Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/19 at 23:59

10 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Poor game management and use of subs YET AGAIN and for me, we are very fortunate to have survived it.  I dont understand brining lansbury on after 91 minutes.  Pointless.  He gets a very poor for the 2nd half, as i feel that there were plenty of great options on the bench to address the balance of play, and he did nothing.  It worked on this occassion, but hasnt on many others, and i really feel it was dumb luck, not skill

What? Address the balance of play? What makes you believe bringing on subs would have improved our performance any further? Subs don't always change games for the best. Anyway we were still trying to score with 1 minute left on the clock. They had a decent few minutes at the start of the 2nd half, but we were the better team for the rest of the half and should have score more. Smith set us up perfectly and we won, bearing in mind it's the first time we've beaten them at VP in 9 years. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

McGinn? What's going on with super john ? 

Wes I accept is never going to be a regular reliable player but super john ? 

Hopefully that's his worst game for us out the way.

Well done everyone

2nd half started sluggish and grew into it.

Wes ? Winning the odd ball and laying it off was it !, missed 2 easy chances. Not good.

Dont know where people are seeing he kept their defence tied up from ? They took a defender off as no need to keep him occupied. Please to god move 1 second faster then you will be in position to score.

Decent performance with CH shine and Jack's free kicks wins the game.

We need a forward !!

McGinn was excellent I thought, not  sure what he didn't do bar score. 

Edited by kiltorken
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Good win. 

Gave motm to Heaton cause the saves saved this. Special mention to Konsa, well played. 

Wesley absolute shite again. Better at dropping deep, better work rate and effort, but quality isn't there. Looks like an amateur. Replace asap. 

The saves were good but they were ones you’d expect him to make surely?  Agree with Konsa. Looks a real talent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The saves were good but they were ones you’d expect him to make surely?  Agree with Konsa. Looks a real talent. 

Maybe you'd expect HIM to make those saves, but I think you're selling him a little short mate. Heaton was excellent, my MotM as well.

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Maybe you'd expect HIM to make those saves, but I think you're selling him a little short mate. Heaton was excellent, my MotM as well.

Yeh I’d expect him to make them saves because he is a top keeper. Taking nothing away from him. He’s massive player for us. Especially when you see who would replace him if he got injured. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We need to talk about how good Guilbert was tonight.  Absolutely superb, up and down the field.  Saint-Maximin never got a look in.

Underrated player, wish Grealish passed him towards the end. He deserved a shot on goal for the monumental effort of steaming up the pitch in the dying seconds

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We need to talk about how good Guilbert was tonight.  Absolutely superb, up and down the field.  Saint-Maximin never got a look in.

One of my favourite players. Goes under the radar in the media because he was a cheap signing. Keeps it up and he’ll be looking at a French call up soon. 

• Like 1

Another home win i had to sell my ticket back to the club for - frustrating to keep missing them! No complaints really though - good performance all round tonight.

Jack MOTM with Hourihane and Guilbert very close.

V reminiscent of some of those Villa Brentford games in the recent past...

Thought Wes played well btw, despite missing a good chance

Konsa did himself proud then?, really nice that we have good depth in central defence.

I wonder if Konsa might keep that first team spot on merit if engels is fit next week?

happy targett/guilbert played well, & Heaton is just a monster, two amazing saves!

hoe did El Ghazi play? (goal aside), pity we didnt score from open play though, a direct free kick and free kick assist.......would have ben nice to seem some good play produce open play goals.

finally, happy to see Hause on the bench & not Taylor! (i suppose that was only becuase Engels wasnt in the squad though (as Konsa wasnt on the bench as the CD sub))

18 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I guess so, typical Villa! Either we need to buy some new players who suit his game and can help him score, or he needs replacing because he doesn't do enough as a number 9, in my opinion.

Completely agree.  Looks to me like DS wants to play with natural wingers, putting crosses in: Wes isnt particularly good in the air.

We don't gernerally hoof it, good job as hes isnt good in the air, but his hold up play isnt very good either, and neither is his passing.

His best quality is dropping deep pulling out defenders and creating space, but he isnt good enough at this to cover up his other inadequacies.  I think Davis (yes, i know hes injured) is better at the things Wes does to a far greater degree than Wes is better at what Davis isnt good at, which is scoring goals.

There are far better players out there for similar money, but it all depends on what DSs long term plan is.

All players being fit, based on what ive seen this season, Davis suits our play far better than Wes does, as his is better aerially, is stronger, holds it up better and has better distribution and pace.  The only thing Wes does better than davis is score, and he isnt hugely better at that.

Wide players and a striker are vital for me in jan.

27 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He was so rubbish. So funny seeing Steve’s good old tactics of chasing a game by bringing on a unit and hoofing it forward. Totally nullified any threat they had!

Really? He should have scored at least one, and laid on 2 chances for his team mates within 10 mins of stepping into the game.  I personally thought we handle him very poorly.

13 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think he's superb, but how fast is Miximikimin ? He looked as he blitzed Guilbert at times and Guilbert is no slowpoke to be fair. 

47 minutes ago, terrytini said:

To the big mouthed prat behind me in the Upper Holte who decided to verbally assault me....

Yes...I was shouting at the players to sharpen up at the start of the Second half. Because it’s our Achilles heel.

But in between that I was singing my heart out, as I do, for 90 minutes, every game, Home and Away.

If you see this Post, look back at my several thousand Posts on here and see how rarely I criticise,

You spoilt my night, as you know, because I left after 55 minutes. I felt sick after that confrontation.

The first time I’ve ever left a game early

And whilst I will continue to go to the Away games, I’m not going back up the Holte as long as there is a possibility you will be there.

Really sorry to hear you had a bad experience today. Hopefully you won't let one idiot put you off going back to the home matches as the team could do with your support. UTV.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Wes was fine, pulled defenders around and made some good runs but wasn't played in as often as perhaps he should've been, as for better or worse, our midfield likes to shoot!

I think our midfielders have a better chance of scoring than our main striker, so I am good with that.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think he's superb, but how fast is Miximikimin ? He looked as he blitzed Guilbert at times and Guilbert is no slowpoke to be fair. 

I didn't see him go past Guilbert at all, but yes he's absolutely rapid.  Just like Yedlin.  Neither of them appear to be much better at football than Usain Bolt.

Â