Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Dougie's problem for Villa is simple. He is too slow to play as a defensive midfielder without proper support.

Playing further forward changes his game to a free flowing technical attacking midfielder. He will be important to us this season if he's played in his best position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

There was a moment when he came back to help Cash out of a mess only for Cash to clear it straight to a Man City player, much to his frustration. He showed a professional attitude after nearly leaving the club a few days ago. 

Had no doubt that he would be 100% professional, has always seemed a good character. Think that was when Cash injured himself making that clearance but it was typical of his lack of composure but hopefully someday we will have someone this skillful and composed on the ball to compliment the composure of Kamara and Luiz.

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Dougie's problem for Villa is simple. He is too slow to play as a defensive midfielder without proper support.

Playing further forward changes his game to a free flowing technical attacking midfielder. He will be important to us this season if he's played in his best position.

I know Dougie was listed as a CAM in the lineup shown before the game, but I think it was more of a 4-3-3, with Dougie and McGinn sitting back with Kamara.

I don't see him as an attacking midfielder at all - for me he's a technical CM / DM who can link up well in attack, but naturally likes to sit fairly deep.

• Like 4

How composed are Kamara and Luiz? Dont understand how a midfield genius like Gerrard hasnt been starting them together since day 1. At least he is now noticing McGinn is not the answer. Probably more of an ego thing and admitting his mistakes. Now he knows he very job is on the line he will start de-clouding his judgement

10 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

How composed are Kamara and Luiz? Dont understand how a midfield genius like Gerrard hasnt been starting them together since day 1. At least he is now noticing McGinn is not the answer. Probably more of an ego thing and admitting his mistakes. Now he knows he very job is on the line he will start de-clouding his judgement

Probably because he wasn't a composed midfielder himself. He was more of an elite version of McGinn which might explain why he's taken such a liking to him. But the signs are thankfully pointing to that changing. Starting to realize it's not 2004 anymore.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Good performance and attitude given he must have been disappointed he didn’t get his move. I don’t think he’ll sign a new contract but if he does, we’ve done well.

Wishful thinking but I’d be ok with him essentially doing a Delph/Grealish. Sign a new contract, higher wages, but with a release clause of whatever, £35m? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Wishful thinking but I’d be ok with him essentially doing a Delph/Grealish. Sign a new contract, higher wages, but with a release clause of whatever, £35m? 

Yeah not a bad idea. Low enough that someone would pay it but gives us a fee, increased wages for him in the meantime. He could agree to it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If he does sign a new contract whilst gerrard is around I think it would most likely have release clause involved. Probably the best case scenario at this point in time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I think it has to do with team morale, or at least the way SG perceives it in regards for how he wants to manage and coach this team. Maybe Luiz has had to sit because SG wants to build and develop an ethos of loyalty among the athletes that will make this club a fierce competitor and force to be reckoned with.

McGinn has been vital in this club finding itself in a position to be able to say we want and expect to be competitive at the top end of the Premier League again. If you want to deny that, go ahead it's your prerogative. Even if he isn't commanding the same level of influence now as he was, I can see why Gerrard or any coach would want to reward his attitude and commitment. It's easy to criticise and say he was a SPL player then, and now he's out of form and therefore not good enough so thanks but good riddance, let's replace him. If anyone embodies the drive ans fighting spirit to get stuck in and support our lads it's Super John. I recall his words regarding Jack moving on in an interview, the guy is humble. He also had reports of a 50 million pound move to United in the tabloids. Whether that was ever on the cards or not, I don't know. The point is clear enough. 

I know Luiz considering a change of club is as much a to do with him being asked to play a role that is is questionable as to whether it's where he plays his best football, and when you also consider which clubs are interested, you can appreciate the uncertainty as to whether he would commit here.

I can appreciate SG's thinking if it has parallels to what I'm suggesting here.

If you saw Buendia's body language and expression when he was coming on in the way I did, he wasn't exactly embracing Gerrard with the same enthusiasm as the manager. It's just a guess but the language and interaction for me was SG saying, "it's your time Buendia, have an impact". And Buendia's reaction was, "yeah okay, SG, 90 minutes in.. thanks for the vote of confidence."

It's tough to manage morale and keep everyone happy. If you have ever been involved in team sport, at any level, you know what I'm saying.

• Like 1

Â