January Transfers 2019/20

sne

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he's going to come in and become a regular in the first team squad or anything like that, just given how highly rated he is he might get some minutes off the bench just to give him some experience and help with his development, think that will only happen this season if we know our fate before the last game of the season, maybe we will give a few more of our youngsters a chance in that scenario as well. For the most part he will be involved with the U23s, which is already an higher level than you'd expect a sixteen year old to be playing at.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Don't you think that at £3m he should be classed as a signing, notwithstanding his age.

Within the accounts then yes as it’s a financial outlay on a player. But in reality no. On his announcement, Smith was not there the academy director was. He didn’t have a video confirmation signing etc. He’s signed for the acadeny as numerous people do.

If physical strength was the be all end all, all teams would fill their squads with bodybuilders. I used Silva as an obvious example. He's far from the only one.

Put it this way. Rank the following qualities in order of importance in a striker.

Pace, awareness, skill, finishing, tenacity., strength. If strength isn't one of the bottom two, you're wrong.

Just for clarity, I'm not asking for him to be thrown in.

Edited by Mazrim

Hepburn-Murphy made his debut at the age of Sixteen, Grealish played a full season for Notts County at the age seventeen, think he might have been sixteen at the start of that season, both are of those were very slight, you don't have to be fully developed physically to make your debut, what you have to be care of is playing players that young too much as that can have it's affects, but giving them game time here and there if they're good enough (stating the obvious) can have it's benefits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

If physical strength was the be all end all, all teams would fill their squads with bodybuilders. I used Silva as an obvious example. He's far from the only one.

Put it this way. Rank the following qualities in order of importance in a striker.

Pace, awareness, skill, finishing, tenacity., strength. If strength isn't one of the bottom two, you're wrong.

Just for clarity, I'm not asking for him to be thrown in.

Far too simplistic and really depends on the system you're playing.

Chris Wood has 10 goals for Burnley and is absolutely pivotal to the way they play - could you please rank his attributes based on what you've stated?  If strength is in his bottom two, you're wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Hepburn-Murphy made his debut at the age of Sixteen, Grealish played a full season for Notts County at the age seventeen, think he might have been sixteen at the start of that season, both are of those were very slight, you don't have to be fully developed physically to make your debut, what you have to be care of is playing players that young too much as that can have it's affects, but giving them game time here and there if they're good enough (stating the obvious) can have it's benefits.

RHM made his debut but he was way too slight to make a difference—it seemed to be the key thing that held him back. @Mazrim You can be small and strong. He'd be up against Premier League defenders. I think it's important so that he's not bullied off the ball. Jack played League 1 at 17, not Premier League. He is also a different type of player by all accounts of Barry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Hepburn-Murphy made his debut so young because Sherwood wanted to take the Mickey, I wouldn't say it's particularly aided his development as it probably added more expectation on him than he would otherwise of got.

Grealish, although slight, plays in a different position and and has the right mentality to deal with cloggers trying to kick him in the air, very few players have that mentality, even experienced ones.

I think for a forward who will at times have his back to goal, and who old pro center backs would definitely want a piece of, needs to have the right mentality and/or physical attributes before you should throw them in. Like Rooney did for example. I don't know about young Barry's mentality but he doesn't look strong enough just yet from the pictures I've seen.

I'd imagine we might see glimpses of him next season, but it's difficult to predict how quickly any player will develop at such a young age.

7 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Ashley Young and Fabian Delph have the smallest legs in football and they're fully developed "men".  It all depends on your play style.

Why the quotes around the word "men", do you know something we don't?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.milanlive.it/2020/01/23/milan-futuro-piatek-paqueta-ultimissime/

Basically says there that Piatek has decided to stay at Milan till the summer at least, he wants to fight for a place etc. and will talk to the club again in June about his future. There was another article yesterday about him wanting champions league football at his next club too. That could be the end of that one then. 

• Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, Rolta said:

RHM made his debut but he was way too slight to make a difference—it seemed to be the key thing that held him back. @Mazrim You can be small and strong. He'd be up against Premier League defenders. I think it's important so that he's not bullied off the ball. Jack played League 1 at 17, not Premier League. He is also a different type of player by all accounts of Barry.

Jack also had to bulk up to be more effective  

20 minutes ago, romavillan said:

https://www.milanlive.it/2020/01/23/milan-futuro-piatek-paqueta-ultimissime/

Basically says there that Piatek has decided to stay at Milan till the summer at least, he wants to fight for a place etc. and will talk to the club again in June about his future. There was another article yesterday about him wanting champions league football at his next club too. That could be the end of that one then. 

Pretty sure we'd reached the 'end of that one' a while back..........I don't think it ever actually started to warrant an ending in fact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Far too simplistic and really depends on the system you're playing.

Chris Wood has 10 goals for Burnley and is absolutely pivotal to the way they play - could you please rank his attributes based on what you've stated?  If strength is in his bottom two, you're wrong.

My argument is exactly that. Too simple. You can't say strength is essential. It might be an important part of Chris Woods game, and I would argue his awareness, tenacity and finishing has had more to do with his 10 goals than strength. So I still think if you're prioritising a striker primarily by strength, you're wrong. It's old thinking.