Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Still don't really know how he scored that goal. Can't get my head round the angle/ flight of it at all! Don't care though. Chuffed for him, seems a nice lad. And he owed us for that diabolical free kick earlier

I think the keeper went down too low and it went in the near post over his right shoulder.  Wasnt great keeping, especially when he had just made a great save from a very similar shot by Davis.  Not complaining though.

5 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Still don't really know how he scored that goal. Can't get my head round the angle/ flight of it at all! Don't care though. Chuffed for him, seems a nice lad. And he owed us for that diabolical free kick earlier

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think the keeper went down too low and it went in the near post over his right shoulder.  Wasnt great keeping, especially when he had just made a great save from a very similar shot by Davis.  Not complaining though.

yeah, i think 99/100 that just goes straight at the keeper and he parries it away, really weird by their keeper, would almost call it a mistake, not complaining though.......will take it!

59 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Still don't really know how he scored that goal. Can't get my head round the angle/ flight of it at all! 

After about 20mins I was saying to the guys around me that we should be shooting at every opportunity because their keeper was having a mare. 

He wasn't at his best today, but his ability on the ball and his willingness to get forward totally transforms the whole left hand side of the pitch, he is a huge upgrade on Taylor

thought it might be his first prem goal, but seems its his second.

First for Villa though!, well done Matty!

Even when he's not at his best he's still a 1000% better than taylor, nearly had an assist when Hourihane hit it at the keeper, scored a goal, good job son.....

Some people doubted him, I can't say I had a lot of faith in him when he first came. I then asked my friend (who's Fulham his second team, a season ticket holder), he told me good things about him.

I don't want to go so far, but I was discussing today about who did we have a better keeper than Heaton? back to Bosnich days?

We had Amavi, Bertrand (although loan). Who else?

To be honest, I didn't notice the importance of goal keeping and FB's until lately.

This season gave us a lesson already about how useful could the fullback be.

We saw during the Kyle Walker days some of what could happen.

But look at today? Guilbert assist, Targett goal.

• Like 1

When was the last time a left back scored from open play for Villa in a league game? 

Also, when was the last time both full backs were involved in all our goals in a league game? 

Edited by Villarocker

15 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Some people doubted him, I can't say I had a lot of faith in him when he first came. I then asked my friend (who's Fulham his second team, a season ticket holder), he told me good things about him.

I don't want to go so far, but I was discussing today about who did we have a better keeper than Heaton? back to Bosnich days?

To be honest, I didn't notice the importance of goal keeping and FB's until lately.

Bertrand was as totally different level to Amavi IMO. Amavi was very inconsistent but he did have utter incompetence all around him. I don’t think we have had a consistently good LB since peak Bouma.

Re your keeper comment though, surely Brad Friedel?? Guzan at his peak was also excellent and so was Johnstone. Keepers aren’t usually much of an issue for Villa other than Guzan deciding he’s rubbish and Nyland barely being a goalkeeper.

Edited by Spoony

11 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Bertrand was as totally different level to Amavi IMO. Amavi was very inconsistent but he did have utter incompetence all around him. I don’t think we have had a consistently good LB since peak Bouma.

Re your keeper comment though, surely Brad Friedel?? Guzan at his peak was also excellent and so was Johnstone. Keepers aren’t usually much of an issue for Villa other than Guzan deciding he’s rubbish and Nyland barely being a goalkeeper.

What I’m trying to say, I don’t think Friedel was as good as Heaton. Same with fullbacks especially LB.

In another words, how many of this squad would you put them as a first pr second choices combined with all last decade squads.

16 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Friedel, Guzan and Shay Given in my opinion all were better keepers for us than Heaton has been so far. I think he has made one really quality save and that was connolys against Brighton. Guzan had a season where he and benteke basically kept us up by themselves. 

Edited by MotoMkali

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Friedel, Guzan and Shay Given in my opinion all were better keepers for us than Heaton has been so far. I think he has made one really quality save and that was connolys against Brighton. Guzan had a season where he and benteke basically kept us up by themselves. 

From my recollection Given was terrible for us! And played second fiddle to a resurgent Guzan most the time? 

• Like 2

On 20/10/2019 at 00:55, abdulaziz1 said:

aside from their assist + goal they were both really poor saturday. if they defend like that vs city then they could well better their watford result. i'd go as far as to say i'd play taylor in the next game because targett's defending was absolutely woeful.

not denying at all he adds more going forward than taylor, and these home games i'd still give targett the nod to start...but city are a totally different animal to brighton, and without heaton making some cracking saves and coming off his line quickly we'd have lost

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villan-scott said:

From my recollection Given was terrible for us! And played second fiddle to a resurgent Guzan most the time? 

He was good for 2 years. Friedels last season and the season before guzan really stepped up. 

He's obviously still coming to terms with the team after not being picked for the first few matches.  He didn't have a great game on Saturday, but his willingness to get forward and try things already makes him so much more valuable than Taylor.  That's a goal and an assist in two games now, Taylor managed 4 assists in 4 years for us.  

Â