Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Today was a microcosm of his time here. Did a lot of good things, and then did a couple of really bad things. I was impressed with his distribution and reading of the game, he intercepted the ball several times and then crucially used it very well. However his decision making was utterly perplexing on two occasions in the second half. The first we're he won the ball and broke brilliantly, but ended up with an awful shot with his left foot when he (a) had time to shift onto his right or (b) pass to Wesley in space. Then that attempted lob in the second half which was utterly pathetic. 

That said, clearly there's a good player in there, he was decent overall today.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Today was a microcosm of his time here. Did a lot of good things, and then did a couple of really bad things. I was impressed with his distribution and reading of the game, he intercepted the ball several times and then crucially used it very well. However his decision making was utterly perplexing on two occasions in the second half. The first we're he won the ball and broke brilliantly, but ended up with an awful shot with his left foot when he (a) had time to shift onto his right or (b) pass to Wesley in space. Then that attempted lob in the second half which was utterly pathetic. 

He probably thought he'd have the second one ruled out by VAR anyway tbf 🤣

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Hes 21

He has shown a lot more bottle, and put much more effort in the last 2 games than any of the players he is keeping out.

I would stick to this system, try and buy a more combative, competitive DM to play alongside him, and dispense with Lansbury, Jota and Hourihane. And buy a good wide attacking player

Nakamba looked fine with him today. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Harsh on him to call his attempt “utterly pathetic”. He was the only man pressing from a hoofed clearance in the 97th minute. He presses Mee well and gets a great chance out of it. Botched the execution, but no wonder he was gassed ffs.

He won the ball back a lot today, was so much better than Westwood. Great free kick which Hause could’ve done better with too. This new formation could suit him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got bollocks. Always shows for the ball, love it.

Played well and still has plenty he can improve on.

Composed as anything until he's in front of goal. I don't think it'll take him too long to get the hang of that.

• Like 4

On 28/12/2019 at 16:48, Dr_Pangloss said:

Will probably slot in nicely into a side which actually plays football and keeps the ball. 

This is my overwhelming opinion of him.

I can see us getting to the end of the season and him having had very little impact here.

Then he'll end up signing for a better team and being excellent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He looks like a winner to me. Obvious talent and always has been. 

They all need time to settle in this league. 

Time is everything they need. The players have ability.

Trezeguet gets a lot of stick but I felt sorry for him yesterday because Jack should have played him in instead of squaring to Luiz and Kodjia should have squared to him instead of taking that pathetic shot that dribbled wide. 

They will get better in time. They will have moved in to new homes with their families and settled down their roots here. They will have learnt more of the language and got used to the weather and training etc. Everything will gel given time. If we can stay up and add two or three more quality players we will do well next season. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I thought overall he was very good yesterday. The aggression he and Nakamba showed to get a foot in was everything that’s been missing in recent weeks/months and was a big part of why the system worked.

You are right in that it was very disappointing to spurn the two big chances to kill the game off. Could well have ended up very costly. Both looked to be down to fatigue for me. He’s never played this many games of that intensity so close together before. Tiredness always shows itself in the mind first. 

Overall I really like him think there is a very good player there who is only going to improve. 

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Worth adding that he set up Jack's disallowed goal with a superb cross (edit: whoops, that was Konsa).

I would definitely put him on set pieces, with Jack on the D for the volley.

Calling his left foot shot "awful" is a bit harsh IMO - and although Wesley went ballistic at him, I thought Douglas had a right to ignore the pass there as Wesley was very wide. On another day, he hits it a bit sweeter and it's a goal.

The "utterly pathetic" lob, as others have said, was a chance he made for himself. The lobbed finish was the right decision, he just underhit it (which always looks much more embarrassing than overhitting it). It's a shame, because he's one of the few players in our squad who I'd back to pull it off, and it would have capped off a very solid performance.

I think he gets a raw deal from some of our fans because he has a slightly languid, calm style. He doesn't charge around screaming at people and breaking people's legs, but I think he takes responsibility in other ways, showing for the ball in difficult positions. A good signing, but still a work in progress.

Yes and last week people were claiming ashley westwood would walk into this midfield I suppose thats fine if you dont want to create anything,  Luiz showed pace and drive to get up the pitch enjoyed his performance ,slight lack in confidence , Can see a 8 goal a season midfielder in him i the future ps hes only 21!

Cannot stress how great Luiz will be. 

This man, has got a set of bollocks on him. 

The only player in the squad, apart from Grealish, who always wants and shows for the ball. Great control  on the ball as well, and really good energy levels. I think he will only get better - and cannot believe he is only 21. As we get better this season, so will he. 

Was extremely unlucky with his chance on the weekend, on another day he scores it with ease. Classy. 

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Nakamba reminds me of carlos Sanchez. 

Luiz is a classy player. I'm desperate to stay up so we can build around jack and him and see them develop.

Unfortunately if hes good enough to build the team around he wont be here!

Â