Björn Engels

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yes, will be interesting to see him in action.

Do we think he will be first choice along side Mings?

Personally I would hope it's Engels or Konsa first choice alongside Mings.

Tbh I could see them being better in different situations, if we expect a more direct approach and higher balls etc Engels might be better, if it's more agile on the ground type play maybe konsa as he's quite rapid and agile himself?

Who knows though, either way it's Engels or Konsa for me with Mings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yes, will be interesting to see him in action.

Do we think he will be first choice along side Mings?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hause play alongside Mings for a bit. They have established chemistry already.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hause play alongside Mings for a bit. They have established chemistry already.

And Hause is pretty good at a couple of things Mings isn't brilliant at, like (surprisingly perhaps) aerial duels. 

I think Hause is underrated personally. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

And Hause is pretty good at a couple of things Mings isn't brilliant at, like (surprisingly perhaps) aerial duels. 

I think Hause is underrated personally. 

I agree, and he looked pretty sharp against Minnesota.

• Like 1

Bjorn Engels, I'm looking forward him play this sunday if he is picked, as i never see him playing at moment i hope Smith picking Engels to pair with mings to task if they, can play and work together first choice partner, if not shaft to that try with Konsa with Mings.

But what to do with Chester? Sell him and play Raven and Sulliman as 3rd choice partner? 

off the topic:-

Minnesota vs Villa I can see Konsa and Hause is good partner in make as both have pace and strength, also good feet as well.

if we rest Ming and Engels and I am complete trust with Konsa and Hause in first team week in and out and good future and long term partner as they are very impressive me but i know it is early day but maybe i am wrong with this, i'm hope not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

I imagine he will get minutes against Walsall. Saw on Twitter Chester had to come off at the end today?

At the end of the second 45 mins?

Not good if so.

On 20/07/2019 at 19:40, Danny_Villaman84 said:

Bjorn Engels, I'm looking forward him play this sunday if he is picked, as i never see him playing at moment i hope Smith picking Engels to pair with mings to task if they, can play and work together first choice partner, if not shaft to that try with Konsa with Mings.

But what to do with Chester? Sell him and play Raven and Sulliman as 3rd choice partner? 

off the topic:-

Minnesota vs Villa I can see Konsa and Hause is good partner in make as both have pace and strength, also good feet as well.

if we rest Ming and Engels and I am complete trust with Konsa and Hause in first team week in and out and good future and long term partner as they are very impressive me but i know it is early day but maybe i am wrong with this, i'm hope not.

I'm also looking forward to seeing him play. I wonder why he didn't get any minutes today. As the season is only threee weeks away and Engels is new to the league I guess he wont be first choice together with Mings. If so it's about time he gets some minutes on the pitch. If Chester is fit enough I would pair him with Mings as the first choice CB:s. I'd have Konsa as third choice and then Engels and House depending on how good Engels is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm also looking forward to seeing him play. I wonder why he didn't get any minutes today. As the season is only threee weeks away and Engels is new to the league I guess he wont be first choice together with Mings. If so it's about time he gets some minutes on the pitch. If Chester is fit enough I would pair him with Mings as the first choice CB:s. I'd have Konsa as third choice and then Engels and House depending on how good Engels is.

I heard he had a small knock

• Like 1

Thought I'd find some examples of Engels playing against top class attacks...

PSG 4 - 1 Reims

One of the best attacks in Europe, so obviously he was going to have a hard time, but interesting anyway as you get to see plenty of him in the highlights.

0:47 - I think Engels (number 2) is probably at fault for PSG's first goal. Gives Cavani too much space initially, does a weird offside step, and then he's slow with his recovery. Admittedly the movement from Cavani is excellent, and he was probably expecting an inside pass rather than a lob at the end.

1:15 - don't think he does anything wrong on the second goal. Can see he likes to stay on his feet and doesn't dive in.

1:45 - third goal he seems to get a call from the keeper so pulls out of the header. Keeper fumbles. Blameless I think.

2:22 - PSG's fourth goal is a superb move starting with a Neymar run, but it's Engels's man who finishes it off. Watch the replay around 2:40 / 2:41 and Engels seems to get his body shape all wrong, and then doesn't have the pace to make up the ground when Meunier breaks through.

Reims 1 - 1 Lille

Lille came second in Ligue 1 with the famous Leao up top.

0:42 goalscoring chance for Lille. Not sure if Engels could have done much with this one.

1:09 goal from a corner. Blameless.

1:45 attacking corner and Engels gets a good head on a difficult chance.

Lyon 1 - 1 Reims

Lyon came third. Really decent attack with Memphis Depay and Bertrand Traore up top, Fekir sitting in the hole, and Ndombele in midfield. A proper test for a defender. Scoreline suggests he did okay.

0:25 disallowed goal for Lyon (very tight offside). Long ball for Traore who is playing off the shoulder of the other centre back. This wouldn't have been his fault, but he's a bit slow to chase.

1:48 chance for Lyon. Nothing wrong with the positioning or decision making, but again looks a little bit slow.

2:03 goal for Lyon. It's his man who plays the goalscorer through, and maybe Engels is a touch too deep?

Overall, these highlights videos are always going to be unfair on a defender, because you only see the goals and chances, so reserving judgment on him until I've seen him play a few times for us.

My only concern at the moment would be his pace on the turn, since we're not going to coach that into him. He looks much slower than all our other defenders. Reminds me a bit of Mertesacker.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

looked good versus Walsall.

calm, comfortable, confident, played the ball around well, looked like he had a good partnership with Mings.

Granted will need to see how he does versus better opponents, but absolutely nothing wrong with that debut, and either him or Konsa would be fine imo, will be interesting to see who starts alongside Mings.

• Like 1

Â