Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/19 at 23:59

Konsa looks a class defender in the making.  I thought on another night he would deserve MOTM but Jack was clearly the best player on the park.  I just hate how dozy we are after half time, especially Mings.  He should be the one making sure we start the second half properly.

• Like 2

Not bad for a Championship midfielder tonight from Hourihane ;)

So, so, so good for it not to be us that looked like total strangers going forward. They huffed and puffed after they got a bollocking but they were clearly not as well coached and set up as us. That is not something that you could say until very recently so thank you Dean Smith, O'Kelly and JT. 

We were different class to them with the ball and if we were more clinical should have been at least 3-0. I think our home formation and line up should be what we've seen tonight, Konsa will improve and showed some class touches to balance for the odd weird nervy moment. Overall great movement, patient when we needed, quick one and two touch when we needed too and most of all intelligent football. Been a long time since you could say that about us too, from the smart free kick that opened the scoring to some very clever movement and one touch stuff late on to carve them open once they'd gone to a 4 at the back.

Excellent game for us, and a vital 3 points. Just so happy we are no longer the type of club that would employ Bruce (or Pulis/Allardyce etc.)

• Like 2

Felt we were good forst half, credit to DS, think he sent them out the right way and the right selection. 1st half got him a v good rating.

I dont know what he said at half time, but half the team switched off and a few of them were dead on their feet come 60 minutes.  I feel we only didnt concede due how bad they were rather than us doing well.  He really could and should have made changes at that stage as players were flagging and newcastle were well on top.

Then when carroll came on and we looked dreadful defensively, and couldnt handle him, DS still did nothing.

Poor game management and use of subs YET AGAIN and for me, we are very fortunate to have survived it.  I dont understand brining lansbury on after 91 minutes.  Pointless.  He gets a very poor for the 2nd half, as i feel that there were plenty of great options on the bench to address the balance of play, and he did nothing.  It worked on this occassion, but hasnt on many others, and i really feel it was dumb luck, not skill.

I'm delighted with the result, but DS frustrates me massively.  I really dont see anything from him to show he's learning.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought he played really well. They couldn’t handle him. He should have scored though.

I mean he ran about (kept his men occupied), but that's a minimum requirement, which he hasn't been doing enough of this season. Might be a confidence issue with him, it's hard to tell. He's not in the box enough to tell.

5 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I thought Wes was okay, was a handful for the defenders which created a lot of space for Jack to work his magic in. 

We could have had a few more there, controlled the game really well. Heaton was excellent as well. 

Decent score on Whoscored with a YC and that's done on metrics not opinions

• Like 2

Very good performance by Villa. Back four solid with Ming's usual classy self.

I wondered whether Hourihane would be Premiership standard. Answered that tonight.

McGinn has went off the boil a bit but still put in a workmanlike performance chasing everything.

Still not sure about Gazza or Wesley and would suggest that those are two positions the manager might look at in January.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

Â