side punch drunk in the prem given Leicester could've easily scored 6 or 7 with their chances at the end. Look at how bad we've been since against beatable opposition.

I also wonder if the fiasco over Mings being taken off has lead to squad losing a bit of confidence in DS decision making. Players probably thinking they have to play through hamstrings on the pitch now.

• Like 1

Still surreal seeing this thread on the front page with 19 pages.

Imagine in July of someone told you that in December of our first season back after our miraculous promotion as the 5th place team in the Championship, after the crazy summer we had with the transfers in and out, we'd have a 20 page thread on who our next manager would be while sitting in 18th place, a point off safety. You'd be baffled at our lack of patience. I know I would.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Imagine in July of someone told you that in December of our first season back after our miraculous promotion as the 5th place team in the Championship, after the crazy summer we had with the transfers in and out, we'd have a 20 page thread on who our next manager would be while sitting in 19th place, a point off safety. You'd be baffled at our lack of patience. I know I would.

Thing is, it isn't really about our position. It's about how we're playing, and how Smith looks completely bereft of ideas and unable to get even a fight out of these players.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Thing is, it isn't really about our position. It's about how we're playing, and how Smith looks completely bereft of ideas and unable to get even a fight out of these players.

That's the thing though, teams in relegation battles look crap more often than not. If we were playing well every week, we wouldn't be in this position.

Cast your mind back to the Lambert years. We'd go on 10 game runs without even scoring and still somehow survive. If our goal is 17th place, we'll have to put up with periods like this. We'll really rue those dropped points earlier in the season which could have given us some breathing space.

Burnley and Bournemouth are currently going through such a period, as are West Ham of course. The former 2 have managers who have been given faith by their owners for what they achieved and won't get the sack because of these runs while West Ham is just a revolving door of players and managers. I'd rather we were more like the former.

Edited by Keyblade

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

But so many are ready to dump him now and take a risk on somebody else.  I’m just glad this forum and maybe others have no control over the affairs at the Villa.

The problem is Nick and there is no getting away from.....He has made us a team "too easy to beat"

Its all well and good pursuing a vision of attacking football, but you have to win the right to play football.

The first lesson of this league is....you have to be physically prepared.I don't think we are and haven't been from day one. Even if we are leading, teams get back in to the game far too easily.

Take Wolves yesterday....another team going one down at Anfield, would capitulate under their pressure, but Wolves have fight and physicality to match any team....most look at their flair and talent, but they have underlying durabilty.....Look at their Jota and our Jota, sure their's is a better player, but their Jota battles and fights for the ball,stands up against challenges ours just stands away from any contact....he is just one of many we have bred.

I have a worry Dean is unable to fix it, but we will see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's the thing though, teams in relegation battles look crap more often than not. If we were playing well every week, we wouldn't be in this position.

Cast your mind back to the Lambert years. We'd go on 10 game runs without even scoring and still somehow survive. If our goal is 17th place, we'll have to put up with periods like this. We'll really rue those dropped points earlier in the season which could have given us some breathing space.

Burnley and Bournemouth are currently going through such a period, as are West Ham of course. The former 2 have managers who have been given faith by their owners for what they achieved and won't get the sack because of these runs while West Ham is just a revolving door of players and managers. I'd rather we were more like the former.

We have just played the bottom 3 teams and looked inferior against 2 and arguably 3......what is this " If we are playing well every week"...do you think teams are going to step aside and say " Help Yourself".......This is a league with physicality high on the agenda, you only have to watch the games to see it, sure the better teams add guile and flair to that, that's why they are higher up....If you watch Liverpool, sure the eye candy is there, but look closer and there is an undying willingness to work hard and make it so difficult for opposing teams.....they move the ball quickly and to do that you have to have players running off it, to give you options.....we don't run off it, like that and folk say we showed effort today.....No we don't, they are not looking properly, trotting around like a lost sheep, is not working hard or showing effort.

We are a good team when we are allowed to play, i.e the opposition having an off day or poor application from them..... we don't compete, we just think we do.

Burnley and Bournemouth have it in their make up to turn it around, I think most people can see that including their respective boards.....I seen enough of both teams at Villa Park, to believe they both have it in them to survive....mainly for the same reason i have mentioned.

The league don't lie......but these teams around us have woken up to fact its a scrap.....Southampton after getting beat 1-9 have fought back and against us was first to just about every ball..........Watford was certs to go down, now they have Troy Deeney back still not fully fit, but sufficiently fired up to bully us and a hard nosed tough uncompromising task master at the helm, they will possibly get out too.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but our lot haven't got a scrap in them, bless them.....That's why baring a miracle, we are going down IMO, unless Dean can resurrect something,I can't see.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Imagine in July of someone told you that in December of our first season back after our miraculous promotion as the 5th place team in the Championship, after the crazy summer we had with the transfers in and out, we'd have a 20 page thread on who our next manager would be while sitting in 18th place, a point off safety. You'd be baffled at our lack of patience. I know I would.

so whats the alternative?...preside over a season that could emulate the 3 wins under Lambert.....when most of us could see it way in advance.

No manager can survive over constant batterings from teams, especially when they are teams around you at the bottom....its not always the loss itself, its the manner of it, that tells the tale.

I would suspect Pellegrini could claim in his defence he won the league not so long ago.....Gold and Sullivan would probably say " so what" you're here now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I gave a vote in case it happens, which would be poch.

Now that's out the way, I personally think we are going down. I accept that because of the fact we threw to many inexperienced players together, with an inexperienced Coach in to top flight football. Like I said before in another thread, not impossible but verging on it. A second season in the premier should be delightful, but I'm sure it's championship again under Smith. I will say again I think he will take those squad back up if we fail survival, it's not such a bad thing, gives our squad time to refine, mould and season themselves into a worthy side.

Question is can they truly show there worth before it's to late and we plummet back down to the championship.

I accept what may come of this, what could happen and where we might be after this season. Things have been the best they've been for 20 years, that's something worth holding onto.

Happy New Year all.

That's pretty much where I'm at Dave :thumb:

Who would leave us if we went down? Grealish, McGinn, Mings = approx £100m+ in sales. We would probably spend just over half of that on the likes of Bowen, Benrahma, another decent centre back and a striker. I think we would go back up and this seasons new players will have had two seasons together and be a lot better for it. 

Obviously, we would lose three talented players but who is to say their replacements won't turn out to be just as good for us? 

I just want our owners to have a plan and enforce it rather than firefighting all the time, which is what was happening the last time we were in the Premier League. 

Up the Villa! 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Those first 10 games showed there is something there to work on hopefully DS and his team can work out why we are currently so poor and turn things around.

Looking in the mirror would be a good start - I’ve seen dean blame players  , officials and everyone but himself - maybe he needs to start there and accept there is more than one system of playing the game 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We had a fantastic team last season.

Tuanzebe, Mings, McGinn, Grealish, Abraham, El Ghazi. Finishing 5th with players like that was nothing special. Winning against Baggies and Derby nothing special either. 

Just my opinion. I think our team was really, really strong. Especially after the January window.

11 hours ago, Eastie said:

Very grateful to dean for getting us up - but  no I don’t see him being the man for the next stage - similar to warner , and Adkins to name but 2 I think he has reached His level .

very good championship manager and maybe in a few years he will do a job at this level but not now for me .

I am old enough to remember a great Villa striker Andy Lockhead, through his goals he got us promoted. But he was not taken into the next league he was sold. I was disapointed but he wasn't good enough for the next challenge. There really is no place for sentiment and sorry no room for loyalty. If nothing changes - then nothing will change, Dean has to change (its what we all want) or he has to be changed. The manager and players are here short term. Hopefully the Villa are here for future generations to love and support   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We had a fantastic team last season.

Tuanzebe, Mings, McGinn, Grealish, Abraham, El Ghazi. Finishing 5th with players like that was nothing special. Winning against Baggies and Derby nothing special either. 

And yet Bruce (who I never disliked as much as some) had that group minus Mings bottom half... (edit: and is worth mentioning as he is a midtable Premier League manager right now which is what people are clamouring for us to bring in).

As for ‘nothing special’ - we went on literally the best run of our entire history, which has included plenty of time at a similar level. If the best in history is nothing special I’m not sure what is.

Thats not the thing that should define any decisions right now, of course, but don’t say silly things.

Edited by Adam2003

The reassuring thing for me is that basically half the votes on this poll are to keep Smith. Whether that turns out to be the right move or not it’s a good indication that fans haven’t turned completely. Think what happens vs Burnley will determine a lot - going into a transfer window with a break for the FA Cup the board may act.

Win a couple of games in the next couple of weeks and we are lower midtable and in a cup semi final. Lose v Burnley and we look like we are going down. Fine margins!

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

The reassuring thing for me is that basically half the votes on this poll are to keep Smith. Whether that turns out to be the right move or not it’s a good indication that fans haven’t turned completely. Think what happens vs Burnley will determine a lot - going into a transfer window with a break for the FA Cup the board may act.

Win a couple of games in the next couple of weeks and we are lower midtable and in a cup semi final. Lose v Burnley and we look like we are going down. Fine margins!

I'd imagine the poll might have looked a bit different had there been any realistic or non revolting options to vote for. Even a non of the above option would have been enough.

That said no point in getting rid of a manager like Smith who's still loved by the fans for what he did last season if there isn't a very good replacement. Absolutely not change for the sake of changing.

I don't advocate getting rid of Smith.

But I do wish he would adjust his tactics to suit the players we have (who are performing), honestly think a 5-3-2, or a variation (5-3-1-1 / 3-3-3-1 etc) of that would suit us better with the players we have and the form they are in. (Especially when all players are fit)

Edited by MaVilla

5 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I just want our owners to have a plan and enforce it rather than firefighting all the time, which is what was happening the last time we were in the Premier League. 

The problem is that the owners dont really have a plan.They state that they want us to be playing champions league football then they hire Dean Smith.The thing is that if you look at the top teams, they all ( the successfull ones ) have A League managers ( for want of a better name )ie managers that are known for how good they are.Fergusson,Pocho,Moreano,Klopp etc etc.Everton have just signed an A List manager ( watch them climb up the table ) and they were close to us in the league table just a while ago.I am not running DS down.I am just saying that if the owners really want us to be playing champions league football, then they need to seriously rethink their management decisions. 

Â