Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I thought he played very well today. His best attribute is that he is brave on and off the ball. In a relegation fight we need as many players as possible to show bravery by showing for the ball in tight areas and being brave enough to not just take the easy option in possession. Jack is obviously a stand out but Luiz is improving all the time. 

He gets very tight to opponents and will give away fouls but that’s preferable to being standoffish and allowing the opposition to do what they want. Not afraid to tackle, shoot, try a through ball. He needs to stay in the team now and hopefully we’ve told Brazil’s U23’s that he’s staying with us in January!

• Like 2

First time that he has really shown grit and determination. I liked that side of him. He was also showing the leadership qualities we’ve heard he had playing for the Brazil youth sides. For me it seemed Smith really laid into certain individuals after the Southampton loss and this was his reaction.

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

Played very well, his goal line clearance stands out, another besides Heaton who clearly saved the game for the win.

I think what it is with Luiz is that he was at Man city for so long, been starved of football, needs time to get back in the groove, sure he will.

Do miss his hair style though, thought that was one hell of some ace hair, grow and colour it back please.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Played very well, his goal line clearance stands out, another besides Heaton who clearly saved the game for the win.

I think what it is with Luiz is that he was at Man city for so long, been starved of football, needs time to get back in the groove, sure he will.

Do miss his hair style though, thought that was one hell of some ace hair, grow and colour it back please.

He had game time last season with Girona

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

First time that he has really shown grit and determination.

Yep, definitely. 

Although his actual play wasn't always that good, he at least competed and was involved continually, far too many games have just passed him by. A step in the right direction, for sure.

Goal line clearance apart (which was unreal), he was distinctly average. 

He works hard, but then so do Wesley and Trezeguet. This isn’t a substitute for quality though and for me, our central midfield area is desperately lacking. 

I don’t really rate him tbh. Well, not at the moment at least. Of all the poor players we currently field every week, he’s probably the one that will actually go on to be a good footballer. Nakamba, Trezeguet, Wesley and El Ghazi won’t. 

We really need a big, hard bastard in the middle of the park. 

• Like 2

On 24/12/2019 at 22:16, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seems to be latest craze with a lot of people. I agree it’s silly but It’s actually legal. Anyway how do you know he is doing 50/60mph?

You can see his speed when he finds his dashboard before switching cameras to his face.

Edited by ramshackler

I liked Luiz little celebration when he cleared it, Mings and Heaton do it but I want my defenders to be celebrating when make a block or a tackle. Not all the time but the crucial ones. Look at any top Italian defender and its what they do. Keeping a clean sheet should be like scoring a goal

• Like 3

In my mind you play either Luiz or Nakamba, and right now it's not a contest - Luiz all the way (doesn't mean Luiz has been great, Nakamba's just a passenger and has become dangerous in our own end with his total lack of confidence).

Looks like he is not going to the pre Olympics tournament then....

https://www.time24.news/2019/12/cbf-releases-final-list-of-pre-olympic-2020-squads-12-27-2019.html

The CBF today sent to Conmebol the final list of players who will represent Brazil in the Pre-Olympic 2020. Coach André Jardine has called up five new athletes for the group that will represent Brazil in the tournament to be held in Colombia.

Douglas Augusto (PAOK), Bruno Tabata (Portimonense), Dodo (Shaktar Donestk), Nino (Fluminense) and Pepê (Gremio) replace Douglas Luiz (Aston Vila), Martinelli (Arsenal), Emerson (Betis), Gabriel (Lile) and Wendel (Sporting), respectively.

• Like 2

Â