Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 06/09/2022 at 05:41, MaVilla said:

How Gerrard cant see what Kamara & Luiz offer as a pairing is beyond me.

Picking McGash over him, would be funny if it werent so depressing.

He literally played them together hence you have video evidence of it in your post. 

JFC

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

He literally played them together hence you have video evidence of it in your post. 

JFC

they havent played together much since week one, or many times this season, so the point stands, the point was he isnt a nailed on starter next to Kamara, which is true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

You're missing the point. You need to want to play for the manager and feel wanted by the club firstly. Why would Luiz want to play for Gerrard when the clown gave his position in the team away and keeps giving it to Ramsey or McGinn. 

Because you have to earn a place in the team?

Sorry to say it but Douglas was rather gash last season, for the most part. Some games he was absolutely awful. Notwithstanding that he's not a #6 and everybody knows it, regardless, he was asked to do a job in a position where we needed help, and he was a huge liability there. When moved up the pitch he looked a little better, but even still he had a bad time and let us down.

So... why wouldn't the manager have dropped him?

36 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Sorry to say it but Douglas was rather gash last season, for the most part. Some games he was absolutely awful. Notwithstanding that he's not a #6 and everybody knows it, regardless, he was asked to do a job in a position where we needed help, and he was a huge liability there. When moved up the pitch he looked a little better, but even still he had a bad time and let us down.

So, he's been a huge liability in the position he's played for the last 3 years?! I just don't agree in the slightest with that. I think it's down to those around him that have exposed him in the 6 role, similar to Kamara since he's been put in the same role. Without bolstering the middle of the park we been inconsistent for too long, and not just because of Luiz. He's also a better 8 than Ramsey and McGinn imo so I see no reason why the manager in his wisdom should have dropped him. I mean if we are saying he's no better than McGinn and should be upping his game then why the hell would he waste his time looking for a new contract at the club? On one hand you're saying he's been crap and on the other you're saying he should be doing his up most to improve the team. The kid can't win. No wonder he wants out.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, est1874 said:

He wasn't gash but he was exposed by playing the role of the only player in the middle of the park. Even Kamara has looked exposed and weak in the same position, but the fact he is a proper CDM and has some elements of his inherent kit making up for it he's been slightly better than Luiz was last year. When Kamara has Luiz alongside him,  he suddenly looks world class again. As Luiz would have with Kamara alongside him last season.

That position in Gerrard's preferred formation is a death sentence. No one in football can do that role without any form of support in front of him.

And Luiz, when moved up the pitch, has looked like one of our best players.  When did he have a "bad time and let us down" playing as one of our 8s?

I disagree that Kamara has looked weak in the same position - he just hasn't at all.  If anything, he's been one of the very few good things about the bad start this season.  But then, Kamara is a better DM than Luiz.

Luiz and Kamara both playing deep is fine, but our problem is getting that attack working cohesively.  If the answer is playing Luiz further up the pitch then that's great.  He was excellent against Man City.

• Thanks 2

I think there is a big difference with being weak in a role and being exposed. Both Kamara and Luiz are very competent 6's, maybe Kamara slightly more due to his ability to steal the ball, or Luiz to distribute. They've both looked very good in the role. However, anyone that says Kamara hasn't been exposed this season in midfield is talking nonsense. Kamara, like Luiz before has been overrun in the 6 role this season. That's just fact watching the games unfold. It's no slight on him as with Luiz which is why I think many have given Luiz a pass at times. When what around you is not functioning correctly, how can you?!

Luiz has never been the problem in our midfield and if he was the clubs that have been looking at him wouldn't have been. He'll be in a better team soon enough if he rides his contract out, with many looking on wondering where the other level came from. It will be the level that he always had and that we failed to unlock. The failure will be on us not him. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think there is a big difference with being weak in a role and being exposed. Both Kamara and Luiz are very competent 6's, maybe Kamara slightly more due to his ability to steal the ball, or Luiz to distribute. They've both looked very good in the role. However, anyone that says Kamara hasn't been exposed this season in midfield is talking nonsense. Kamara, like Luiz before has been overrun in the 6 role this season. That's just fact watching the games unfold. It's no slight on him as with Luiz which is why I think many have given Luiz a pass at times. When what around you is not functioning correctly, how can you?!

Luiz has never been the problem in our midfield and if he was the clubs that have been looking at him wouldn't have been. He'll be in a better team soon enough if he rides his contract out, with many looking on wondering where the other level came from. It will be the level that he always had and that we failed to unlock. The failure will be on us not him. 

The Crystal Palace game being a prime example.

• 2 weeks later...
Â