Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

18 hours ago, calcifer said:

Yeah, this is what i think Villa will do, they will offer him a contact, but put a release clause in  (around £40 mill seems fair) so if a champions league club come in he can leave.  Should give us the cash for a replacement (hopefully Gerrard is not here and it gets spent on some 30YR old with no resale!)

I think Purslow will try and get away with writing the bit about the release clause in pencil and hope Dougie and his agent don't notice. 

5 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Not being picked would most likely be a reason he don’t sign a new contract.

Since Arsenal wanted him for £25 mill with just a year left on his contract, most likely his true value is nearer £50 mill. If we lose him next summer that is what we need to spend on a replacement. 

Our only hope is to get a new manager that could convince Luiz to stay. 

He had a deal agreed. Then didn't sign because he wasn't played. 

6 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Not being picked would most likely be a reason he don’t sign a new contract.

Since Arsenal wanted him for £25 mill with just a year left on his contract, most likely his true value is nearer £50 mill. If we lose him next summer that is what we need to spend on a replacement. 

Our only hope is to get a new manager that could convince Luiz to stay. 

£50 million! You having a laugh??

2 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Source?

If true this is f****** insane.

Specifically we know he did have a deal agreed prior to the start of the season. What we don't know is why he pulled out of the deal. There are a number of reports on this thread that say he had Agreed terms. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Specifically we know he did have a deal agreed prior to the start of the season. What we don't know is why he pulled out of the deal. There are a number of reports on this thread that say he had Agreed terms. 

Nobody knows for sure. If I were him I'd have agreed the deal but what benefit is there signing it before September? I'd wait and see who bid for me, who Villa signed and then how often I was playing then either sign it or not. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I wouldn't equate 'a number of reports on this thread' to knowing Luiz had agreed to sign a contract extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brommy said:

I wouldn't equate 'a number of reports on this thread' to knowing Luiz had agreed to sign a contract extension.

He could have agreed the wages and the length. He just wanted to wait until after the window shut before singing. Can see if we signed people for his position and how much game time he'll be getting. 

I assume there was some truth to agreeing the contract. It could be if nobody came in to try sign him he'd sign it. Lots of variables 

• Like 1

The 20m loss is nothing if we stay up. If we sold luiz and didnt get another top cm i would say we are strongcontenders to go down.

If keeping luiz and staying up means we lose him for nothing in summer so be it. I wish him well whatever he decides.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

£50 million! You having a laugh??

What would you value him at, considering Arsenal were willing to pay £25m with a year left? Liverpool and Atletico the other clubs circling, I think that says a lot about the calibre of player we're talking about here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What would you value him at, considering Arsenal were willing to pay £25m with a year left? Liverpool and Atletico the other clubs circling, I think that says a lot about the calibre of player we're talking about here.

I honestly reckon if Arsenal had raised it to 30m we’d have accepted. Guess we’ll never know.  They were all circling because felt we would cash in because of contract situation. I don’t think any club would offer 50m for him. 

Then against first payed silly money for that Wolves lad so who knows anymore.  

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The 20m loss is nothing if we stay up. If we sold luiz and didnt get another top cm i would say we are strongcontenders to go down.

If keeping luiz and staying up means we lose him for nothing in summer so be it. I wish him well whatever he decides.

If losing Luiz would mean us going down then we have bigger issues than I thought.

The thing I find really ironic about Luiz wanting to join a bigger club is that when he actually plays well, which is never a given, we are a much better team. If he actually played every week like he has the last couple of performances, we'd stand a chance of being much higher in the table and being the bigger club he aspires play for.

But this is often the way with this type of player / situation. Grealish wanted out just as we were looking to make a push for Europe, and looked good for it (unlike now). Barry and Milner both jumped ship for Citeh when we were pushing for Champions League football.

For a team game, top tier football is such a "me" sport. Surely Luiz can see how good we could be if he (and others) played to his/their ability every week. Which obviously increases his chance of playing for Brazil, or in Europe, or whatever it is he's actually looking for.

Edited by est1874

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

VT the one source of truth now 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We are not getting relegated mate. With or without Luiz.  But it is shit at the moment. 

Im not surs i agree with that VLV. Its unlikely but not impossible with that cm.

Hopefully now with luiz playing and deodonker that should see us through

• Like 1

9 hours ago, est1874 said:

The thing I find really ironic about Luiz wanting to join a bigger club is that when he actually plays well, which is never a given, we are a much better team. If he actually played every week like he has the last couple of performances, we'd stand a chance of being much higher in the table and being the bigger club he aspires play for.

But this is often the way with this type of player / situation. Grealish wanted out just as we were looking to make a push for Europe, and looked good for it (unlike now). Barry and Milner both jumped ship for Citeh when we were pushing for Champions League football.

For a team game, top tier football is such a "me" sport. Surely Luiz can see how good we could be if he (and others) played to his/their ability every week. Which obviously increases his chance of playing for Brazil, or in Europe, or whatever it is he's actually looking for.

You're missing the point. You need to want to play for the manager and feel wanted by the club firstly. Why would Luiz want to play for Gerrard when the clown gave his position in the team away and keeps giving it to Ramsey or McGinn. 

• Like 1

Â