Cameron Archer

Zatman

He's good, better than I thought for sure.

Not sure he's ready for PL myself. He'll have to work at everything else as well as keeping up the goalscoring.

Doesn't have much of a presence, and it is really really really hard to play on your own up front at that size. A partner will help him but I'm not sure two strikers will be a thing that often next year.

A guy called Gerrard made an off the cuff remark about Preston needing to get their 'naughts out' if he wanted Archer because he isn't going on loan next season, and seems that's been taken as him being for sale at the right price, but I don't think that's how Gerrard meant it looking at the context of his quotes.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's good, better than I thought for sure.

Not sure he's ready for PL myself. He'll have to work at everything else as well as keeping up the goalscoring.

Doesn't have much of a presence, and it is really really really hard to play on your own up front at that size. A partner will help him but I'm not sure two strikers will be a thing that often next year.

Michael Owen didn’t have much of a presence…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

A guy called Gerrard made an off the cuff remark about Preston needing to get their 'naughts out' if he wanted Archer because he isn't going on loan next season, and seems that's been taken as him being for sale at the right price, but I don't think that's how Gerrard meant it looking at the context of his quotes.

He also said something along the lines of everyone wants Cam Archer and good players cost a lot of money. I was a bit surprised, he sounded more open to it than I thought he’d be. I would be gobsmacked and disappointed if we sold him. Maybe he’s just bigging him up. 

Or he's already setting in motion the idea that villa don't need a new £50m striker this summer because we already have one

I don't think we will sell him, maybe someone has put the feelers out and this is Gerrard saying in effect everyone has a price but archers is very very high already so it won't happen 

I don't think we'll loan him either, keep him for the first half of the season with the cup and see how we look 

• Like 2

If Archer stays with the first team then I expect Ings or Watkins to go. I can't see Gerrard not getting this fabled overhaul of the squad and bringing in one of his own strikers. I think we'll bring one in, sell one (+Keinan) and retain Archer as the third striker we know Gerrard would like to have in the squad

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Seriously needs to be in our squad next season.

This is what you call a fruitful loan spell.

its a tough one, if he isnt going to be starting, i would still send him out on loan for another season, banging goals in for a full 40+ matches would do him the world of good experience wise, then assess him again at the end of next season, he will still be young (he wont be 21 until half way through next season), Tammy Abraham was on loan in the champ at a similar age, and his loan to us did him the world of good.

i think it really wouldnt be good for him sitting on the bench 95% of the time, its exactly what we did to Davis, he should have gone out on loan 3 years ago.....we might have seen a different Davis if we managed loans properly.

• Like 3

Literally forced his way into the conversation out of nowhere this season and refusing to allow himself to drop off. Whether it's the Football League Trophy, League Cup games and now his loan spell, he's made himself impossible to ignore.

Yes it's a debate whether he should go on loan again or be in the first team squad, that in itself is incredible considering most hadn't heard of him until August.

The others who we've been talking about for years should really take note, not as a criticism to them - all young players develop at their own pace and in their own way - but Archer has taken what looked like a middling U23/youth career after his Moors loan and took it by the scruff of the neck and drove himself into this position.

Massive kudos to the kid.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

If Archer stays with the first team then I expect Ings or Watkins to go. I can't see Gerrard not getting this fabled overhaul of the squad and bringing in one of his own strikers. I think we'll bring one in, sell one (+Keinan) and retain Archer as the third striker we know Gerrard would like to have in the squad

this is the decision that I think it comes to. What we do with Davis & Archer depends on if either Ings or Watkins go to me. We don't really need to have the three of them (+ an additional one that it feels like Gerrard has hinted at)... 

15 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Michael Owen didn’t have much of a presence…

Owen who played alongside another striker almost his whole career? As I said, that'll be preferable for Archer.

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

this is the decision that I think it comes to. What we do with Davis & Archer depends on if either Ings or Watkins go to me. We don't really need to have the three of them (+ an additional one that it feels like Gerrard has hinted at)... 

If we decide to go with the 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 consistently, it's possible?

Just seen his goal now, love the way he finishes. No nonsense when he gets in the penalty area which is really promising.

Would be perfect forward coming through if we could combine that with Davis hold up play but ultimately with his age he has to get the chance that Kienan never really did post 2017.

• Like 1

Â