Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Be very surprised if he doesn't have a new contract by January.

I expect a new deal is on the table for him now, and hope he will sign an extension this summer. The worry is he is now into two years left on his current deal, so any longer without a new contract in place and the club may be thinking that if he doesn't sign soon then we may look to cash in?

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

I expect a new deal is on the table for him now, and hope he will sign an extension this summer. The worry is he is now into two years left on his current deal, so any longer without a new contract in place and the club may be thinking that if he doesn't sign soon then we may look to cash in?

If he doesn't switch on he'll find himself on the bench and not even being first centre mid option there.

He's a funny one Doug. He could literally be our best player next season if he were to turn it on all year. Or he could make <15 apps and be on his way next summer. 

It doesn't appear we'll be waiting around if players are stagnating.

I'm a big fan of him. Looking forward to added competition lighting a fire under him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

If he doesn't switch on he'll find himself on the bench and not even being first centre mid option there.

He's a funny one Doug. He could literally be our best player next season if he were to turn it on all year. Or he could make <15 apps and be on his way next summer. 

It doesn't appear we'll be waiting around if players are stagnating.

I'm a big fan of him. Looking forward to added competition lighting a fire under him.

I am confident he will come back better after the summer break. There is no denying He had some bad form second half of the season, but he is still a youngster playing a very important role in the team and learning on the job. It may be a bit down to covid, or possibly his contract situation has taken his eye off the ball so to speak. I believe he has that fight and desire in himself to do well, so I don't see him being happy with how his season ended and he will come back firing again.

• Like 1

Dip in form? Guy not played consistently well for a year.

This is not called a dip. Simply not a defensive midfielder.

The times he has looked good this season has been when he is in advanced positions further up the pitch.

Nakamba is a decent 6 imo. Buy another DM and let Luiz compete with Sanson, McGinn and Ramsey for the 8 spot.

• Like 1

Played 17 minutes for Brazil against Paraguay.

Fred and Casemiro preferred in the starting eleven but Doug was brought on and Fabinho on the bench the whole match.

On 07/06/2021 at 17:58, villalad21 said:

Dip in form? Guy not played consistently well for a year.

This is not called a dip. Simply not a defensive midfielder.

The times he has looked good this season has been when he is in advanced positions further up the pitch.

Nakamba is a decent 6 imo. Buy another DM and let Luiz compete with Sanson, McGinn and Ramsey for the 8 spot.

He was our best player, in DM after the first lockdown imo. He can't just be a bad player all of a sudden. 

I am hoping his poor form might be due to fatigue. 

He's a young guy as well don't forget, being forcibly kept away from family / support network must have been tough. 

With all of the above in mind I think he deserves a chance at DM to see what he can do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bose said:

Played 17 minutes for Brazil against Paraguay.

Fred and Casemiro preferred in the starting eleven but Doug was brought on and Fabinho on the bench the whole match.

He's in good company there tbf 

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

He was our best player, in DM after the first lockdown imo. He can't just be a bad player all of a sudden. 

I am hoping his poor form might be due to fatigue. 

He's a young guy as well don't forget, being forcibly kept away from family / support network must have been tough. 

With all of the above in mind I think he deserves a chance at DM to see what he can do. 

We don't know who got affected by Covid bar Trezeguet who said he had it on social media

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think having an unfit Barkley playing (effectively) as second striker in front of them made both Dougie and McGinn look worse than they are

That's a really excellent point. I was saying to someone on FB complaining our centre mids get run over too easy, that Buendia would make a big difference with his defensive game 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2021 at 12:15, Tomaszk said:

This is always the way with young players - and he’s younger than Keinan Davis and yet has established himself with more appearances than any other player in the last two seasons and a regular starting role for Brazil so he’s not doing badly. However I agree that turning 23 means he now hits the point he has to turn it on consistently not just next season but for 5-6 years if he is to achieve his potential. Transition from young prospect (when I don’t feel our fans have always been patient enough) to someone who needs to consistently deliver in a top half PL team (where that impatience is justified) to keep his spot - it’s up to him whether he thrives in that situation or not. All the ingredients are there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's a really excellent point. I was saying to someone on FB complaining our centre mids get run over too easy, that Buendia would make a big difference with his defensive game 

Couldn’t agree more with this. Our three-man midfield has only had two men most games!

• Like 2

On 07/06/2021 at 11:45, MrBlack said:

Misleading stat, but ambiguous enough to be correct if we're taking all games played and not just those in the PL. The should have just said over the last two years.

May go to show how much the "Dean prefers McGinn" argument may not be what it appears to be. 

He's got a long way to go, but this lad can really play football and he's got masses of potential if we start using him properly. I know some don't agree, but him, alongside a proper ball winner would be out best double pivot. I think Nakamba is that at the moment,  and would be very happy if our only other signing this season was someone who can play alongside DL in that role.

Watkins

Grealiah Traoré Buendia 

Luiz ¿Bissouma?

....Looks lovely to me. 

Sanson and McGinn can easily swap in for Luiz depending on form/ fitness.  Could also bring one of them in for the Bissouma type if we're expected to be on the front foot or looking to come from behind as we have been many times this season. 

Traoré and Buendia could swap positions. Nakamba is the backup to our new CDM.

Traoré could be dropped for Sanson/McGinn I'd we're looking to be even more defensive.

Then we have the likes of Ramsey and Chuk coming through, so we are well stacked for the middle of the pitch.

Luiz is a key that unlocks all of this flexibility for me. Great player.

McGinn has played every game where he is available though. He was injured for 1/2 a season. 

24 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

My worry with Dougie is he still gets his tactical instructions from an interpreter. The story last season was he'd massively improved his English, but it sounds like he's still a bit out of the loop. I wonder how settled he is generally.

He's a baller, though. His form last season was nowhere near as bad as many are making out. It definitely dipped, but he was a key player throughout our pre-Covid run of results.

I think having an unfit Barkley playing (effectively) as second striker in front of them made both Dougie and McGinn look worse than they are, and we may see better performances from Dougie in a fitter, harder working midfield 3 with McGinn / Sanson / Nakamba / Ramsey / Chukwuemeka / new signing.

I'm really surprised people are now saying they'd be happy to see him go. There's real class there, and our coaching team should be able to help him build on that and find more consistency. I still think he can do that as a holding midfielder.

Tbf there is a difference between being able to understand Dean Smith speak English and being able to understand and banter with John mcginn. 

• Like 1

Â