195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

I don’t think we will stay up under smith and nor do I think we would go up next season under smith either .

last seasons team had Abraham , tuanzebe, mings Grealish and mcginn - a Villa team under smith in the championship next season would have none of those 5 players and plenty of dross .

For me smith has been found out and I see nothing to suggest he can adapt or is even willing to adapt his style 

So the guy that got us from mid table championship team to PL team gets no credit, no benefit of doubt and no time.

Nice!

3 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

It’s not a big assumption, we currently look the worst side in this league.thats not an assumption that’s reality we look awful

Yet despite being the third best team to come up, were 10th in the league a year ago but we are only 1 point from safety after half a season.  Southampton lost 9-0 to Leicester not so long ago, looked horrendous and certainties for relegation but now gone on a bit of a run.  We are just in our slump.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

So people want to swap the English Smith or a German (I think) one? 

I'd prefer to keep our version thanks. 

I think we want one that can demonstrate how to organize a defence......and organize the rest of the team to defend, when necessary

He could come from Timbuktu for all I care.

• Like 1

I hope Smith turns this mess around and keeps us up.

However, if the slump continues and he does get the boot when you look at Leeds (Bielsa), Everton (Ancelotti), Wolves (Nuno), Newcastle (Rafa not so long ago) I hope we can attract someone of sufficient calibre to progress us.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So the guy that got us from mid table championship team to PL team gets no credit, no benefit of doubt and no time.

Nice!

Very grateful to dean for getting us up - but  no I don’t see him being the man for the next stage - similar to warner , and Adkins to name but 2 I think he has reached His level .

very good championship manager and maybe in a few years he will do a job at this level but not now for me .

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

Niko Kovac. Proven track record with a club lower down the food chain and invaluable big club scaring too.

But Deano deserves a few more games. Unfortunately, it is a results business.

Thing is with the transfer window opening now is the time to stick or twist - no point giving him a few games and then making a change when the window has closed - I think the burnley game is massive 

Edited by Eastie

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Thing is with the transfer window opening now is the time to stick or twist - no point giving him a few games and then making a change when the window has closed - I think the burnley game is massive 

That's not how the club is run any more. The manager is involved with but not in charge of transfers. Rightly so. 

Suso will know who we are after and that wouldn't change regardless of who the manager is. 

Very much in the keep Smith camp - and I hope the club give him the backing he deserves in January. 

I gave a vote in case it happens, which would be poch.

Now that's out the way, I personally think we are going down. I accept that because of the fact we threw to many inexperienced players together, with an inexperienced Coach in to top flight football. Like I said before in another thread, not impossible but verging on it. A second season in the premier should be delightful, but I'm sure it's championship again under Smith. I will say again I think he will take those squad back up if we fail survival, it's not such a bad thing, gives our squad time to refine, mould and season themselves into a worthy side.

Question is can they truly show there worth before it's to late and we plummet back down to the championship.

I accept what may come of this, what could happen and where we might be after this season. Things have been the best they've been for 20 years, that's something worth holding onto.

Happy New Year all.

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nice!

OK, so surviving in the premier league is not a “nice” activity, It is really very tough.

While we are all very grateful for what Smith did last season, it is irrelevant except for the history section in the AVFC Wikipedia  page.

This season performances are getting progressively worse. He has had 19 matches which is the same or more than many of the managers already sacked by clubs threatened with relegation. He only has 19 games left to save us and it isn’t at all clear at present that he knows how to do it.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

OK, so surviving in the premier league is not a “nice” activity, It is really very tough.

While we are all very grateful for what Smith did last season, it is irrelevant except for the history section in the AVFC Wikipedia  page.

This season performances are getting progressively worse. He has had 19 matches which is the same or more than many of the managers already sacked by clubs threatened with relegation. He only has 19 games left to save us and it isn’t at all clear at present that he knows how to do it.

We have played 20 league matches so have 18 left.

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

Nice!

Its an interesting one, but you can't dine out on that forever.

This is not a struggle right now, its a crisis in footballing terms......

This is where you earn the 4 year contract..........He has to demostrate he has the ability to get a team to compete in a battle to stay up....you may of Noticed when I remarked with a laugh to a poster who said before the Southampton game " Now we have 3 easy games coming up to get some points.....

These teams scrap, fight and Cajole.....the main essence of these posts is......we can't, for whatever reason, sure its been magnified by our horrendous drop in form,  and loss of key players,but its been like that generally for some time win, lose or draw, (we are simply not scrapers).....its been ignored.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

However, if the slump continues and he does get the boot when you look at Leeds (Bielsa), Everton (Ancelotti), Wolves (Nuno), Newcastle (Rafa not so long ago) I hope we can attract someone of sufficient calibre to progress us.

I think we all do deep down.

Just now, TRO said:

But so many are ready to dump him now and take a risk on somebody else.  I’m just glad this forum and maybe others have no control over the affairs at the Villa.

26 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I trust the management more than the Xia era who might bring in club legend Steve Staunton or Dwight Yorke

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

First 10 games we looked relatively ok and I expected as the team gelled we would continue to improve - however the last 10 games we have got worse and look a really poor side now throughout the team .

Those first 10 games showed there is something there to work on hopefully DS and his team can work out why we are currently so poor and turn things around.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yet despite being the third best team to come up, were 10th in the league a year ago but we are only 1 point from safety after half a season.  Southampton lost 9-0 to Leicester not so long ago, looked horrendous and certainties for relegation but now gone on a bit of a run.  We are just in our slump.

Can’t see it as problems aren’t being addressed 

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

I’d love it but it’s not going to happen 

4 hours ago, Genie said:

He’s the type of manager that’s fashionable to dislike so people wade in. It would represent an upgrade on many aspects of our current performance.

This is what Fat Sam would have people think (all the "if I was called Allardici" stuff as well). No doubt he does get a raw deal in the media sometimes, but in the Dean Smith thread you'll see lots of sensible explanations of why Allardyce isn't the answer.

The problem is that he just isn't a big enough upgrade on Smith performance-wise to justify all the changes that would have to be made to Purslow's strategy. Allardyce would demand a load of quick fix signings on high wages, and in the process of maybe keeping us up would leave loads of ticking timebombs on the wage bill for future managers to deal with.

I also can't see him being the right coach for Jack Grealish, who thrives in an attacking, possession football setup (I know we haven't been doing this recently, but broadly Smith's style has been good for Jack).

Allardyce also hasn't left a good legacy behind at any club he has managed. He tends to exit clubs in a disruptive way, basically sabotaging them on the way out to protect his own reputation. A big no from me.

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

You didn't catch us play Liverpool did you? Or Manure. We have fight that's why I think we have a chance of staying up, definately not guaranteed though I can see it being a frustrating season that can go either way (I also thought this back in July)

I seen them. We played well, I remember it been in the 85th minute and Smith brings on kodjia in a game we are been dominated and desperately hanging on too. Ended up conceding 2 goals in 6 minutes. You've chose 2 examples of when we played well but still didn't win, that's not how you stay up. When did we play well and get 3 points? 

• Like 1

Â