Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 02/09/2022 at 10:48, John said:

Perhaps we would have sold him, if we had been able to get a replacement signed yesterday. As we couldn't, the owners were advised that he was important to us this season, we would be left short if he left and figured it was worth £25m to still have him at the club for the season. I thought the final offer was decent myself, but only if we were able to use it to bring in a high quality replacement. Losing Douglas, albeit for a decent fee, would have made the window even worse, than it was, in my opinion.

This! I think the owners stepped in (Gerrard said he wasn't sure what the situation was) and decided we simply cannot lose our best midfielder when it looks like we could even have ended up in a relegation battle this season. No time to get a replacement, they know he'll be professional if he stayed, correct decision.

• Like 1

You only need to look at his celebration for the goal in the extended highlights. Not just the knee slide but from the 3rd angle behind the goal. He enjoyed that. His professionalism and desire in the Villa shirt can never be questioned imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Sign an improved contract now with a buy out clause inserted (similar to Grealish), then everyone knows where they stand.  Set the buy out at £40m perhaps? 

Yeah, this is what i think Villa will do, they will offer him a contact, but put a release clause in  (around £40 mill seems fair) so if a champions league club come in he can leave.  Should give us the cash for a replacement (hopefully Gerrard is not here and it gets spent on some 30YR old with no resale!)

21 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Sign an improved contract now with a buy out clause inserted (similar to Grealish), then everyone knows where they stand.  Set the buy out at £40m perhaps? 

Nah surely a £25m release clause and a signing on bonus, plus big pay bump

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

25m release clause is not enough commitment imo and wouldn't warrant a signing bonus and pay bump. It would need to be at least 50m. If Arsenal rate him at 25m with 12 months left on his contract then with 4 years left he must be worth in excess of that. 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

If the rumour is to be believed, Purslow put a £40m valuation on Dougie which Arsenal wasn’t prepared to pay?

I don’t think £40m for an established Premier League player and international is that high to be honest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

25m release clause is not enough commitment imo and wouldn't warrant a signing bonus and pay bump. It would need to be at least 50m. If Arsenal rate him at 25m with 12 months left on his contract then with 4 years left he must be worth in excess of that. 

Well if he's going to run down the contract. We need to make a case for him to at least no leave for free. So a release clause set at the level Arsenal offered in their 3rd bid seems fair. He gets a pay bump and we get to keep him or get £25m for him

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It's £25m or nothing? 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I mean obviously we should try and set any release clause as high as possible. But as with Delph (a better example) take whatever you can at this stage. 

I think we rejected the take whatever u can get stage. If Doug wants a pay rise we should be doing it on our terms as much as possible. But 25m release clause would be a poor deal for us, we would be under constant threat of him leaving in every window, that't not the sort of position we would want to be in with a key member of staff

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think we rejected the take whatever u can get stage. If Doug wants a pay rise we should be doing it on our terms as much as possible. But 25m release clause would be a poor deal for us, we would be under constant threat of him leaving in every window, that't not the sort of position we would want to be in with a key member of staff

Our terms will go out the window in Jan. The time for new deals has gone imo unless we make him an offer he can't refuse. 

See the source image

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

How Gerrard cant see what Kamara & Luiz offer as a pairing is beyond me.

Picking McGash over him, would be funny if it werent so depressing.

Not being picked would most likely be a reason he don’t sign a new contract.

Since Arsenal wanted him for £25 mill with just a year left on his contract, most likely his true value is nearer £50 mill. If we lose him next summer that is what we need to spend on a replacement. 

Our only hope is to get a new manager that could convince Luiz to stay. 

• Like 1

Â