January Transfers 2019/20

sne

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

You'd have Nakamba and Luiz over McGinn?   That's not too far off the team that got hammered by City, Watford and Southampton.  The NEW's had better be some awesome players!

We obviously need a striker, and probably a winger, but we need almost as badly a player or two who can help get the ball from the defense and move it past the center line without giving it away.

Heaton

Konsa - Engels - Mings

Guilbert - Nakamba - Luiz - Targett

Grealish - NEW

NEW

We played this yesterday

Nyland

Elmo- Konsa- Mings- Hause-Taylor

Luiz-Drinkwater-Hourihane

Grealish

El Ghazi

Are you saying the above formations are the same?? Also against Southampton and Watford we played 433/4231. This setup is nothing like those. 

Edited by Danishlad

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . because in all likelihood he won't be able to play a meaningful part this season, and perhaps not for a couple of years.

When Smith comes out and says 'we're close to signing 4 players', most people don't expect one of them to be a long-term youth project.

Exactly, can't believe it even needs explaining

We need a striker in by Wednesday, there's no way we can go into this Brighton game without a recognized striker. Two days training with the squad should be enough.

It's easy to say sat behind my keyboard but why did we not have a striker lined up in December ready to come in during January? We knew we were going to need one.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

We need a striker in by Wednesday, there's no way we can go into this Brighton game without a recognized striker. Two days training with the squad should be enough.

It's easy to say sat behind my keyboard but why did we not have a striker lined up in December ready to come in during January? We knew we were going to need one.

I think it's easier said than done. Even if the position remains the same our budget now has to cover two strikers, not just one.

Could also be our targets will become available depending on the selling club getting a replacement, and that's what we're waiting for to happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

We may well have done but now the selling club might now want to sell , or wants more ..We were interested in Batshuai at Chelsea but they want 45 mil there is no way we are going to pay that.Piatek at Milan they clearly want to get an auction going.

Hardly any moves have happened this window yet , it will unfortuantly go down to the last few days or even hours.

It still bemuses me when i think back to the end of the Summer transfer window & what Dean Smith said when quizzed about going into the season with only Wesley an unknown striker having been signed... "I think we'll be fine and we always have January" or words to that effect.

So here we now are two weeks into January, Wesley out for the season, no other playable striker and all we are getting is excuses as to how difficult it is to sign players in such a short window!

Go figure!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Yes, it's easy from the comfort of our underpants and behind our keyboard, but it's such an obvious point that the management really should've done something about it. It is sickeningly similar to last year's lack of CBs. And yet here we are.

frustrated keyboard GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

It won’t just be Spurs though. There will be lots of interest from lots of top clubs. £100m minimum.

Obviously. Every man and his dog will be after him and even with all that demand he still won’t go for 100m in the championship. Even Ronaldo in his prime wouldn’t have, simply for the facts that he would want out + FFP would force our hand and we would lose a lot of bargaining power. 

In the premier league, completely different story and I’d be disappointed if we sold Jack for less than 100.

It is very similar to the CB situation which makes it all the more frustrating as we made the mistake so recently felt the consequences and then proceeded to make the same mistake in the next window. 

It also shows my fees get inflated so much because if you dont make the correct decision in one window in can be too late by the time you get to Jan because you are often forced to wait until right at the end of the month. 

Remember that by end of Jan most of us though any chance of the playoffs was gone. Mings was good but too late. 

It was only a ridiculous run (one that wont be repeated in the Prem) that saved us. 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

This time last year, when Villa had no centre backs, I was looking at League One for centre backs who were performing well. I looked on some site and found two names. One I can't remember and the other was Ethan Pinnock. Big, strappy lad who plays left-sided centre back and is now playing at Brentford in the Championship's best defence. 

Gems can be found from all over the place. Alli and Gomez were plucked from the lower leagues. Are there any strikers further down the leagues that are hitting the net regularly? 

The problem with what Villa has done is they have went abroad/Lower Leagues and signed  the majority of their players.  Same thing happened when Randy went on his final spending spree with Paul Lambert.   Players with possible potential but never kicked a ball in the premiership.  This is what is going to cause our downfall again.

It is not by chance that our best signing over the summer was a proven Premiership player in Heaton.  If we want to stay up this is where our striker,wingers have to come from and i am not talking punts on the likes of Drinkwater.  

Either pay the money or prepare the team to go down.

24 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

I think it's easier said than done. Even if the position remains the same our budget now has to cover two strikers, not just one.

Could also be our targets will become available depending on the selling club getting a replacement, and that's what we're waiting for to happen.

Stuff that, if we only have certain money and it’s the difference between one quality striker or two average strikers then get one quality striker.  Maybe foolish but Davis should be back soon and while not great, we need some quality upfront who will make the difference and not two average strikers who make little difference apart from being bodies in the squad.  Surely we can’t be that unlucky to lose a fourth striker to injury and we desperately need quality.

Just now, bobzy said:

Grealish for £100m if we’re relegated ffs :crylaugh: 

I know. I love Grealish and he is a top PL player, but if we go down we will kiss the hand of a club that offers us £50million.

Opening bids will likely start at £30mil. 

Let's get real VillaTalk.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

It’s frustrating for sure, but I’m fairly certain the higher ups at the club aren’t just sitting round a table right now going ‘you know what, shall we just not bother lads? anyone fancy laser quest?’

I think the players did that instead yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

We’re in a terrible negotiating position and I’m guessing the club are trying their best to find us a striker without being fleeced. 

I think we’ve shat the bed on that one, we are going to be massively fleeced, it’s just whether we get anything back from it.

it almost makes sense now to go big and get a quality striker with the potential of more returns than a Glen Murray type on 50k per week for 5 years and basically being of no use after this season.

i’m even less fussed about the supposed harmony in the squad now as well.  Surely getting a top quality striker in on 100k per week will uplift spirits in the dressing room and more importantly it will show to Jack we are serious.  Imagine how Jack would view us if we only got Murray in or two Murray types...

Plus we need some quality at the top end of the pitch and not just a body.

Yes we more than likely have some FFP worries but is that worse than relegation? I’m not sure it is.

• Like 2

Just now, midian said:

Ive seen we are £2mil short for Piatek if it’s right just pay the £2mil and get him!

VT Kickstarter campaign, anyone? 

Or we could put a massive cardboard thermometer outside VP and we could colour in a nanometer of it with felt tip for each £1 we donate. 

Then Mourinho turns up at Piatek's house with a basket of mini muffins and we're done. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1