Matt Targett

villan-scott

As previously suggested, it seems he doesn’t want to fight for a place with Digne and instead wants to guarantee playing time, which to a degree is understandable however to go from POTS to not wanting to fight for your place is a bit odd and a bit of a cop out if it is the case. 

That said, the club needs to prioritise the club, and we’re now a lot weaker in that position should Digne get injured. Even if he kicked up a fuss, if we aren’t able to get Aaron Hickey over the line before the end of the night we really shouldn’t be letting him go. (EDIT: he’s gone, and we aren’t bringing anybody else in). Perhaps Gerrard doesn’t want somebody who doesn’t want to be here and fight for their place, but regardless it makes little sense to weaken ourselves. 

Also none of us should care what he brings for Newcastle or how they benefit from it, at the end of the day it leaves us worse off no matter how you look at it.

Edited by samjp26

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Obviously management feel different, or might have something else lined up.

We just have to trust their judgement.

FYI, I didn't want him to go either. But I reckon he wanted to go.

EDIT: Ming's used to be a Left Back

And there’s a reason he’s not any more.

Regardless, if we have to pull our captain and best CB out of the centre of defence to cover the fact we pointlessly loaned out Matt Targett - it’s even more idiotic than I thought. 

i do find it strange that our backup left back has been allowed to go out on loan, without getting another LB in.

I know Young can do it on paper, but it doesnt fill me with confidence.

Fingers crossed Digne doesnt get yeeted against Leeds.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why in earth can't anyone confirm what the Loan fee is ffs. 

There probably isn't one.

When Newcastle stay up send Targett back and beat us to all of our summer signings we will be a laughing stock.

3 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

As previously suggested, it seems he doesn’t want to fight for a place with Digne and instead wants to guarantee playing time, which to a degree is understandable however to go from POTS to not wanting to fight for your place is a bit odd and a bit of a cop out if it is the case. 

That said, the club needs to prioritise the club, and we’re now a lot weaker in that position should Digne get injured. Even if he kicked up a fuss, if we aren’t able to get Aaron Hickey over the line before the end of the night we really shouldn’t be letting him go. (EDIT: he’s gone, and we aren’t bringing anybody else in). Perhaps Gerrard doesn’t want somebody who doesn’t want to be here and fight for their place, but regardless it makes little sense to weaken ourselves. 

Also none of us should care what he brings for Newcastle or how they benefit from it, at the end of the day it leaves us worse off no matter how you look at it.

Why are people making up that he doesn't want to fight for his place? A team came in for him and we clearly found the offer acceptable and it was up to Targett if he wanted to go and play every game at Newcastle or stay and fight for his place.

I think Targett is smart enough to realise the issue is the change in system under Gerrard that doesn't play to his strengths. The same thing that led to Digne joining us, the system at Everton prioritised defence for full backs over attack.

The system has changed and Targett knows he's suited to a system with wide players ahead of him to do the attacking and he is prioritised defending. That's it.

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

In terms of 'helping' Newcastle, we probably need to stop worrying about what other teams do. Worry about ourselves. 

Even if we were loaning him to Burnley, it’s a strange decision.

Doesn’t seem to be a loan fee? Or obligation to buy?

It’s not like he needs game time to develop, he’s 26. All it does is make our squad depth worse. 

I do not get this at all if we have not received a decent loan fee and if there isn’t an obligation to buy. He isn’t one for the future he was pretty much an ever present for a couple of seasons until Digne came in. 

Don't understand this at the minute. Don't care if he wants to play football - he signed a contract and it's up to us what we do with him. If Digne gets injured, we are light here. I also don't understand why we haven't sold him but rather loaned him? They desperately needed reinforcements and we have given them a free hit. No guarantee we will sell him in the summer.  It would be great if we could offload him - either now or in the summer - and bring Hickey in as back up. I have nothing against him - I just don't think he suits "Stevie G ball".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Even if we were loaning him to Burnley, it’s a strange decision.

Doesn’t seem to be a loan fee? Or obligation to buy?

It’s not like he needs game time to develop, he’s 26. All it does is make our squad depth worse. 

there will be some sort of loan fee, its just isnt mentioned for whatever reason.

Bearing in mind that the fee can be anything from covering X% of the wages, to covering wages and additional fees etc.

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

When Newcastle stay up send Targett back and beat us to all of our summer signings we will be a laughing stock.

There is no chance we are not getting a loan fee. It's a certainty we are. Assume we've agreed not to disclose and Newcastle probably won't either.

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

The day's of Aston Villa being anyones laughing stock is long gone my friend.

• Like 1

Â