Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

The problem with idiotic fans, is that they'll probably see a backlash and just get defensive, spouting the usual 'snowflake' stuff. I hope they're identified and banned from the ground, for a couple of seasons at least.

Maybe a punishment more personal to them individually, as opposed to being lumped in with a group of others chanting, would make them actually think about what they're being punished for.

41 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Agreed, but I'm glad the club has come out to try and stop it before it picked up momentum in the media.

That what I'm happy about. Cut it off to stop other fools from singing it.

The club did the right thing, condemning it will put a stop to it faster than ignoring it and letting a media storm die down.  I'm proud the club came out quickly, it shows actions will be taken.

As for the people singing it, from the video it looks like mostly a young group of fans, probably 17-25 years old.  Whilst they need to be aware that the chant is not acceptable and it is racist, I'd hope their punishments involve education.  The problem with young football fans coming from shit areas  and some not-so-shit areas (assuming), is that these tropes like black people have massive penises are normal and probably not deemed as offensive.  I've seen several people on social media saying "i'd love it if someone assumed I've got a big dick", like it's nothing.  

If the people found show no remorse, then ban them for life.  But I can understand some of them probably not quite understand the connotations of the words they were using.  For example the "his master" part, I've seen defended with "McGinn is the best player, so he's the master, plus it rhymes" - well.. that maybe, but it's the connection of the words which is the problem.

So yes.  Not good for those involved, I'm please the club have come out, I'm glad those responsible will be punished, but I hope the punishment includes telling them why what they were chanting was racist. 

• Like 4

Good statement from the club, but it should never have gotten to this point.

This was bubbling around in our fanbase got a while and routinely swept under the carpet in the name of "banter".

First it was the Tammy chants, then it was Konsa. Now they're bold enough to try this absurd Marvelous chant. If it's not nipped in the bud like this, these people become brazen. Very happy with how the club handled this.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 11:03, StefanAVFC said:

Shame our fans have taken the stupid, racist Konsa chant and adapted it for Marvelous now.

OMG Only seeing this now! Disgraceful, ban the lot of the brain dead fools. Name and shame also if they can. Disgraceful!!

53 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

First it was the Tammy chants, then it was Konsa. Now they're bold enough to try this absurd Marvelous chant. If it's not nipped in the bud like this, these people become brazen. Very happy with how the club handled this.

Yup. Can't keep writing these off as isolated incidents. 

I saw one guy on Twitter say that they meant McGinn is his manager but manager doesn't rhyme with rasta (which doesn't rhyme with Nakamba, but we'll ignore that for now) so they used master instead and we're all just being PC snowflakes calling everything racist. I can never quite shake the feeling that the internet was a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I saw one guy on Twitter say that they meant McGinn is his manager but manager doesn't rhyme with rasta (which doesn't rhyme with Nakamba, but we'll ignore that for now) so they used master instead and we're all just being PC snowflakes calling everything racist. I can never quite shake the feeling that the internet was a mistake.

I would debate the mistake started at roughly the amoeba stage. ....

• Haha 1

Always chuckled back in the day when hopeless pundits would always compare any new talented black player to being the next Viera. I don't quite know what's wrong with these blokes in this instance, most probably ignorance, so agree with others - get them educated and make it very public. Any resistance to that plan - ban them. 

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Who knows, maybe someone on here will even compare him to a white player at some point rather than every single person comparing him to kante / gueye / makalele / ndidi / insert random other black midfielder here....

whoa hold your horses there...whilst i've not seen any such comparisons, makalele is generally used as the benchmark for the most complete CDM. pundits still refer to the position as the 'makalele role'.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Who knows, maybe someone on here will even compare him to a white player at some point rather than every single person comparing him to kante / gueye / makalele / ndidi / insert random other black midfielder here....

go on then...

1 minute ago, blandy said:

go on then...

er...next owen hargreaves

there are several kind of examples but I think you're going back too far to be relevant anymore, the likes of cocu, effenburg, gattuso, Deschamps, keane, matthaus and I think kante and makelele in particular are slightly different in how they play the role, the best DMC in the last decade is white (Busquets) but I wouldn't say nakamba's game is quite the same as that though, kante is a better reference regardless of the skin colour

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

whoa hold your horses there...whilst i've not seen any such comparisons, makalele is generally used as the benchmark for the most complete CDM. pundits still refer to the position as the 'makalele role'.

not seen any? Look at the last 10 pages on here and before the idiots singing a stupid song stuff & nearly every other post mentions gueye, kante etc

Edited by LakotaDakota

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

not seen any? Look at the last 10 pages on here and before the stupid song nonsense every other post mentions gueye, kante etc

who should he be compared to?

kante is the best player in the role in the PL, gueye was the 2nd best, 3rd you are then looking at fabinho or fernandinho who are also black, then you go to torriera at arsenal who isn't well know, dier at spurs is shit (and will soon be using ndombele as the reference anyway) rice at west ham is too young

its just a natural comparison based on position and playing style and wishful thinking on his ability

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

not seen any? Look at the last 10 pages on here and before the idiots singing a stupid song stuff & nearly every other post mentions gueye, kante etc

you're exaggerating. maybe guaye mentioned as used to play for us and people see similarities? kante because he's probably the best CDM in the premiership now? makalele maybe because as i previously mentioned is the best CDM to play in the premier league (and yes, i see him as a more complete player than keane was)

anyway i've no idea why comparisons to those 3 have been made...but to suggest they've been made because they're also black is a bit unfair IMO. since we've been speaking, i've been trying to think of a white CDM in the premiership better than them...i'm still trying to think of one.

Â