Björn Engels

Delphinho123

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The bizarre clearance where he hooked the ball out of the air over his head and away was excellent. Good debut and not much he could have more.

I'd forgotten about that until you reminded me of it. I loved that.

In many ways he looked like a very good player, made some good blocks, reads the game well and was very good in the air. He won the arial battle with Alderweireld and the set pieces, I thought he would be a bit to weak and get bullied, but saw non of that.

The concerns I have, which I hope he improves on, is that he seems a bit passive at times. In the first half when a spurs player was off side when he ran towards goal it was Engels man, but it was Mings and Elmo who rushed back and made the tackle, Engels jogged back. At their first goal and on another occation as well he let the spurs player shoot, he sat down and made some kind of ice hockey block, I'd like him to instead have the instinct that Mings have, that is throwing his body in front of the ball/player, not putting a knee down on the ground and try to cover.

• Like 1

I'm with Under A GasLamp, Mings and Engels should be known as "Mingels." They look a good partnership already. 

Personally, I see him getting caps for Belgium sooner or later. He was nothing short of excellent tonight and a snip at the price we paid for him. 

All aboard the Mingels train!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

In many ways he looked like a very good player, made some good blocks, reads the game well and was very good in the air. He won the arial battle with Alderweireld and the set pieces, I thought he would be a bit to weak and get bullied, but saw non of that.

The concerns I have, which I hope he improves on, is that he seems a bit passive at times. In the first half when a spurs player was off side when he ran towards goal it was Engels man, but it was Mings and Elmo who rushed back and made the tackle, Engels jogged back. At their first goal and on another occation as well he let the spurs player shoot, he sat down and made some kind of ice hockey block, I'd like him to instead have the instinct that Mings have, that is throwing his body in front of the ball/player, not putting a knee down on the ground and try to cover.

I thought that he could have been a bit more square on for the Spurs third goal. That was definitely something he could have stopped.

You mention he should be more like Mings and throw his body in front of the ball, I agree. However, for their second goal Mings turned side-on and raised his knee to deflect it in. If Mings had stood sqare-on he would have blocked the shot. 

• Like 1

To think this time last year we had probably the weakest center back line up I have ever seen at villa , and now we have Engels and Ming's with Konsa and Chester on the bench, it's an amazing turn around and one Smith should be proud of 

Engels , under severe pressure , was immense and that's taking nothing away from Ming's , but it was his first competitive game for us! His acrobatic clearance was a wtf moment , last time we had a player capable of that type of move was a long time ago.....abit Cahill like to me . 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tinker said:

To think this time last year we had probably the weakest center back line up I have ever seen at villa , and now we have Engels and Ming's with Konsa and Chester on the bench, it's an amazing turn around and one Smith should be proud of 

Engels , under severe pressure , was immense and that's taking nothing away from Ming's , but it was his first competitive game for us! His acrobatic clearance was a wtf moment , last time we had a player capable of that type of move was a long time ago.....abit Cahill like to me . 

Is this acrobatic clearance in any highlights or snippet vids?

Heard it mentioned a few times but haven't seen it yet?

10 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think you raise a good point, and in a good way too. Engels was class, but he can still improve. He gave Kane too much room a few times, most notably at the very end of the first half. But anyway, a very good debut that bodes well for the future.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Is this acrobatic clearance in any highlights or snippet vids?

Heard it mentioned a few times but haven't seen it yet?

I haven't seen it on highlights, maybe motd had it on, I won't be watching that until we win 😌

Edited by tinker

Â