Björn Engels

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Is this acrobatic clearance in any highlights or snippet vids?

Heard it mentioned a few times but haven't seen it yet?

20 minutes ago, tinker said:

I haven't seen it on highlights, maybe motd had it on, I won't be watching that until we win 😌

Didn't see it on MOTD, hopefully someone can link something at some point!

13 hours ago, av1 said:

Based on today, and also the fact I'm half drunk, I'm calling POTS. The guy looks quality. 

Never call POTS when drunk. Otherwise people like Stephen Ireland win it! 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm with Under A GasLamp, Mings and Engels should be known as "Mingels." They look a good partnership already. 

Personally, I see him getting caps for Belgium sooner or later. He was nothing short of excellent tonight and a snip at the price we paid for him. 

All aboard the Mingels train!

Are you sure it's not The Villa Enging?

• Like 1

Another great thing about this Engels + Mings partnership is it makes me feel more comfortable risking Hourihane at DM. Having two ballers behind him definitely seems to make him less panicky in possession, and it means we get Hourihane's threat on set pieces and long shots.

That Mings + Engels + Heaton unit looks top-half Premier League to me. Just need the rest of the squad to start firing, and I think we can start picking up a few points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

The Engels / Mings / Heaton unit is such a massive positive from that first game. Every time I feel anxious about some other aspect of the team, I just remind myself of this. It took until February to get this vital cog in the machine right last season. This time, we appear to have got it sorted on Day One (AND with decent cover). Hats off to Deano, the recruitment team and all three players.

Scary to think that in our last PL season we had Lescott/Richards/Guzan for a lot of it.

An absolutely phenomenal performance under intense pressure, man of the match for me. He did not deserve to be on the losing side of a defence conceding three goals. 

There's no prettier sight in football than a central defender who makes the game look effortless. He's like James Chester in that regard, but better. And better on the ball. 

Hause and Konsa have their work cut out because between Engels and Mings, we have a premier league centre half partnership. No doubt in my mind. 

• Like 2

Yeah I was really impressed with him as most others seem to be.

He's tall and great in the air, but so much more to his game other than that as well. Looked comfortable on the ball, good passer.

Considering I had no idea what to expect, I was put totally at ease about our defence. 

Heaton with Engels and Mings is a lovely triangle to have if they keep performing as they've started.

If the new fullbacks impress too then our first choice defence could be looking pretty damn good.

• Like 1

Â