January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Are we really arguing that strength isn't an integral part of excelling in a contact sport?  The biggest difference in Jack's game between now and 4 years ago is that he is strong enough to ride the challenges of prem level defenders.  

Another example, Aaron Connolly, the 19 year old striker from Brighton, got bullied by Mings all game.  It was almost comical how easily Mings would ease him off the ball.

You can go down the list of technically excellent players who truly didn't become stars until they physically developed enough to deal with getting clattered by grown men 90 minutes every week. 

As far as Louie Barry goes, he is a stick. Which most 16 year olds are. Imagine him getting clattered by Mings once or twice. We wouldn't see him again for weeks. 

• Like 4

Just read Leeds have been linked with Jean Kevin Augustin who is on loan at Monaco from Leipzig. Expected him to be signed in the summer be interesting if we go back in for him if his indeed available. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That was too random not to be true, or at least something in it. 
Maybe he is a fallback option?

Did we ever establish who the player was with the agent with the man bun ? Was it Pereiro? He will be on a bosman in the summer so maybe we have/will offer him a pre-contract? 

15 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Are we really arguing that strength isn't an integral part of excelling in a contact sport?  The biggest difference in Jack's game between now and 4 years ago is that he is strong enough to ride the challenges of prem level defenders.  

Another example, Aaron Connolly, the 19 year old striker from Brighton, got bullied by Mings all game.  It was almost comical how easily Mings would ease him off the ball.

You can go down the list of technically excellent players who truly didn't become stars until they physically developed enough to deal with getting clattered by grown men 90 minutes every week. 

As far as Louie Barry goes, he is a stick. Which most 16 year olds are. Imagine him getting clattered by Mings once or twice. We wouldn't see him again for weeks. 

Read as far as contact sport.

Football in 2020 is as much a contact sport as Chess is.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Did we ever establish who the player was with the agent with the man bun ? Was it Pereiro? He will be on a bosman in the summer so maybe we have/will offer him a pre-contract? 

Thought somebody had identified man bun man as one of Suso’s people.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Wonder what the situation is with Gaston Pereiro at PSV ... That one has gone quiet. 

I was thinking the same earlier. I have just stumbled across the following article on news now:- HITC Article regarding Pereiro

Gaston Pereiro has been dropped to PSV's reserves with the Dutch giants desperate to sell the Aston Villa target before the transfer window comes to an end, according to Voetbal Primeur.

The Uruguayan international is one of the most naturally gifted footballers in the Eredivisie and might even end up with the Goal of the Season award thanks to his sublime, Eric Cantona-style chip against Feyenoord in December.

But this all matters little to PSV with Pereiro refusing to extend a contract which is due to expire in July. According to VP, technical director John de Jong is doing his best to find a buyer for the out-of-favour winger as PSV aim to avoid losing one of their star players for free.

I reckon a late move in the window may be on the cards here for a reduced fee.

Edited by NeilS
spelling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

I mentioned in the last match thread that I think Konza could do with beefing up as well, too many of our players just don't seem as strong as the average midfield and defence we come up against.

Adama Traore is another good example, yes he was always a bit hench, but he has found a way to build muscle and keep explosiveness and agility too. He has kept his speed and can now brush people off.

I saw Salah score a goal the other night as well with pure strength and speed to hold his tracker off.

Alot of our look like "A nice bunch of lads".

Tyrone is obviously a beast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

It depends on how the player is utilised, if a lightweight player is running at Mings with the ball at his feet then Mings can't use his strength without risking a free kick/penalty. But overall your right strength is an important attribute. Louis is very direct and has a real confidence in his playing style, he won't be phased by playing against Premier league players. We have a real prospect on our hands with him. 

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I was thinking the same earlier. I have just stumbled across the following article on news now:- HITC Article regarding Pereiro

Gaston Pereiro has been dropped to PSV's reserves with the Dutch giants desperate to sell the Aston Villa target before the transfer window comes to an end, according to Voetbal Primeur.

The Uruguayan international is one of the most naturally gifted footballers in the Eredivisie and might even end up with the Goal of the Season award thanks to his sublime, Eric Cantona-style chip against Feyenoord in December.

But this all matters little to PSV with Pereiro refusing to extend a contract which is due to expire in July. According to VP, technical director John de Jong is doing his best to find a buyer for the out-of-favour winger as PSV aim to avoid losing one of their star players for free.

I reckon a late move in the window may be on the cards here for a reduced fee.

Isn't he just a left footed clone of Anwar El Ghazi? 

18 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Isn't he just a left footed clone of Anwar El Ghazi? 

I actually think he's more a really really shit Grealish. The stuff I've seen he isn't a winger, but more an inside forward/playmaker. Doesn't come across as fast either. 

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Within the accounts then yes as it’s a financial outlay on a player. But in reality no. On his announcement, Smith was not there the academy director was. He didn’t have a video confirmation signing etc. He’s signed for the acadeny as numerous people do.

You have persuaded me. I agree.

• Thanks 1