Matt Targett

villan-scott

Behind Jack and Luiz he is the best footballer at the club.

Plays the ball with pace purpose into feet, good movement, good crossing, wicked technique.

Just lacking that pace. If he had it Southampton wouldnt have sold him though.

It is joy to watch a  fullback being actually able to play football. We have had about 3 in the last decade.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Plays the ball with pace purpose into feet, good movement, good crossing, wicked technique.

It is joy to watch a  fullback being actually able to play football. We have had about 3 in the last decade.

This is the issue with the budget/wage department we have had to shop in.

We get a load of "almost" players, all lacking something.

We can only hope one eye was on improving them.

Unfortunately it's difficult to improve size and pace though.

5 hours ago, Hornso said:

Hard to appreciate how truly bad we have been at converting chances until you see how many times in that clip someone failed to even get a shot off, let alone get it on target. Damn.

Edited by jjaacckk91
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I can’t help but feel a fullback needs pace more than ever these days. He could be the best footballer in the world but without pace, he’s going to be shown up, especially at Premier League level. 

I remember him at home to Norwich, and Max Aaron’s went round him time and time again. 

I like Targett, I just think he’s probably a championship standard full back because he’s so slow.

Hes weak as piss and slow as ****.   How this equates to being a quality fullback ill never know.......... massively overpaid for him.   Will probably be OK in the championship, which begs the question "Why buy him for the Premier League?"

he will be a quality LB in the championship.

I also think he's a decent prem left back as long as he has someone ahead of him who helps out, which he hasn't had a lot of the time this season.

Edited by MaVilla

We noticeable improved when he came on v Palace. We also noticeably have offered absolutely nothing since he got injured a couple of games ago. he is Prem quality and him, jack, and whichever midfielder gets close to them when we're attacking, are a potent threat.

3 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Hard to appreciate how truly bad we have been at converting chances until you see how many times in that clip someone failed to even get a shot off, let alone get it on target. Damn.

We have weaknesses all over the pitch, but a decent goal scorer is the one that has cost us most this season. 

9 hours ago, Hornso said:

Wesley actually got on the end on one of those.

On most of them thou he just looks like he's got no idea of where to take up position or attack. On one of them he's like the 4th or 5th Villa player running into the box :D 

1 minute ago, sne said:

Wesley actually got on the end on one of those.

On most of them thou he just looks like he's got no idea of where to take up position or attack. On one of them he's like the 4th or 5th Villa player running into the box :D 

Are you saying a more effective Coach could get more out of him and improve him?

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

Some of those misses really sum us up.

El ghazi with some shocking finishing, and the last chance where two miss the ball, omg.

Edited by MaVilla

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Are you saying a more effective Coach could get more out of him and improve him?

Very much that, he needs to learn how to make runs, take up positions and learn those thing by practicing because it doesn't come natural to him.

Edit: Mentioned this before but I hope a large part of his rehab routine had him watching videos of strikers and going over them with our attacking coach. He can't do it on the field atm but he can watch and learn.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â