Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Rumour on Twitter yesterday we are looking to improve his contract; how does that work in relation to Man Citeh?

He's our player. So, his contract would be extended. The buy back clause would still exist until whatever time period was agreed upon with Citeh.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The most fun thing about Douglas Luiz, for me, is that the rest of the world (and maybe some Villa fans) haven't seemed to clock just how good he is, yet. 

It's no wonder Burton crumbled. As he plunked one out of the air and ghosted past the first Albion player he saw, as if he had never existed, you could sense a collective sigh of "so you've got two of them ffs"

I think it's part of the thinking (amongst others) around potentially bringing Jack back into the 8 role in the centre of the pitch. Good players tend to be on the same wavelength. Jack and Dougie are both good players. 

You can see them looking out for each other all the time. 

Edited by villaglint

18 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Here's to hoping they won't need him as we now know he will be integral to getting us to where we are going.

This will sound harsh but he and Jack the the standard, everyone else needs to up it another gear or we need to show no mercy in upgrading as soon as possible.

madden GIF

• Like 1

It’s clear that Douglas Luiz is going to be instrumental to any success that we have this season - him, Mings and Grealish are the  core of the squad that we should be building around. I would normally add a keeper in there to complete the spine, but that’s an unknown entity at the moment. 

Im concerned about how we will play if one of these should pick up a knock and miss a few weeks of games. We need to prepare better for this... 

McGinn is right on the brink of being included in that list, but I want to see a bit more, he didn’t come back the same player after his spell on the sidelines. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weedman said:

Seems to be an obsession with moving players positions as soon as they start performing well in one. He's excelled as a DM, why move him? Just buy another box to box player if we need one

I understand that.

But people keep saying Hourihane isn't good enough to start.

Nakamba who played well yesterday could be moved into the dm role and by moving Luiz alongside McGinn he'd be closer to Jack who he seem to have a great understanding with. Luiz also has an eye for a pass. As a pure dm he is limited to what he can do and we won't see his full kit of attributes.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, weedman said:

Seems to be an obsession with moving players positions as soon as they start performing well in one. He's excelled as a DM, why move him? Just buy another box to box player if we need one

This has always been an issue on VT.

Centre Back who's good on the ball? Move him to midfield

Right back who can attack? Make him a winger

Winger who can score goals? Make him a striker

I know players can occasionally move positions. But usually if a player is playing well in a position, there's a reason for it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, weedman said:

Exactly, he doing the job and making the position his own. Why move him? It doesn't prevent us from bringing in another dm to give us more options when we need to play more defensive 

4 hours ago, weedman said:

Agree. The new DM would have to be good enough to replace Luiz at that position. The Box to Box only has to be better than Hourihane. 

I'm not even sure we can afford a DM better than Douglas at the moment. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

This guy will be captain of Brazil one day. It's weird to think he plays for us. 

Their WCQ are due to start next month so think Brazil will be calling him up. He's very highly rated there.

Having players in Brazil and Argentina squads shows we're moving in right direction as a club now.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Their WCQ are due to start next month so think Brazil will be calling him up. He's very highly rated there.

Having players in Brazil and Argentina squads shows we're moving in right direction as a club now.

Also makes it more difficult to keep him.

6 hours ago, weedman said:

That is what I think, same with Grealish, both Luiz and Grealish are doing amazing where they are, why unsettle that or take them away from what the magic that they are making, makes no sense.

As you say weedman, just buy another Midfielder. That way you do not move Luiz into Grealish position and upsetting Luiz gameplay or your not moving Jack back from the left to attacking midfield and upsetting his magic on the left. Best to just buy an attacking midfielder and not disturb players if they are playing better and are used to playing that way.

Â