Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

That through ball to Trez was our best pass of the season so far. Just looked up Jack's age 21 stats. He had 5G 2A in 20 starts and 11 sub appearances in the championship. That's a pretty unremarkable season.  Very few players are ripping up trees at age 21 and the ones that do we surely can't afford.  Jack is probably now probably twice the player he was at 21. I see the same path for Douglas. He just need's game time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's a wonderful technical footballer. That little chip he did to escape trouble in his own half which started one of the Trezeguet chances was next level. 

And that passing range... wow. Best in squad for me. Plus the lad has a shot on him.

He's deffo a number 8, he and Grealish would be phenomenal together down the left given time. I don't think he's up to scratch for the Premier League DM, yet.

Only problem is is his physicality.

Similar to Conor he tend to get bit of a passenger in games we aren't dominating

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Only problem is is his physicality.

Similar to Conor he tend to get bit of a passenger in games we aren't dominating

Disagree, Conor has been a complete liability defensively, and never really attacked the man on the ball to force an error.

Luiz gets stuck in, wins 50/50's, pressures the man on the ball, reads the game with an instinct to win the ball, he's not always switched on or the greatest engine.

But he's no Conor when it comes to defensive duties.

• Like 3

Yeah, Conor doesn't just struggle at DM because of physicality, but because of his all round game. His positioning and decision making get badly exposed there against decent opposition (and he's 28, so it isn't going to improve).

Douglas seems to me to have the right positional sense, passing range and decision making skills to play at DM, but he's just a bit too soft in the tackle. It could definitely come as he matures and adapts to the Premier League. At 21 he still hasn't reached his physical prime, and I'd have thought he'll become a tougher tackler and stronger in the air over the next few seasons.

Of all our new signings, he looks the most likely to be a top Champions League player later in his career. Not sure if he's exactly what we need right now in the thick of a relegation battle, but can't really complain about the decision to sign him.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Disagree, Conor has been a complete liability defensively, and never really attacked the man on the ball to force an error.

Luiz gets stuck in, wins 50/50's, pressures the man on the ball, reads the game with an instinct to win the ball, he's not always switched on or the greatest engine.

But he's no Conor when it comes to defensive duties.

Totally agree. Douglas will offer to receive the ball in tight spaces and doesn’t look to hide himself between players so he is not in a position to receive it. He more than punches his weight in challenges too. He’ll only get better and needs to play on Saturday.

Well... when I saw the news and Doug's numerous social media celebrations I presumed the club had spoken about it when he signed.

Maybe not if we're now saying no. Hopefully him and Smith have had an adult discussion about it.

He is the captain as well so should still go to the Olympics.

5 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Imagine the meltdown if we let him go to a nothing U23 tournament during a key run of games then got relegated by 1 point.

I’d find it much stranger if we had no issue with it.

It's just weird that he was very vocal about it on social media. I imagine he might take an issue with it which is why I thought it was strange. Would have assumed they would have spoken about it already. 

Completely get your POV though. 

Would like to see him play next to Jack, in the middle, with maybe McGinn behind them. Trez on the left, Elgahzi right and Wez in the middle. Douglas has the technical ability to open defences for the front 3 to feed off. With Jack in with him it should give him space to work his magic. 

Douglas as a DM doesn't work for me. He's to far away from the forwards and doesn't operate well under the high press that our opposition has started to use against us. 

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's just weird that he was very vocal about it on social media. I imagine he might take an issue with it which is why I thought it was strange. Would have assumed they would have spoken about it already. 

Completely get your POV though. 

Yeah that’s true. Maybe it’s a decision that won’t get made for a little while.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt anyway and assume he’d want to stay here if we were in trouble. I think any footballer with a decent attitude would to be honest.

Won't he miss 4-6 matches if we allow him to go to the Olympics? I'm sorry we are no where near a position where we can do that. Luiz and Nakamba have been switching out starting roles depending on who we play. We can't just go with Nakamba for that month. 

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He's not what I call a quick and creative passer. He's one of those guys who's going to need a few seconds on the ball before launching a long, defence splitting pass. In that way, he's far more suited as a DM where he has more time on the ball than an AM.

I see that as well and But it's also exposed when he plays DM, however with Jack playing with him further forward the opposition will have to cover them both, Jack with 2 players. Plus they would also have Wez, for me (or Kodjia for others) Trez and Elgahzi to cover. They would have to reduce their high press and cover our attacking threat, allowing McGinn to push further up as well. McGinn would have to be disciplined enough to not get drawn to far forward though. 

30 minutes ago, tinker said:

I see that as well and But it's also exposed when he plays DM, however with Jack playing with him further forward the opposition will have to cover them both, Jack with 2 players. Plus they would also have Wez, for me (or Kodjia for others) Trez and Elgahzi to cover. They would have to reduce their high press and cover our attacking threat, allowing McGinn to push further up as well. McGinn would have to be disciplined enough to not get drawn to far forward though. 

That's a very gung ho strategy to play. A midfield of Luiz, Mcginn and Grealish with 2 of those being primarily attacking players and no DM or defensive minded CM  would provide almost no protection to the defence whatsoever. Not that the midfield is currently doing that very well mind you, but this would probably make that worse. I can easily see us getting trapped in one of those vicious cycles where the ball keeps coming back to our box over and over again. Even then, I'd much rather Jota over Douglas.

I agree that currently he's not very good as a DM, I just don't think he'd be very as an AM either and his attributes seems more valuable as a DM. Think a couple of months of him building himself to be a big swole dude would do wonders in helping against his limitations as a DM. He can afford to sacrifice a bit of pace for more physicality imo.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

On 17/12/2019 at 16:51, rodders0223 said:

Screamers aside I think he has been absolutely bang average.
Plays with a swagger so is quite deceiving but makes no impact in games and if you're up against it really fades away from the game.
Doesn't demand the ball and isn't anywhere near as sharp or desperate enough to get into space to get on the ball.

Agreed. He’s a classy operator but he never controls the midfield. 

Â