Matt Targett

villan-scott

12--15 million is a good deal if get it from Fulham, West Ham

Newcastle paid that for Dan Burn, we should have included a mandatory fee for 20 million. They were desperate on deadline day

In the end the loan worked as well. No way are we selling Targett for a double digit fee if he had sat on the bench for the second half of the season. 

Steven didn't want Targett, not even as a backup. So getting him off the books at pretty much a break even price is job done. 

Edited by Rightdm00
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

If we get anything close to £15,000,000 for Targett, it’s a phenomenal deal for Villa and we should be doing cartwheels. He’s a decent player but nothing more. Selling a player at break even or a small profit after three years of service is the perfect business model, particularly if the player is now surplus to requirements. We are normally stuck trying to give these types of players away. 

I agree, but that market has inflated in those three years. And it's to Newcastle who will be there stopping us from progressing for the majority of the next 10 seasons.

Well done to the recruitment team and Purslow if they can close this deal off. 12m/15m is great money for a player that would easily have become part of a bomb squad sitting on the bench earning 3m a year for the next few years. The transfer window isn't even open yet and we have managed to get 4 players in and it looks like we have finally managed to actually sell a player we didn't want for some decent money. Long may this type of activity continue at Villa Park

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I agree, but that market has inflated in those three years. And it's to Newcastle who will be there stopping us from progressing for the majority of the next 10 seasons.

Selling a player that is not good enough for the Villa first 11 to a rival to be in their first 11 is a very smart thing to do :)

• Like 1

Just now, gilbertoAVFC said:

Shocking in 2019/20, good in 2020/21, not great in 2021/22. He's not reliable and is the definition of inconsistent which Gerrard hates. More than happy to see him go for £15m. 

Apparently we overpaid when we shelled out 14m for him (Purslow and Villa are bad), now that we are selling him for 15m we are undervaluing him (Purslow and Villa are bad) 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Shocking in 2019/20, good in 2020/21, not great in 2021/22. He's not reliable and is the definition of inconsistent which Gerrard hates. More than happy to see him go for £15m. 

Was he really shocking though in 2019/20? 

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Selling a player that is not good enough for the Villa first 11 to a rival to be in their first 11 is a very smart thing to do :)

We should keep pace with them nicely if we have unlimited resources as you said. Looking forward to our title charge soon.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

We should keep pace with them nicely if we have unlimited resources as you said. Looking forward to our title charge soon.

You think Newcastle are about to have a title charge? Did you see the LB they are in the process of signing as their first choice left back? He is nowhere near title charge level. However, French International Lucas Digne would be the type of player for a title charge. I wouldn't like to see us keep pace with Toon. I prefer the way we are buying better players and better quality. I also like the way we are investing hugely in our youth players. 

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Genuine question--do you get any enjoyment out of being a football supporter? 

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Genuine question--do you get any enjoyment out of being a football supporter? 

Absolutely loads.

Do you get any enjoyment from Gregg Evans articles?

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was he really shocking though in 2019/20? 

Yes. Cost us more goals than anyone. When he was having a below average game it would turn into a horrific game.

Didn't understand how close to be to Mings and was not fit enough. Regularly "bottled it".

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely loads.

Do you get any enjoyment from Gregg Evans articles?

You seem very negative all the time though, that is why I ask.

Umm, yeah, I don't read them though as I don't have a subscription--I like to post them along with all the other Villa related articles I find on Twitter. John Percy and Tom Collomosse are my favourite journalists, I'd say.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

You think Newcastle are about to have a title charge?

About to? Doubt it.

Getting away from it here.

I don't think it's a good deal the money we've got from Newcastle for Targett. You clearly do. Great.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I don't read them though as I don't have a subscription--I like to post them along with all the other Villa related articles I find on Twitter.

Wouldn't sign up if I was you. Awful Villa content.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

John Percy and Tom Collomosse are my favourite journalists, I'd say.

These fellas have sources.

Â