Matt Targett

villan-scott

Has anything Villa side said we will loan him out?  Just listening on the Radio it says Eddie Howe is confident of getting a deal done.  They were confident of getting a deal done for  Linguard.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just think it would be a harsh way to treat a player that has done good for us but is no longer required. 

Just my opinion. 

I know what you're getting at, but would it be that unfair to ask him to cover until the summer then we'll let him go?

I fail to see any benefit outside of a couple of million quid of us loaning him out unless we sign a replacement today. And it is a balancing act protecting the club's interest as well as player's.

We showed with Martinez and the Argentina stuff (as well as his dad) that we're not looking to cut off our noses to spite our face, but everything has to have a line in the sand somewhere. As Zatman said, in this case it could be telling him if he wants to leave to hand in a transfer request and get his agent to work on Newcastle. But that would mean the player losing out on a loyalty bonus...

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

It’s not like he’s been bombed out for years, it’s been two games. Villa comes first and we need a squad, so I don’t think asking a guy who we’ve established as a premier league player to flight for his place and provide backup for 6 months would be harsh treatment.

Not even 6, it's only 3 and half months. 

• Like 1

Newcastle will probably stay up, with or without Targett. 

The guy has been bang average/poor this year so it's not like they're getting an in-form player. 

If the loan-fee helps us pull off a permanent deal for Hickey and perhaps a quality DM then so be it. 

With Saint-Maximin on the left, Targett will be exposed. He's not that good. 

• Thanks 1

So if this is a Loan with obligation to buy it makes sense to us as he can't play against us and we can book the sale as part of next years accounts. I think this is the only way t makes sense to me. 5m loan fee and obligation to buy in summer for 20 mil. That is good business if that's what comes out

• Like 2

Good to move him on, we'll get a few million now in a loan fee and then a full transfer fee in the summer when they take the option to buy him. I assume they will sign him whether they stay up or go down. Digne is much better than him and we should get rid of him while he's worth something. 

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

If it’s a loan with an obligation to buy in the summer at an above market rate fee, it makes sense. They’ll stay up anyway, if we can make a profit on Targett then it’s very good business. 

Is it obligation or optional?

3 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Newcastle will probably stay up, with or without Targett. 

The guy has been bang average/poor this year so it's not like they're getting an in-form player. 

If the loan-fee helps us pull off a permanent deal for Hickey and perhaps a quality DM then so be it. 

With Saint-Maximin on the left, Targett will be exposed. He's not that good. 

He is good without fans.

I just think he is one of those who can't mentally cope well with the pressure that comes with fans back.

And Newcastle fans are one of the most intense crowds in England.

We have no idea what has been discussed, or observed by SG, behind the scenes. 

All we know is that there are rumours of one player going out on loan for 17 games after we have just signed a player in his position for a sh*tload of money. 

Gerrard has made a big deal of wanting a squad for competition - so assumedly he sees Young (or maybe even Hause/) slotting in at LB if needs be for cover for the next 17 games if Digne gets injured or banned.  Targett has had a pretty terrible season this year, and if he is under the impression he's not fancied from here, then fair play to him for wanting to go out and keep his career going.  I'll always appreciate him for his efforts whilst with us, but his end product has never been great, and he was extremely fortunate to be on the same side as a bloke who had two people marking him every game before this year.

21 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Can't believe the club are doing deals with people that think it's ok to chop people's heads off.

I hope the nominal loan fee was worth it.

When it comes to chopping heads off, I suggest you have a look at Britain's history. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I think the loan was probably something Targett wants so if they go down he's not committed to signing for a championship club. Yes we could say no and demand a fee, but similarly if there's only one interested club and it's deadline day then our hands are tied a bit.

I appreciate that, but in that case I suppose my query would be, why should we let him go there at all? 

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I appreciate that, but in that case I suppose my query would be, why should we let him go there at all? 

I completely agree mate, I don't think he should be going out on any form of deal unless we have another left back coming in.

That said, maybe Gerrard is happy with Young as back up for three and a half months and we look to bring another left back in during the summer.

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Good to move him on, we'll get a few million now in a loan fee and then a full transfer fee in the summer when they take the option to buy him. I assume they will sign him whether they stay up or go down. Digne is much better than him and we should get rid of him while he's worth something. 

Would’ve thought if they stay up they’ll be going after higher calibre players than Targett (with all due respect to him). There’s a big difference in quality between Targett and Trippier for example. I reckon they’re just trying to get him in as a stop gap to help keep them up and no more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bose said:

Poor deal from us, makes no sense. Understand that Targett wants to play but a loan deal is not at all in our interest.

Will sadly be a good signing for Newcastle

I wouldn't be too sure about the good signing for them part. His biggest struggles have come in front of intense crowds with no defensive cover in front of him. The Newcastle fans can be ruthless and Sain-Maximin won't help him out defensively.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Is it obligation or optional?

Nobody knows if any of that is involved. I hope there is. We may just be loaning him because they're paying a big loan fee and a bonus if they stay up.

19 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Has anything Villa side said we will loan him out?  Just listening on the Radio it says Eddie Howe is confident of getting a deal done.  They were confident of getting a deal done for  Linguard.

SSN have already shown a video clip of him arriving for a medical.

Â