Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Just now, sne said:

I don't rate the guy but 2 goals and 1 assist is above average for anyone except Messi.

Even with the missed pen he got a 9.0 on whoscored.

Whilst you may be right and perhaps I’m being harsh, I love the mention of the assist. You’re right, he did get an assist, but all he did was pass the ball to Douglas Luis who crashed it into the top corner from 25yrds.

Still, 3 points in Fantasy Football! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

I don't rate the guy but 2 goals and 1 assist is above average for anyone except Messi.

Even with the missed pen he got a 9.0 on whoscored.

Whoscored gives massive bonuses for goals and assists obviously but imo, that doesn't really give a full measure of how good someone is in a game. I mean, can't you think of at least one scenario where a striker plays like absolute dogshit for most of the game yet somehow comes out of the game with a random tap in goal? I don't think that automatically means he played well the game but by whoscored's system that merits an automatic 7 rating at the very least.

I don't think Wesley did anything that impressive in the Norwich game. He put in 2 tap ins that were put on to him on a silver platter and his assist was a basic pass to Douglas on the edge of the box that he proceeds to curl in from long range. Not saying he played badly, but It was definitely not a performance worthy of a 9.0, especially considering the missed penalty. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Hourihane, El Ghazi and Grealish also had really good games against Norwich.

As did a couple others, was a team effort where we created a lot while not having a huge amount of the ball as per usual these days.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Whoscored gives massive bonuses for goals and assists obviously but imo, that doesn't really give a full measure of how good someone is in a game. I mean, can't you think of at least one scenario where a striker plays like absolute dogshit for most of the game yet somehow comes out of the game with a random tap in goal? I don't think that automatically means he played well the game but by whoscored's system that merits an automatic 7 rating at the very least.

I don't think Wesley did anything that impressive in the Norwich game. He put in 2 tap ins that were put on to him on a silver platter and his assist was a basic pass to Douglas on the edge of the box that he proceeds to curl in from long range. Not saying he played badly, It was definitely not a performance worthy of a 9.0, especially considering the missed penalty. 

Yeah, but disregarding the 9.0 he did score twice. That's still above an average performance IMO.

If we are not going to count goals and assists however soft then It's getting silly.

And while clean sheets, goals, assists and what not adds a lot Whoscored are not quite that binary.  Was probably a 7/10 game but with 2 goals and 1 assist.

Are plenty of other games where he's been below par. The Norwich games was not one of them.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Hourihane, El Ghazi and Grealish also had really good games against Norwich.

As did a couple others, was a team effort where we created a lot while not having a huge amount of the ball as per usual these days.

There will be a time when we outplay other sides with attractive possession based football, it might just take some time 

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, but disregarding the 9.0 he did score twice. That's still above an average performance IMO.

If we are not going to count goals and assists however soft then It's getting silly.

And while clean sheets, goals, assists and what not adds a lot Whoscored are not quite that binary.  Was probably a 7/10 game but with 2 goals and 1 assist.

Are plenty of other games where he's been below par. The Norwich games was not one of them.

Well yeah I agree, I think it was an above average performance. But it was not a 9.0 performance at all which is really my main point on what whoscored suggests it was.

Its not that I don't think we should not count goals or assists its more I think we should not just look purely at the amount of goals and assists. How the goals and assists were scored should be taken into account as well as well as the rest of his play. 

Edit: Looking at his rating more closely, it seems whoscored added a 1 to his rating per goal and a 0.5 for an assist. I'm not gonna suggest that we should remove a 2.5 score from his rating because that's silly, he did well for the goals after all. But are the goals and assist really worth that much in context with his actual play?

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Well yeah I agree, I think it was an above average performance. But it was not a 9.0 performance at all which is really my main point on what whoscored suggests it was.

Its not that I don't think we should not count goals or assists its more I think we should not just look purely at the amount of goals and assists. How the goals and assists were scored should be taken into account as well as well as the rest of his play. 

Yeah stats should never be looked at without context. 

Are plenty of strikers who just scores tap ins, or attackers who don't score that many goals but who still offers a lot.

Wesley for me does neither, sadly.

Edited by sne

Seem's like a nice lad from this article, for me he's shown glimpses of why we signed him and why Pep rated him so highly.

Douglas Luiz is the Brazilian midfielder whose departure will always be a source of regret for Pep Guardiola and, even three years ago as a teenager, it was clear he was going to be special.

We have been discussing his two spectacular goals for Aston Villa this season until the £15 million signing from Manchester City stops mid-conversation to grab his iPhone and find something on YouTube.

Eventually he finds the video and pulls his chair closer. It is a Campeonato Brasileiro Série B game from August 2016, at his first club Vasco da Gama, and ten minutes into the second half an 18-year-old Douglas exchanges passes on the halfway line, advances forward and then unleashes a 35-yard thunderbolt into the top corner.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/12/16/douglas-luiz-exclusive-interview-love-hearing-aston-villa-fans/

Luis just isn’t the player you want for our position in the table. As I’ve said before, he’s not a bad player and will probably turn into a very decent one. However, we’re very much in a relegation fight and I just don’t see much fight in him tbh. That goes for several other players as well. 

He’s the kind of signing you make once you have an established 3 in the middle and he can come in and learn from them. He’s only 21 remember. It’s a lot to ask a young kid from Brazil to fight relegation for us in one of the most important positions on the field. 

• Like 1

Not saying he is as good but flair midfielders in relegation battlers is not unique. Okocha at Bolton and Pompey brought in D'Allessandro when dead and buried. 

Pretty sure he was in Girona team that was fighting the drop 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, birdman said:

Personally I dont see alot of flair with Douglas. If this is something he has I want to see a whole lot more from him.

Curled in 2 crackers, played an out of this world pass to Jota vs Brighton 

Definitely has flair

Â