Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Still think this scout report on Douglas Luiz is the best recap I've read about him.

They have him down as a "box to box" midfielder. They also has his long shot down as one of his weaknesses to It's not 100% spot on :D 

What is his Style of Play?

Douglas has been used as the first man in the midfield and as the second one, with less defensive responsibilities and more freedom to carry and conduct the ball, which the English name ‘box-to-box’. And this was definitely the best option. Not just because he protects the ball very efficiently when he runs with it, but also because he does it with plasticity and elegance, always with his head up, studying the possibilities while maintaining the pace.

Douglas also has an incredible easiness to play both on the center and on the flanks (maybe because of his right-back experiences as a youngster). And when he goes to the sides, one thing he likes to do and does very well is to play long diagonal balls to the other side of the pitch, looking for a less pressured partner. In his debut in the Spanish La Liga against Malaga, Douglas occupied the right position on the midfield for 20 minutes, but don’t be surprised if Girona’s coach, Pablo Machín, uses him in different places with different functions. It will not mean that he has doubts about his player. Douglas has enough versatility for many roles.

But nothing needs more improvement than his marking skills. Sometimes, when he finds himself in a situation of defensive one-on-ones, Douglas is still very hasty to tackle and commits too much fouls because of his restlessness. However while he has a good number of successful tackles, he has also lost a bunch of them for his instigation. Furthermore, when the defensive situation is based on a positional game, Douglas lacks a sense of coordination with partners and frequently breaks his team’s marking line. These points gets better with specific training sessions and it was good that Manchester City could find a calm place where Douglas could be less affected by his mistakes. The Premier League would be an aggressive change of reality for the Brazilian, but Girona surely has a wonderful environment for Douglas, Pablo Maffeo, Aleix Garcia and Marlos Moreno to evolve.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/09/17/scout-report-douglas-luiz/

Edited by sne

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Curled in 2 crackers, played an out of this world pass to Jota vs Brighton 

Definitely has flair

Yeah I know about the excellent goals, a while ago now weren't they? :) Its more his overall play. Don't get me wrong hes obviously very decent and has great potential its just that he seems to be under performing yet doesn't get anywhere near as much stick as Wesley!

Obviously "under performing" can be levelled at most of the team!

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

A while ago? You make it sounds like was couple of seasons back. He is only at the club 4 months 

Weren’t they his first two shots? I remember him taking loads of long range shots in the couple of games after and getting nowhere near.

He clearly has potential, but I’m still baffled why people rave about him as if it’s obvious he should start.

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

He clearly has potential, but I’m still baffled why people rave about him as if it’s obvious he should start.

I warned of this at start of thread, said he should have been given 6 months to adapt and was too much hype

Screamers aside I think he has been absolutely bang average.
Plays with a swagger so is quite deceiving but makes no impact in games and if you're up against it really fades away from the game.
Doesn't demand the ball and isn't anywhere near as sharp or desperate enough to get into space to get on the ball.

I think many got caught up in all the talk of Guardiola wanting him for the Man City first team but couldn't get a work permit, but the truth is Guardiola always goes overboard with praise, he recently said that Foden is the best player he's worked with, and if City lose he normally talks about how well they've played, it's just the way he is. If he was good enough to get in the City side then he wouldn't be signing for us regardless of the work permit situation. With time can still become a good player for us, just need to give him time.

• Like 1

I think many people have forgotten he is 21 and settling in to a new league (toughest in the world) and a whole new culture/country. The sort of player who in previous years would move on and we’d be seeing him being successful for another team thinking, shit we should have held on to him. Gaye, Traore and Enda Stevens spring to mind

• Like 1

Clear quality on the ball, touch is good and can play a lovely pass

However he is lacking in his off the ball work, lets runners go lose or doesn't get close enough, doesn't seem to want to put the effort into that part of the game

He was poor first half, kept playing backwards and a better team would have punished some of his play.

Wasnt too much better at the start of the second half, but he acrually picked up when he moved from the DM role to more of box to box and actually carried the ball well a few times.

Looked much more comfortable in the box to box role to be honest, gotten say he looked poor in the pure DM role.

• Like 2

Â