Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Here an article about Engels, it’s grammatically awful and they spelled his name wrong a couple of times, but it’s interesting to get some background on a player I know little about:

Engels Article - full article, the below quote is a bit rubbish, but there’s some interesting bits in the full one

Once Tyrone Mings finally signed on the dotting line for Aston Villa, the big question was who was going to partner him at centre-back in Villa’s backline. In a stark contrast to their centre-back shortcomings at the start of last season, Villa now have four centre-backs to chose from to partner Mings. It’s certainly a close call between James Chester, Ezri Konsa, Kortney Hause and Bjorn Engels, as to who’ll be the starter.

Many would have seen the reported £12m price tag for Konsa, as an early indication that the ex-Brentford man, would be in pole position. Similarities with Axel Tuanzebe have been spoken about, in terms of age and playing style, yet despite playing 42 times in the Championship last season, would Konsa be classed as too inexperienced to make the immediate step up? 

Hause and Chester had both successfully filled the role before for Villa, but would they be starting in the Premier League from the off? Wolves were happy to sacrifice Hause, once they got promoted and Chester had been on West Brom’s bench in the Premier League, when Villa came a calling.

Despite Smith’s long-term interest in Bjorn Engels, it was still something of a surprise when Villa opted to add a fifth centre-back to the squad, when often having four options is considered enough.

On 25/07/2019 at 16:20, dudevillaisnice said:

Looked much quicker than Mertesacker to me

So he has a turning circle smaller than a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 25/07/2019 at 16:20, dudevillaisnice said:

Looked much quicker than Mertesacker to me

I mean I wasn't saying he was a carbon copy of Mertesacker, separated at birth by an unethical experiment on identical twins. It was just a passing resemblance. Watch them and there's a very similar approach to defending. Mertesacker has over 100 caps for Germany, so it's not a criticism...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I mean I wasn't saying he was a carbon copy of Mertesacker, separated at birth by an unethical experiment on identical twins. It was just a passing resemblance. Watch them and there's a very similar approach to defending. Mertesacker has over 100 caps for Germany, so it's not a criticism...

you ok hun?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I thought the same thing when watching him against Walsall. Looks like a really good player to me. Admittedly bigger tests await.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

He has something awkward about him, about the way he moves or something.... we'll see, but Konsa is above him for me at the moment.

Its his physique, like a defensive Peter Crouch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think he looks awkward at all, I think he looks pretty composed and no more "gangly than Mings who is of a similar height.

O know we will see how he does against a sterner test in the prem, but currently I really like what I see from him.

• Like 1

Engles Impressed me the most today, I thought he looked calm, some good blocks and clever passes out of defence.

RBL have some good forwards and we looked like we dealt with them well. Encouraging. 

• Like 1

Â