Matt Targett

villan-scott

15 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Saw a few misplaced passes from him today. Was that after or before the knock to the head?

After.

Don't get me wrong - he wasn't as good as he has been recently even before the head knock. But, then, most of our players were sub-par.

• Like 1

Is he really that good?

Let's remember he couldn't get in a pretty bad Southampton team over last 2-3 seasons.

Can't say I have that high hopes for him in the long term compared to our other summer signings. Dosen't help the left back area is just a jinxed position for us.

Still the goal he scored v Brighton could be very important come May.

Not easy to defend against Adama, you dont get many worse gigs than that but he was very poor and didn't seem prepared at all. So flat footed and looked like he didn't want to be on the pitch. Not what any fan wants to see but I'm sure he'll bounce back.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is he really that good?

Let's remember he couldn't get in a pretty bad Southampton team over last 2-3 seasons.

Can't say I have that high hopes for him in the long term compared to our other summer signings. Dosen't help the left back area is just a jinxed position for us.

Looked good for us so far overall.

1 hour ago, birdman said:

Not easy to defend against Adama, you dont get many worse gigs than that but he was very poor and didn't seem prepared at all. So flat footed and looked like he didn't want to be on the pitch. Not what any fan wants to see but I'm sure he'll bounce back.

Exactly. Every player will find it hard to play against.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is he really that good?

I think he is yes, his use of the ball going forward is excellent and he can defend too. They had Bertrand at Southampton, I think Targett is better and younger. We paid a lot of money for Targett but in the long term, I think he will be great for us

Have to say I think the blurred vision was way of getting out. Sorry. We were right on halftime and should have finished the half with 10 men and assessed at halftime, instead we we were left with just one change possible for the rest of the game. I think Smith should have taken charge and said no to using a sub with 45mins on the clock and gone in at halftime to re-evaluate. It’s things like this incident that make me question whether are capable of finding that ruthless edge required. 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:04, birdman said:

Taylor seemed to do fine against him

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Taylor seemed to do fine against him

Standing off is his go to style that he uses against everyone every game regardless of what.

This time it sorta worked.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Standing off is his go to style that he uses against everyone every game regardless of what.

This time it sorta worked.

Indeed and with a fast tank of a player like Traore there is only two ways to defend - don't get too close and do your best to track in front of them to block any ball OR go in on them immediately without hesitation and get the ball....or get a card! 

Pretty shocked (or not tbh), that people are questioning  concussion as faked to be subbed, this forum sometimes.....blimey.

If he struggled solo versus Adama is that really a shock?, yes could have stood off or got closer, but ideally to deal with a player like Adama you have one going to him, then a second player standing off so if he tries to go by the closer player the second is there to take the ball when he knocks it past the first, doubling up (one close, one stood off) on a racey winger is tactics 101 really, if we didn't do that then we either were tactically poor or chose not to do it and isolate a player with him.

Either way seems we didn't deal with him correctly.

Can't blame an average speed player for not dealing well with a really really fast player if we leave them 1 on 1 in acres of space.....

• Like 1

Â