Matt Targett

villan-scott

13 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Not sure that’s true, there were quotes where it was Targett saying he didn’t want to be a backup 

Yeah because Matt knew he would be nailed to the bench.  Steven wants FBs who can cover endline to endline.  That isn't Matt's game, so the writing was on the wall. 

I fully believe it was a mutual parting of ways. Both sides wanted something different. Villa was able to secure a deal that worked for us and Matt. It was a win-win. I guess some on here just aren't going to accept that. 

Leaving side the mind numbing waffle about the financial package that literally not a single person in here has any knowledge of whatsoever, the reason he’s leaving is that he’s not as good as Digne at football. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Now need to go and buy an up-and-coming LB who already has a bit of experience and the potential to be a viable replacement for Digne in a few years.

I'd say it's between Merlin, Sergio Gomez, or Hickey who have all been linked to us. All the right age (20/21) and all have the potential to get to Digne's level. 

I’ll make a prediction that there won’t be a single genuine post next season wishing that targett was still here. I also predict that Newcastle fans will have a different view when they start seeing every opposing team focus on him as the weak link in their defence next season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Now need to go and buy an up-and-coming LB who already has a bit of experience and the potential to be a viable replacement for Digne in a few years.

I'd say it's between Merlin, Sergio Gomez, or Hickey who have all been linked to us. All the right age (20/21) and all have the potential to get to Digne's level. 

It would be nice if this were like the Beale departure where we all argue amongst ourselves for 24 hours before the club announce an out of nowhere replacement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The club probably didn’t want to spend a couple of months haggling over a couple of million when our entire MO this summer has been to move forward as quickly as possible, even if that means it cost a few quid here and there. 

We can argue the merits of that, but the strategy is clear. 

Assume we were not signing a new Left Back until this was completed. Would be a disaster if Targett Digne and a new signing were here. Plus signing a new left back now would have taken all negotiating power off Villa as they would know we are desperate to sell a now 3rd choice left back. 

It's smart business moving players on before replacing them. For example I assume we'll move on Davis or Traore before we sign another forward. Our next signing will be a left back. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I’ll make a prediction that there won’t be a single genuine post next season wishing that targett was still here. I also predict that Newcastle fans will have a different view when they start seeing every opposing team focus on him as the weak link in their defence next season. 

No Newcastle fan will ever admit they were wrong 

Â