Match Thread: Watford v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Just seen the replays of Wesleys point blank header miss and penalty appeal. Both absolute pathetic.

He's truly appalling.

Seeing him vs Deeney on the same pitch should end the "hard working" myth for good, as well.

He's shit, he's lazy, and we had our pants pulled down when we signed him.

Edited by Davkaus

Just now, avfcDJ said:

We were doing really well for the first 3 months, now confidence is shot. 

Yeah we looked really good. 

Problem is we conceded so many late goals and gave up so many leads we didn't have a points cushion for when the real bad spell hit. Now confidence looks drained and we haven't got enough goals in us. 

Previously we had goals from all over, but over a season they are not going to be consistent. If your forward cannot score then the team will always struggle. 

The club **** up massively when we only signed wesley in the summer. Ridiculous decision when they invested so much in other areas. 

• Like 1

It's the inability to keep possession after we've won it back.

Whether it's a good nowhere near anyone. Or a pass that goes straight to a Watford players feet.

We've been doing this for a while now and I can't understand why the team seem incapable of passing to each other, when we pass it around at the back it just looks panicked and like we're going to give it away every time.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

This is awful.  I was disappointed with the starting XI as there was no pace at all in midfielder or attack but I thought well maybe Smith wants more possession but there was none of that, still hoofing the ball from the back and they’ve had 11 chances already.  I can’t believe how bad we are.....

There's no pace in the squad.....never mind the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People will get all dramatic I guess, but I think it's been an okey half. Wesley has been better than expected and we've looked fairly solid defensively. 

We totally lack pace though, so Jota off please. 

Watford have has 11 attempts on goal, you and me must have wildly different ideas about being defensively solid

I think we look all over the shop

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

This is awful.  I was disappointed with the starting XI as there was no pace at all in midfielder or attack but I thought well maybe Smith wants more possession but there was none of that, still hoofing the ball from the back and they’ve had 11 chances already.  I can’t believe how bad we are.....

Absolutely. We need one of the wingers and maybe guilbert on

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Our defence is piss poor. Our midfield is worse. Let's not talk about our attack.

Grealish and Heaton are the only players out there that belong in the PL.

Comon it was the same with Bruce, squad is much better than this, we have even seen it. On Smith for me, no one seems to know what they are doing yet again. 

Might watch the Wolves until he is gone.

• Confused 2

Beginning of the season there were so many first halfs we were unlucky to only be winning by one; team looked cohesive and played some great stuff although admittedly fell apart second half of games. But what the **** has happened to that side? 

These guys can barely string a pass together. Our pressing is like headless chickens, completely ineffective and leaves huge gaps. And how many games in a row have we had now where Targett is getting bypassed with long diagonals?

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Correct. Pretty sure some people here aren't actually watching the match. 

I’m watching it and it was wave after wave of Watford attack. If that constitutes us playing well you must have a very low bar. 

I'd have thought Heaton could push the first shot further away from goal than he did, the same with the first against Southampton.  What really pissed me off about the goal was Deeney was completely free while Elmo was still almost stood on the touchline watching.  Surely the right back should be sensing the danger and ready to scrap for a rebound.  He must have almost literally not moved from the time Konsa lost the ball and the ball ended in the net.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Its tactics lads, Smith changed again still dont know his best team, an today seems to be leaving out Grealish, we sitting to far back to attack. Apart from the header Wes having a weak game need to change something second half. But Smith will leave it till 70 plus

I love that you are claiming that missed clear chance as a positive... and people say our fans are negative?! 😂

Heaton poor on the shot for the goal after Hause was slow to go out to the shot, Konsa's attempted clearance was blocked after Elmohamady passed it back to him when he simply could have played it down the line. 

Question; did Wesley or Jota show for the ball down the line? Regardless, a few of them played a part in that goal. 

But, mistakes apart, the biggest was that Wesley missed an absolute sitter.