Björn Engels

Delphinho123

5 minutes ago, Ponky said:

5 centre backs!

Or as Steve Bruce and Martin O'Neill would say, 4 centre backs and an emergency striker! 

It's not the Aston Villa we know. We didn't get 2 rb's, nor 2 keepers until now. 😁

To be honest, I'm getting my expectations much higher. I couldn't believe we've been up for couple of days after the final. It's really unlike Aston Villa. I had a feeling that we would go to the playoffs (or atleast turn it around and have some chance). But at the same time I've seen it hard to not ruin. 

Hopefully those days of ruining are far behind us. 

Wolverhampton, here we come. PRIDE OF THE MIDLANDS! 😀

To all PL teams, the founder of the  football league is back. 

I don't like being over optimistic, but to be honest we're doing a great job. 

Smith is usually criticized about bad defense but he really great with us. He got 4 defenders now which shows that he know whats he's doing. I only fear that he'll try and attack every game, which I don't think he will.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

One thing that concerns me slightly is that Dean Smith said he had been watching him for the past 18 months. To me that means he was scouted by Brentford, a then and now mid table Championship team. Hope he is good enough for the Premier League.

From the pictures and stated weight (only 74 kg for such a tall guy) he needs to beef up quickly.

Yet, we all want Benrahma, Maupay and Konsa who are all scouted by him in Brentford.

We got McGinn with a shy competetion from Celtic. No one else came for him. Now, we would prefer keeping him than getting some of 30m-40m players. I don't think anyone would prefer the likes of Philips compared to McGinn.

Funny. Belgian couple touring NZ in my local bar. Guy is big Brugge fan. Said Wesley is great and Engel was a fan favourite they hoped would never leave. I said what about his light weight and he said he always seemed to be in right position so never noticed it as problem

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Hmmmm we need a song and his name is a Björn.  If only there was a famous song writer called Björn. 

How about 

I believe in Engels, Gets his head to every cross I see.
I believe in Engels, clears the ball with head or foot or knee,

He reigns supreme. He makes the team.

Where's me coat? 

Don't look back in Enger !

He looks very, very wiry compared to the rest of the squad. We've got wingers with more bulk to them. I imagine he'll be put on a gym regime to get some more muscle put on him over the season.

• Like 1

How important is it for a CB to be built like a brick s**thouse now in the Premier League?

VAR will deal with all the fouling on set pieces, and there aren't many teams playing a genuine bruiser up top (off the top of my head, you're looking at Lukaku, Glenn Murray, Chris Wood).

David Luiz and John Stones are a similar build?

Agree he could do with some gym work, but don't think it's as big a deal as people are making out.

19 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

39 I think, though 7 came in one game against Chelsea. They were fantastic for O'Neill and not bad for McLeish either. We absolutely should have kept Collins when Lambert binned him off as part of his bomb squad. 

Proved himself to be a decent human last season as well when he ripped up that 5 week contract following the injury. 

There's lots to criticise Lambert for but I don't think this is one of them, I can't recall many on here being against the decision to bin Collins off, quite the opposite in fact. And ripping up what I don't imagine was a very lucrative short term contract doesn't exactly make him a saint.

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Can we get back to talking about Björn again?*

(* I know. Very contrived and clunky)

I have actually seen them in concert. They were pretty good. 🙂

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Delphouneso said:

There's lots to criticise Lambert for but I don't think this is one of them, I can't recall many on here being against the decision to bin Collins off, quite the opposite in fact. And ripping up what I don't imagine was a very lucrative short term contract doesn't exactly make him a saint.

I was. 

And I didn't say it made him a saint. I was saying it shows good character. 

Â