195 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Poch
    • Rafa
    • Big Sam
    • Thierry Henry
    • Keep Smith

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I don't disagree that wesley is a problem.

I disagree that he deserves to be blamed on a grealish thread for grealish potentially leaving.

If you think he's the only problem then I'd call that obsession.

I thought this was a thread about managers 🧐

2 hours ago, useless said:

If we can stay up then I think he might give us one or two seasons, but there will probably be interest in him from top four clubs so he will have options.

26 or 27 is a decent age to leave your boyhood club (If at all). You'll have given then a good amount of service, and a part of your peak.

If he did go, I'd genuinely rather it be overseas.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. I’m obsessed with getting a striker in so that we stay up and I can watch Grealish in a Villa shirt next season. 

How could you not be obsessed with replacing the carthorse of a competition winner we have up front. 

Obsessed? Yes. I absolutely cannot wait for Villa to play with 11 men again.

Wesley not the only reason why we are 18th as much as i want a new forward the amount of goals we have conceded is a much of a concern if not bigger! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We were mid-table in the Championship. Rodgers was never in a million years going to join us, so you're criticising the owners over some made-up scenario you've plucked out of your backside.

I check a website called "NewsNow" they have sections on our last game,our next game,our midfield,our defence,our injuries and transfers.According to this site ( on 3/4 occasions ) we were looking at T.Henry at the time and Brendon Rogers said that he wanted to get back into English football.Apparently we didnt even consider him.And before yoy say anything,he wanted to get back into English football AND money talks. 

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Sorry but in what alternative reality was that in? Rodger was never touted as coming to Villa except on VT. Similarly there is a less than zero chance of getting Poch. Were we to sack Smith our options for a new manager are probably really limited, probably Houghton at best. I doubt even Alladyce would come as a fill in for a few months.

This is true,in our current position BUT what position in the league were Everton when they signed C.Anclotti ?

The club made their choice, we were mostly very happy with that choice. It would not be wise to fold at the first bump in the road when things are  getting tough. We have to hold our nerve and make sure individuals learn from mistakes, at ALL levels of the club. It’s clear to all that we need two or three better players as a matter of urgency, so let’s see what January brings and back the manager fully thereafter. This current malaise is as much of a test to the owners as it is to the players and management, everyone must be pulling in the same direction. The club had been in a decade of decline and didn’t look any better in February of this year, then things turned around quickly, as we all know. It won’t be that easy in the Premier League but we’re hardly isolated and cut adrift, an upturn in confidence with one or two players returning from injury and perhaps one or two new players can change things quickly. 

5 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I check a website called "NewsNow" they have sections on our last game,our next game,our midfield,our defence,our injuries and transfers.According to this site ( on 3/4 occasions ) we were looking at T.Henry at the time and Brendon Rogers said that he wanted to get back into English football.Apparently we didnt even consider him.And before yoy say anything,he wanted to get back into English football AND money talks. 

The BBC reported that Brendan Rodgers was on our shortlist but "ruled himself out" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45778565

As ever with these things, there are conflicting reports of what actually happened, but we can make some sensible guesses...

We were mid-table in the Championship, and Rodgers sees himself as an elite manager since his Liverpool days. Why would he get involved in potentially a 2 or 3-year second-tier rebuild at Villa, when he knew that clubs like Leicester / Arsenal / Chelsea / Man Utd would all be in need of a new manager in the near future?

Your original post suggested that our board had somehow dropped the ball here by choosing Smith over Rodgers, but the reality is that Rodgers was never a realistic option at that point.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The BBC reported that Brendan Rodgers was on our shortlist but "ruled himself out" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45778565

As ever with these things, there are conflicting reports of what actually happened, but we can make some sensible guesses...

We were mid-table in the Championship, and Rodgers sees himself as an elite manager since his Liverpool days. Why would he get involved in potentially a 2 or 3-year second-tier rebuild at Villa, when he knew that clubs like Leicester / Arsenal / Chelsea / Man Utd would all be in need of a new manager in the near future?

Your original post suggested that our board had somehow dropped the ball here by choosing Smith over Rodgers, but the reality is that Rodgers was never a realistic option at that point.

I stand corrected

Someone who presents a plan that represents success for Villa beyond what Smith can achieve, in the event Smith cannot achieve the same heights.

Benitez (possible given the right guarantees)

Pochettino (doubtful because bigger clubs will be making offers)

Mancini (doubtful because a WC with Italy would be dream come true for him)

When this thread gets inevitably bumped again, please nobody mention Dyche as a possible new manager. Burnley are an awful, one dimensional bunch of bully boys that make no effort to play positive football. Total dinosaur.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Chopping and changing managers must be some kind of football fetish at this point.

I'm sure Watford regret sacking their managers now.

Reality check. We risk losing out of hundreds of millions by being kicked out of this cash cow.

Edited by villalad21

Â