Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/19 at 23:59

2 hours ago, Ponky said:

I thought the non celebration after El Ghazi scored pretty much sums up the VAR effect. 

Yup. Should have been sustained joy and noise in the stadium. Because of VAR, the celebration was staggered. Why was the goal reviewed? Is every goal reviewed?

If they insist on keeping VAR, they should do it the NFL way. Allow each manager 1 challenge per half. You can challenge anything.  Fouls, offsides, goals, etc.

• Like 4

Conor my motm, I wanted to give it to Grealish but I'm being tough on him. For all the possession he had he should've scored or created another.

Plus I feel bad for Conor, I was harsh on him a while back and I'm seeking redemption!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Fantastic performance. Newcastle toothless but you can only beat what’s in front of you. Could have easily scored more and apart from a 5 minute spell at start of 2nd half we were never under any pressure. I can only put that down to the players being in shock that Bruce hadn’t instructed his players to retreat back into their half like they did for the first 45 minutes..

A lot of contenders for runner up man of the match but Grealish still head and shoulders above. Konsa looks very assured. Think Mings is carrying an injury and credit that he’s still out their battling. Heaton best since Bosnich.

Finally we have an easy away game next for the first time since Norwich away. 

Good, solid performance all round against an 'established' Premier League side. Whatever that means.

MOTM for me was Jack, but with honourable mentions for Conor The Irish Engine, Mr Guilbert, Konsa and Admiral Anwar. I thought Bruce dropped a clanger when Carroll came on. I'd have brought Gayle on first for his pace and general roughability.

On another day, it could have been 2-2 but for Heaton's cat reflexes... and on an even more alternative day, we could have had four or five. More than happy with a clean sheet, two goals and a feel good factor after Monday night football.

Bravo Villa... keep it up please.

All played well but thought McGinn was a bit off colour (for him anyway). Heaton's two good saves were reassuring. I would've been more anxious if that was Nyland in goal. Newcastle had a fair few attempts at goal but were mince. Saint Maximin seems to be another Traore (of 2 yrs ago)

It's just nice to get 3 feckin' points !

Solid win. Newcastle were poor but we put in a 7/10 performance and got 3 points and a clean sheet. I thought Heaton was good today as Mings had a off night- was he slightly injured? The key was the first 10/15 of the second half in which we weathered the Newcastle attack and killed off the game. Had it got to 2-1 it might have been very different. Luiz is a bit frustrating does one good thing and then one bad thing. Wes tried hard today but really he was not getting in the right positions a lot of the time and he should have filled his boots last night. Frankly El Ghazi looks like more like a natural striker than Wes. Overall a big 3 points we have a very smelly run of fixtures coming up.

Newcastle were poor first half and gave us a bit to worry about in the first 5/10 minutes of the second, but we managed that period ok and then it just felt like we needed the third to kill it off. It never came, but thankfully it didn’t impact the overall result. 
Having Heaton in goal is massive, some of the shots he saved were straightforward, but one or two could have caused trouble against our other keepers. 
Konsa, Guilbert and Targett were very good last night. 
Mings and McGinn had off days. 
Luiz looked assured, bar one moment at the beginning of the second half when he got caught in possession. 
ElGhazi looked a threat constantly. 
Wez did well against a solid back 5. 
Connor did what Connor does well and protected Jack too. 
Jack was out of this world and on another level from everyone else on the pitch last night - he oozes class  

Their only real threat was Saint-Maximin, who reminds me a lot of when we had Traore - lightning pace and very direct, but little end product  

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Only one MOTM match - Grealish was head and shoulders above anyone within 100 miles.

He's an absolute joy to watch. Knows he is good enough to play at his own pace and the game will revolve around him. Pure class. That one piece of play in the second half where he picked the ball up on the half way line with about 4 players around him and just played 2 or 3 one touch passes and strolled past them all just summed him up. I could have watched him all night.

• Like 1

It really did remind me a lot of the Boro game from last season.

We battered them on the day. And i remember after the game i was thinking "How the hell are Boro in the top 6"?

A similar thought came to mind yesterday. How are Newcastle not in the bottom 3? How the f*** did they beat Spuds and Man Ure?

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

My thanks too to the idiot who decided to close the A34 for some roadworks tonight.

Call me what you like but I dropped a quid down a manhole and there was no way I was leaving it there.

• Haha 2

Â