Matt Targett

villan-scott

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not sure I agree with that. They are already saying getting Targett is better than bringing in Digne or Lodi 🤣

If I was them I'd be worried about their hope of signing all the Galacticos. Sacked from Bournemouth Eddie Howe signing slower than tectonic plate movement Matt Targett is not the stuff of dreams is it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzyBoy said:

£15M all in, including loan fee (apparently).

Good deal. He's never going to start regularly for us as Digne is a far better player. He doesn't want to be backup so getting a chunk of cash for him is great for all parties

• Like 3

You lot still moaning about his price? He ain’t good enough for us so ain’t going to be good enough for them in a season or two.  I do notice those moaning are generally upset with the club at the moment because of a certain manager.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Wish him all the best. But he's gonna find himself in the same situation again in a season or two when Newcastle splash some cash on a left back.

Don't be surprised if he actually finds himself in the same situation THIS season.

I reckon this is a safe hands signing for Newcastle just in case they don't get their other targets.

They love him up there it seems as well.

Oh well.

Wonder how much he was on here, and how much he frees up in wages?

Bassey or Merlin in?

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

From player of the season to somd at a loss in 1 season. Football is crazy like that.

Was he player of the season because he was out standout player or did he win it because he was very consistent and over achieved. I like him but he was never anything special.

9 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Are we losing money on him? 

No, I think people are forgetting that we got the use of him as a player for the last 3 years or so and he helped us stay in the PL. The fact that we have already accounted for about 75% of the original transfer fee means we are making a profit of about 10m+ this year which helps towards FFP. Further, we have future losses of about 3m that we no longer have to absorb and we save 3m a year on wages.

22 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Are we losing money on him? 

Surprised there isn't more chat about if this is a good deal or not to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Targett was a good signing for us, he had some great moments and was a steady 7/10 up until this season. We’ve got a better LB now so we’re moving him on. Seems sensible. The price means that we’ve got a decent fee back for him. Win-win for Villa and Matty. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

From player of the season to somd at a loss in 1 season. Football is crazy like that.

Not a loss though is it, either from an FFP perspective or from a how much we bought him for vs sold him for. 

If you factor in how much we paid while he was here you could argue we have less money than we would have if we'd never bought him, but even then you're reaching.

He has spectacularly fallen out of favour in a short time though. 

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

El Ghazi , Trezegeut, Guilbert.

Grealish aside I don't think we make money off outgoing transfers.
We're a soft touch people - just accept it. It's fine to question it.

It's fine to question and I tend to agree generally.

But you are dying on a "Matt Targett is worth more than £12m-£15m" cross harrrrd mate. He isn't! He's average and incredibly inconsistent for us. £12m-£15m for a back-up player is a good deal.

Newcastle have themselves wor bargain (they are strapped for cash up there aren't they?), Matty will get what he wants and we will have £12m to use elsewhere. I was thinking they wouldn't go through with the deal, so although I would have liked £15m, I will take the £12m (for the reason below;)) and move on. 

I didn't think you'd Really charge me an arm & a leg! - Monty Python Black  Knight | Meme Generator

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Season before that he was our worst player, bar maybe Samatta. Season after his good one looked more like 2019-20.

His head drops and his peak is nowhere near Digne's.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think he is as good a football negotiator as he is a business negotiator. In fairness its not what he is trained for but I think its a weakness of his, not to say he cant improve

I think the Ings deal we probably could have got cheaper, also Digne as he wasnt getting in the Everton team. Coutinho he did well but Barca were happy to get anything they could for him

Benitez was sacked 3 days after we signed Digne. If we’d have haggled for less he would not be here. Purslow should be commended for the predatory approach taken during a short window of opportunity to secure a huge upgrade on what we had before for a relatively minimal outlay for a French international. 

• Like 1

Â