Matt Targett

villan-scott

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Obviously mamagent feel different, or might have something else lined up.

We just have to trust their judgement.

FYI, I didn't want him to go either. But I reckon he wanted to go.

Targett is a bit of a Man Magnet.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 1

Ashley Preece has savaged Targett:

"A little over a fortnight since Steven Gerrard spent £25million on Lucas Digne and Matt Targett's chosen to walk out of Aston Villa in a bid for regular game time up at Newcastle.

Just nine months ago, Targett signed a new and improved four-year deal at Villa Park after being named players' player of the year. Less than three months into Gerrard's reign and he's gone."

Have to say it is a bit weak willed, maybe he is the bottler some had him down as in his first season. Its a no win though, go down and he's coming back, stay up and he's coming back as they will be buying far better.

• Like 1

Still don't believe he'll be going out on a straight loan unless we actually need the fee / saved wages for FFP wiggle room to make another signing, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. I'll reserve judgement until the details come out.

I see no benefit to loaning him to Newcastle unless they are paying a massive (£5m ish) loan fee. If they stay up then they’ll be shopping in a much higher market, if they go down he might not want to play in The Championship again. 

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Still don't believe he'll be going out on a straight loan unless we actually need the fee / saved wages for FFP wiggle room to make another signing, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. I'll reserve judgement until the details come out.

Absolutely.   My gut feeling is this is has to be a deal where the terms favour Villa as Newcastle need players and don't have a lot of time.  I'm not sure what a typical loan fee is for six months, but that plus survival bonus plus wages being off the books plus potential permanent deal  probably make a lot of sense for Villa if Gerrard has said he has no plans for Targett in the first XI this season.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Ashley Preece has savaged Targett:

"A little over a fortnight since Steven Gerrard spent £25million on Lucas Digne and Matt Targett's chosen to walk out of Aston Villa in a bid for regular game time up at Newcastle.

Just nine months ago, Targett signed a new and improved four-year deal at Villa Park after being named players' player of the year. Less than three months into Gerrard's reign and he's gone."

Have to say it is a bit weak willed, maybe he is the bottler some had him down as in his first season. Its a no win though, go down and he's coming back, stay up and he's coming back as they will be buying far better.

If he sits on our bench for the next 4-5 months his value drops. At least this way he is playing and regardless of what Newcastle decide he should hopefully be worth more in the summer after playing regularly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, penguin said:

What part of it being a loan makes sense to Villa though?

Agree it's a great deal from Newcastle's perspective and perhaps Targetts for game time.

But he's not a young player we are hoping to develop, if he's surplus to requirements and/or not happy then surely it needs to be a sale.

A couple of things I suppose. 

1. He's in the shop window, our price in the summer is likely to be better for a player that is in demand/has contributed towards a team staying up (if it happens). If he spends 6 months on our bench, we clearoy don't want him, that may impact a sale price.

2. We may not have anyone trying to buy him right now, a loan helps get wages off the book.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Player wants to play. Crazy, that.

My thoughts exactly. I don’t buy into the fight for your place nonsense there’s no way he gets ahead of Digne and he’s not stupid. He’s played 2 full seasons starting in the league and he’s not a youth player. If he wants to play football then let him go 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Perhaps he just wants to play football. 

Too many footballers are happy to sit on the bench and pick up their money. 

Â