Matt Targett

villan-scott

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No , we'll just keep accepting duff offers for all our players, wouldn't want to show any kind of negotiating prowess.

Since NSWE and Purslow have come to Villa, how many players have we sold that were of any quality? What players do you think we should have held out for more money ?

43 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yes I do. He was largely a championship left back he basically became a PL player of the season under us. That constitutes a rapid rise in market value especially after a brilliant loan where fans are clamouring for him to be signed.

We overpay for players and we are an absolute soft touch when it comes to selling them and that's been an issue under all owners.

'Great price for a player we don't want or doesn't want to be here'

That's not the game. You play hard ball you hold your nerve.

We are so soft it's untrue. 

Did Bournemouth go "we bought him for 8m we don't want him and he doesn't want to be here. £8m and he's yours."

I cannot believe the positivity in this thread.

The club can do no wrong as long as they are chucking money I guess. I've seen it before with Lerner.

You say play hardball, what's to say we didn't? Targett was rubbish in 2019 and rubbish again in the second half of 2021.

He had one great season, played behind closed doors.

We agreed the fee in January, before he had a good second half a season. The fact is, 15m is decent business for an average left back that would otherwise have got cup games and the odd sub appearance for us.  We can't disguise that fact from any prospective buyer, and if Newcastle decided they didn't want him for an extra 12m on top of the loan fee, what's to say anyone else would have?

Been reading on VT for years from certain posters talking about how shit Targett is and we need to get rid of...  We replace him with a French international who one of the top LBs in the world not in a Champions League club and the same posters are losing their minds because we're selling Targett...  Can't make this up.

• Like 3

Just now, LondonVillian said:

seems strange to sell him and then buy another lb for next season when we just got digne 

At this point, I think this is more about Matty making up his mind to leave, if i'm honest.

Which is quite sad if i'm honest.

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Since NSWE and Purslow have come to Villa, how many players have we sold that were of any quality? What players do you think we should have held out for more money ?

Well the problem is not selling players at the peak or at all or getting poor fees. El Ghazi is now worthless when had good value last season and we have been done by Newcastle in this deal. We could easily have got 20 million for Targett in January if Purslow had negotiated as well he thinks he can

If remove the Grealish fee we have sold 7 players for fees and probably be lucky if it totals 20 million

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well the problem is not selling players at the peak or at all or getting poor fees. El Ghazi is now worthless when had good value last season and we have been done by Newcastle in this deal. We could easily have got 20 million for Targett in January if Purslow had negotiated as well he thinks he can

If remove the Grealish fee we have sold 7 players for fees and probably be lucky if it totals 20 million

20m for 7 players is fairly meaningless if the players are only worth 3m each. As regards could easily have got 20m in Jan, do you really think Purslow is that inexperienced and weak a negotiator?

as for selling players at their peak, yeah u may have a point, we potentially could have offloaded AEG and Trez earlier but the last few years have been difficult as a club as we needed players to keep us in the Prem and AEG and Trez proved crucial to our survival. Also, if nobody bids for them we can’t sell them

Heck of a fall from grace. A year ago roughly he was picking up one the player of the season awards here (can’t remember if it was fans or players version, I think the latter), now he can’t seem to want to get out more quickly and we seem eager to help it along.

Decent player, good value at that amount for Newcastle, I’d have happily had him here as backup to Digne (something we’d have found very useful over the past few months as Digne seems to be made of at least 50% glass) but he obviously doesn’t want that so off he goes.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

20m for 7 players is fairly meaningless if the players are only worth 3m each. As regards could easily have got 20m in Jan, do you really think Purslow is that inexperienced and weak a negotiator?

I dont think he is as good a football negotiator as he is a business negotiator. In fairness its not what he is trained for but I think its a weakness of his, not to say he cant improve

I think the Ings deal we probably could have got cheaper, also Digne as he wasnt getting in the Everton team. Coutinho he did well but Barca were happy to get anything they could for him

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

In the end the loan worked as well. No way are we selling Targett for a double digit fee if he had sat on the bench for the second half of the season. 

Steven didn't want Targett, not even as a backup. So getting him off the books at pretty much a break even price is job done. 

Not sure that’s true, there were quotes where it was Targett saying he didn’t want to be a backup 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If only @rodders0223 was in charge we'd be the richest team in the world with all the amazing deals he'd negotiate piss easy when selling our players.

Hard nosed street wise agents and other clubs commercial teams would be shaking in their boots when they heard old "Robbing Rodders" was on the phone and yearning for the good old days when those billionaires employed those soft touch people who would just roll over and accept any old offer.

Suprised Wes and Nassef haven't had to retire from the billionaires club, they must be hemorrhaging so much cash with the amateurs they employ. 

CA7CA0DF-4857-4EBA-A7DE-0558EBA7B56A.jpeg.0a9359ee2b6a0cc593f834e677b6d7e1.jpeg

• Haha 1

I always liked him, but if we're planning on rising we need players willing to fight for their place in the team. He seems to want a place set in stone and that simply won't do.

I'm not sure whether the fact he believes he has no chance of unseating Digne and taking his spot says more about Digne, or Targett.

9 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

I always liked him, but if we're planning on rising we need players willing to fight for their place in the team. He seems to want a place set in stone and that simply won't do.

I'm not sure whether the fact he believes he has no chance of unseating Digne and taking his spot says more about Digne, or Targett.

It definitely says more about Targett. As a professional footballer, especially at Premier League level, you need an elite mentality, an unwavering belief in yourself that you either are, or can be, the absolute best player. There are a few exceptions where it would be understandable for a footballer to conceed defeat in ousting another (I can't imagine the back ups to Messi and Ronaldo in their prime thought they had any chance of getting in ahead of them) but outside of that, you need squads where each player truly believes he is good enough to play. It seems to me like Targett already knows he can't reach Digne's levels, hence wanting to leave only weeks after his signing.

Â