Björn Engels

Delphinho123

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I saw that, 11 tackles in 33 games, weird. Just looked and Virgil Van Dijk only made 38 last year... maybe I don’t understand what a ‘tackle’ is in the statistical sense.

These stats are compiled by human beings using blurry concepts of tackle / block / interception / clearance / aerial duel.

If you look at Engels's stats, he has a very low tackle count, but he is listed as having the most clearances per game (5.4) of any Reims player (8th highest in the whole of Ligue 1). He also has the most blocks per game (0.7). He has their second highest passing accuracy (83.8%) despite playing their second highest number of long passes per game (3.8).

I'm guessing the difference between a clearance and a tackle is often pretty debatable. An attacker slightly overruns a ball and the defender steps in and knocks it cleanly up to one of his wingers, the observer records it as a clearance. Whereas if you'd slid in, it would have been recorded as a tackle.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:15, Kiwivillan said:

Send me an Engels ooh ooh e ooh right now

Real Life?

That's a blast from the past.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We seem to have signed a centre half that doesn’t tackle.

Fairly confident Paul McGrath didn't make many tackles either.  He's read the game and step out to intercept the ball.

This is anecdotal, however, and so is there to be shot at...

• Like 2

Hmmmm we need a song and his name is a Björn.  If only there was a famous song writer called Björn. 

How about 

I believe in Engels, Gets his head to every cross I see.
I believe in Engels, clears the ball with head or foot or knee,

He reigns supreme. He makes the team.

Where's me coat? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smg said:

Good centre backs only tackle as a last resort, they rely on intelligence, understanding, communication and positioning we will see next season.

Jamie Carragher made a career out of great last ditch tackles, was always ignored that his shit positioning was the reason he had to do it. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Fairly confident Paul McGrath didn't make many tackles either.  He's read the game and step out to intercept the ball.

This is anecdotal, however, and so is there to be shot at...

I was thinking along those lines myself, the more cultured the defender the fewer "tackles" you see them making perhaps.

By their measurement of "tackles", if we are reading it right, I'd imagine midfielders have far higher numbers. Maybe. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Jamie Carragher made a career out of great last ditch tackles, was always ignored that his shit positioning was the reason he had to do it. 

A good contrast we had at Villa was Collins and Dunne :lol: 

It actually didn't work out too bad when put together. Think we conceded less than a goal a game one season with those 2.

Â