Matt Targett

villan-scott

Deal makes sense to me. Targett won't play, very clear, not even given a chance since Digne signed. He didn't even get the chance to fight for his play, I just don't think Gerrard rates him. 

The loan probably makes sense to Targett, let's see if they stay up and it's much more palpable for the Newcastle fans to have a loan rather than a new signing with a release clause.

Well done Targett, good servant for the club, helped us establish ourselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Don’t get me wrong, I like Targett and would prefer he stays as back up for now, but FFS the Newcastle press really are over-hyping some of their signings under their new murderous regime:

His left foot is comparable to TAA's. Unfortunately that's his good foot.

1 minute ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Don’t get me wrong, I like Targett and would prefer he stays as back up for now, but FFS the Newcastle press really are over-hyping some of their signings under their new murderous regime:

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148868b7cma3fllvwwsk23u

gotta love that delusional thinking 

7 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Deal makes sense to me. Targett won't play, very clear, not even given a chance since Digne signed. He didn't even get the chance to fight for his play, I just don't think Gerrard rates him. 

The loan probably makes sense to Targett, let's see if they stay up and it's much more palpable for the Newcastle fans to have a loan rather than a new signing with a release clause.

Well done Targett, good servant for the club, helped us establish ourselves.

What part of it being a loan makes sense to Villa though?

Agree it's a great deal from Newcastle's perspective and perhaps Targetts for game time.

But he's not a young player we are hoping to develop, if he's surplus to requirements and/or not happy then surely it needs to be a sale.

Tbf to Newcastle that's a great signing. Getting a proven Premier League defender who doesn't get injured, has beaten the drop with us as is only out of favour due to a system change where full backs are primarily attacking players now. AND it's just a loan. 

Targett is a very good player when your team spends a lot of time defending and is great in a defensive back 4. He's the best signing Newcastle have made in helping them stay up along with Wood

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, penguin said:

What part of it being a loan makes sense to Villa though?

One of the many things of this deal that makes no sense

Really pissed off at purslow et al here

9 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

The word "can" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. I'm sure I "can" score a goal in the Premier League in theory, doesn't mean I'm ever going to.

At any rate, it'd be a shame to see him leave as he'd be quality cover. I don't blame him if that's not what he wants, though. It's just a shame he's going there of all places.

I understand if the player wants to go he might as well go. Target has been a good servant to villa .

what I don’t understand is why we have made it so easy for Newcastle who are up  ##### creek with no padel and throwing money away like no tomorrow to attempt to stay in the division . It make our bargaining position stronger , we should have insisted on a  reasonable fee . Really strange business this !  
if Chris Wood is worth £25 mill Targett has to be around the same figure to a desperate very wealthier club….

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So you think Matt Targett will be the difference between Newcastle getting relegated or staying up? I really think you may be overstating his ability there.

If Newcastle avoid relegation I’d suggest Targett will play a minor part in that.

A minor part, true, but not zero part. He's a mid-table left back and they're a desperate relegation-threatened team. If he helps stabilize them how he helped stabilize us, they will not be complaining.

Granted, it's only a loan, but if he leaves permanently, this is another deal that will be interesting to re-evaluate a year from now. Was last year's good performance the fluke or was this year bad performance the fluke?

Just reflecting on Matty Targett and trying to work out why he stopped attacking like he used to. I know his understanding with Jack was a big part of his success last season but it showed he has the ability regardless. Passing and shooting are decent, he can be tough tackling too but this season he seems to have lost some bravery and confidence getting forward and trying to make things happen. I hope he finds himself again though, he's a really great and honest guy. I wish him all the best. 

Just now, birdman said:

Just reflecting on Matty Targett and trying to work out why he stopped attacking like he used to. I know his understanding with Jack was a big part of his success last season but it showed he has the ability regardless. Passing and shooting are decent, he can be tough tackling too but this season he seems to have lost some bravery and confidence getting forward and trying to make things happen. I hope he finds himself again though, he's a really great and honest guy. I wish him all the best. 

Genuine question--do you know him?

Just now, birdman said:

I hope he helps his new club into the championship

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Are we expecting a local publication to say: " Reject ginger Aston Villa left back who lost place to flying Frenchman is here because we can't get anybody else " ? lol

Bigging up is par for the course.

Furthermore, imagine if he actually does well? not beyond the realms of reality.

Â