Cameron Archer

Zatman

I think he'll be kept around the squad for the first half of the season and then go on Loan again for the 2nd half. I do think he needs another Loan to get more minutes and goals. I still think a Suarez deal makes sense for us for 1 year

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think he'll be kept around the squad for the first half of the season and then go on Loan again for the 2nd half. I do think he needs another Loan to get more minutes and goals. I still think a Suarez deal makes sense for us for 1 year

The most likely scenario.  If Suarez is signed, having Archer train with him for half a season and then go back on loan to the Championship, he'd be ready for Prem in 23/24, by which stage Watkins or Ings would have moved on.

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Without looking at his stats on Wikipedia, can anyone explain why he only scored 5 in 20 matches for Solihull Moors in the National League to scoring regularly in The Championship for Preston? To me, it doesn’t make any sense, does it suggest that the step up in quality isn’t that big? I don’t know, maybe someone can explain edit- I just checked, he scored 4 in 26 matches for Solihull Moors in the National League to scoring 5 goals in 10 matches for PNE in The Championship

I think I read he was played mostly out wide and there was a manager change mid season too

Most young strikers struggle in their first loan spell, Barry and Young had terrible times earlier this season too. Harry Kane also had some very poor loan spells in his early days - a great example for young Archer because Kane was never really considered anything special until out of nowhere he just emerged on the scene and then kept getting better until he reached the top. I think it’s just about building experience and then hoping at some point all the pieces suddenly click together. For some players it does click and for other players it never does and that’s why so many promising prospects fall out of the game or end up at a very low level

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Id rather have archer back up or starting with Ings than sign Suarez. The only positive I can think of bringing Suarez in is his tenacity. Someone who wants to win at any costs, we don’t have that. I obviously don’t want any on the pitch madness from him, but he’ll demand a lot from the team 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I think I read he was played mostly out wide and there was a manager change mid season too

Most young strikers struggle in their first loan spell, Barry and Young had terrible times earlier this season too. Harry Kane also had some very poor loan spells in his early days - a great example for young Archer because Kane was never really considered anything special until out of nowhere he just emerged on the scene and then kept getting better until he reached the top. I think it’s just about building experience and then hoping at some point all the pieces suddenly click together. For some players it does click and for other players it never does and that’s why so many promising prospects fall out of the game or end up at a very low level

This.  I also think it's a case of playing with better players.  All due respect to Solihull Moors, but they haven't likely got the players at the level where they can pick out his movement, read his runs etc.  

15 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Id rather have archer back up or starting with Ings than sign Suarez. The only positive I can think of bringing Suarez in is his tenacity. Someone who wants to win at any costs, we don’t have that. I obviously don’t want any on the pitch madness from him, but he’ll demand a lot from the team 

I think signing Suarez or someone with his experience and stature is a similar thing to signing Young in that he's been there and got the t-shirt at the very highest level.  Archer (and even Watkins) could benefit from him every day in training, seeing his competitiveness, and winning mentality.  I remember as young player picking up loads of great info from the seasoned senior players, just little comments and suggestions from them and seeing the way they did certain things. I'm not sure how true all the Suarez rumours are but I could only see him coming in to be in that type of mentorship role for Cameron and other young players.... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

I think signing Suarez or someone with his experience and stature is a similar thing to signing Young in that he's been there and got the t-shirt at the very highest level.  Archer (and even Watkins) could benefit from him every day in training, seeing his competitiveness, and winning mentality.  I remember as young player picking up loads of great info from the seasoned senior players, just little comments and suggestions from them and seeing the way they did certain things. I'm not sure how true all the Suarez rumours are but I could only see him coming in to be in that type of mentorship role for Cameron and other young players.... 

It would benefit Archer immensely training with Suarez everyday (minus the biting and racist remarks).

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It would benefit Archer immensely training with Suarez everyday (minus the biting and racist remarks).

Hopefully he has matured enough to cut that stuff out of his personality now....

Clinical finisher....but doing it at the top level, against quality defenders is different gravy.

but all he can do, is do what he is doing......and he is doing it well.

I like the boy, my Jemaine Defoe.........................hopefully.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

Clinical finisher....but doing it at the top level, against quality defenders is different gravy.

After all the years of being linked to the original, we just had to wait for the regen to come through the academy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, FLVillan said:

I'm not sure how true all the Suarez rumours are but I could only see him coming in to be in that type of mentorship role for Cameron and other young players.... 

Help them cut their teeth. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Very true. Levels above in the PL

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Villa players actually called him Tevez in training. He looks like he's got a decent physique on him, bit of a bull.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

Very true. Levels above in the PL

Massive difference in the prem to the Championship. But the one thing that makes me still think he would score in the prem is his setting up to shoot. He tends to get the ball under instant control which means he can hit the ball slightly earlier . And thats either setting up with his left or right. Genuinely cannot tell which is his stronger side which is a massive plus for him. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Clinical finisher....but doing it at the top level, against quality defenders is different gravy

For sure, I don’t disagree with this at all, but to be fair perhaps his best goal this season was against Chelsea who are OK.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

like I said what I like about that goal vs blackpool is his use of space - that's what he wont get in the PL, both the positioning and the speed of recovery is better, VVD doesnt let him drift away as easy as that

but the finish is the same no matter where he is, its excellent, he can definitely finish which is at least half the battle

On the Preston forums, they generally love him, but one criticism seems to be that he's a bit selfish/shows a lack of awareness of teammates (whichever it is). Apparently ignored a pass against Blackpool which could have made it 2-0.

Â