Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

I’ve always thought that in football people get compared to players who they physically resemble. I remember in the 90s commentators couldn’t stop talking about David Batty as being like a young Billy Bremner and it’s something I’ve noticed ever since. Blonde players, players with curly hair, short players, tall players, bald players, seems to apply to all of them.

So don’t think that can be put down to racism, particularly in Nakambas case as that role in particular is dominated by black players so it would be hard to tell.

While we’re getting our house in order though, something I’ve never appreciated is when Benteke or Wesley are described as ‘beasts’. Never heard this about a white player however imposing they are physically.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Ji Sung Park? You'd have to be trying to be this wrong.

You need to watch Luiz actually play games then.

He's no DM and he certainly isn't a deep lying playmaker like the players you referred to.

Edited by villalad21

40 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I'm not upset about it in the slightest, Just seems a bit like a lot of lazy comparisons really. Perhaps i'm wrong and this position is currently entirely dominated by non white players so the comparisons get made but haven't seen any comparisons to Carrick, Alonso, Mascherano, Busquets etc, Hell even Gareth Barry

The comparisons wouldn't be there because he's not really like any of those players in his playing style (from what we've seen so far).

35 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I'm not upset about it in the slightest, Just seems a bit like a lot of lazy comparisons really. Perhaps i'm wrong and this position is currently entirely dominated by non white players so the comparisons get made but haven't seen any comparisons to Carrick, Alonso, Mascherano, Busquets etc, Hell even Gareth Barry

Fair play and good on you for saying you might be wrong. I can honestly say that in my case at least, I look at the PL and see that the best player in his position is Kante - he's brilliant, and regardless of the ratio of different races of players in that position, I think there's some similarities between Marvelous and Kante - they're not the same, but there's a wholly positive element of similarity between them in the way they exert control, excellent use of the ball, cover, energy and a whole lot more. I'd be sad if I wasn't "allowed" to make a comparison because it would be seen as "lazy" of me. They're two terrific players with loads of ability and also a credit to themselves and their clubs.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

How could you not know though? I find that incredible. I'd be worried about what they teach in school if that chant didn't give some of them pause.

There's some proper dim effwits - not so much not knowing, but "hard of thinking" - just too dim to realise that what they were singing was utterly braindead and offensive on multiple levels.

• Like 1

Every time one of these "racism" events take place, someone tries to take the opportunity to see just how far they can go with the hyper sensitivity before they get called on their bullshit.

I agree with alot of the posters on here, the part in that chant where they f*cked up was "McGinns his master", for obvious reasons.  (It is a shit chant)

Aside from that, I can't see many losing sleep over being accused of having a massive c#ck, having a Rasta Dad, or being similar to the best players in their respective positions who happen to be of the same race.

ANYWAY, let us please not have this be divisive,overshadow our win, general feel good factor and returning to form.

Love you all, massive cock or micropenis alike....

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, django said:

While we’re getting our house in order though, something I’ve never appreciated is when Benteke or Wesley are described as ‘beasts’. Never heard this about a white player however imposing they are physically.

Thought to myself "James Milner is a beast".

First picture I clicked on:

milner.JPG.79317f3605de0b73ca4a9e8d9205f8ab.JPG

🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

He is a little like Mascherano tbf. Not like the others. Maybe a bit like Deschamp?  The water carrier as Cantona would call it. 

I actually thought his sharp quick thinking passing when under pressure reminded me of Westwood, I suppose a more glamorous comparison in that regard would be to Busquets. But can see why people would compare him to Gueye and Kanté, Gueye is our former player and the last genuine decent DM we've had, and Kanté is the benchmark that pretty much every DM is compared to. I haven't actually seen anyone compare him to Makelele.

26 minutes ago, django said:

I agree that we should continue to challenge the rhetoric we use day-to-day - and I can see why the use of “beast” has been challenged, as historically black players have been subject to monkey noises, and the like. 

But I disagree that this description is never used for players that aren’t black. I’ve seen that narrative regurgitated before and I just think it’s incorrect.

For example:

Ramos hails Cristiano Ronaldo as a beast

Burki labels Harry Kane a “beast”

Jon Parkin, known as “The Beast”

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Every time one of these "racism" events take place, someone tries to take the opportunity to see just how far they can go with the hyper sensitivity before they get called on their bullshit.

I agree with alot of the posters on here, the part in that chant where they f*cked up was "McGinns his master", for obvious reasons.  (It is a shit chant)

Aside from that, I can't see many losing sleep over being accused of having a massive c#ck, having a Rasta Dad, or being similar to the best players in their respective positions who happen to be of the same race.

ANYWAY, let us please not have this be divisive,overshadow our win, general feel good factor and returning to form.

Love you all, massive cock or micropenis alike....

I get that you're Jamaican so the rasta comment might not bother you as much (it's still a lazy stereotype though, but I guess a national one...not racial in this case). But why the hell would Marvelous' father be a rasta? He's from Zimbabwe ffs. I'd be offended. Not because I have anything against rastas but that I was simply reduced to the colour of my skin (the only commonality I'd share with a hypothetical Rasta). They couldn't find it in them to sing a single line about my qualities as a player. Just a bunch of stereotypes about me becaue I'm black. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I agree that we should continue to challenge the rhetoric we use day-to-day - and I can see why the use of “beast” has been challenged, as historically black players have been subject to monkey noises, and the like. 

But I disagree that this description is never used for players that aren’t black. I’ve seen that narrative regurgitated before and I just think it’s incorrect.

For example:

Ramos hails Cristiano Ronaldo as a beast

Burki labels Harry Kane a “beast”

Jon Parkin, known as “The Beast”

Isn't Akinfenwas clothing label called Beast Mode

Made the difference the last 2 games.

We needed a water carrier, and this guy looks the part.

As good as Jack was, I gave Marvellous MOTM, as I did in his last game.We have been looking for this kind of midfielder for ages.

Taggert makes a big difference as well

Â