Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

22 minutes ago, Awol said:

McGinn said in a recent interview that Luiz would be the worst person to sit by on the coach because he still doesn’t speak English. If there’s one-on-one work to do it’s probably that, you can’t fully integrate and be comfortable around people you can’t communicate with. 

That’s surprising after being in England for 2 years now.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He signed for City in 2017 tbf

But was shipped out to Italy/Spain straight away wasn’t he? So he’s only been in England with Villa which is 2 years.

I wonder if he thought/thinks he’d be moving on again soon to a different country so was no need to learn much English.

Edited by ender4

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I've been in Spain for five and my Spanish is still no better than average to be fair. But then I work in English and I'm not being paid silly money.

To get really comfortable bantering with McGinn might take more than a couple of years of English lessons!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I never had any doubt in my mind that Man City, would not trigger the clause.....I thought it was Pie in the Sky.

Dougie is an enigma for me....but I have not given up on him and at 23 still has plenty of time.

He strikes me as a player who needs some one on one, dedicated work, to make him the player we want him to be.....similar to how Jack was worked on after his kidney injury.

He has undoubted talent, but lacks some of those necessary ingredients that allow those talents to flourish....He needs to learn how to be more imposing, more like Kante.

He can be at times, for me, a bit better version of Hourihane in his general play....its not enough.

I feel he has something, but I equally feel he lacks something, in equal measures.

I hope he comes back, like the player, who we saw after lockdown, the season before last....probably our best player, during that period.

I agree to some degree, but at times I feel like we’re shoehorning him into the number 6 role, when his skills would be suited further forward. On that basis I don’t think he needs to be much more imposing, I think we need to utilise him differently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I agree to some degree, but at times I feel like we’re shoehorning him into the number 6 role, when his skills would be suited further forward. On that basis I don’t think he needs to be much more imposing, I think we need to utilise him differently.

I don't disagree.

5 hours ago, Rolta said:

To get really comfortable bantering with McGinn might take more than a couple of years of English lessons!

Amen to that, I’ve lived in The Scottish Highlands for almost 4 years now and I still can’t understand some of my neighbours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rolta said:

I've been in Spain for five and my Spanish is still no better than average to be fair. But then I work in English and I'm not being paid silly money.

I've been in the Middle East for 20 years plus, and i'm still not fluent in Arabic, which is pathetic to be honest. lol

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've been in the Middle East for 20 years plus, and i'm still not fluent in Arabic, which is pathetic to be honest. lol

Ouf XD

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Shway shway! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ender4 said:

He’s spent half of it in lockdown and he lives with a little entourage of his Brazilian mates, so outside of training he’s probably talking 99% in Portuguese. Doesn’t seem the type to sit and do extra language lessons on Zoom when he could be playing FIFA or whatever with his mates. 

It is easy to be critical of someone who hasn't integrated enough to learn the language but keep in mind not everyone has the aptitude for learning languages quickly, and Brazil is not a country where children are encouraged to learn other languages from a young age, necessarily.

Still, you would hope the club provides resources for people of all backgrounds and strengths to acclimate and integrate as well as they can. If not..... oops.

Pretty sure it's already been established that his English has progressed a great deal, and that was attributed as a big factor in his improvement in form after lockdown. It's probably not easy to understand someone with an heavy accent like John McGinn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Pretty sure it's already been established that his English has progressed a great deal, and that was attributed as a big factor in his improvement in form after lockdown. It's probably not easy to understand someone with an heavy accent like John McGinn.

The other thing is you need to be able to speak at a decent level before you can start to have the crack with someone

2 years of lessons and they're still be teaching him what his dad does for a living and where he's going this summer not how to take the piss out grealishs clobber 

18 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Amen to that, I’ve lived in The Scottish Highlands for almost 4 years now and I still can’t understand some of my neighbours. 

don't run out of sugar, then.

Edited by TRO

Â