Matt Targett

villan-scott

I think we will only let Targett go if we get a replacement in. Seems as though the news has probably come from the other end that they're in negotiations with us because we're usually extremely very good at keeping these things quiet. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Clearly been displaced by a better player.

No doubt wants first team football, may have spat his dummy out around being dropped, no doubt Newcastle will be covering his wages. Either he goes permanently in the summer or comes back to fight for a place next season.

What other benefits are people looking for out of this? 

Something other than Newcastle paying his wages? Which I think the benefit for is outweighed by helping a club stay up who will likely be competing for the same players we want to sign for the foreseeable. I'm really struggling to see much benefit in this deal to us.

Loaning makes 0 sense to me, outside of obligations to buy or to develop young players. This is apparently neither, they want him we should have made them pay for him - They paid £25m for a 30 year old Chris Wood...

There’s bound to be some logic in what we’re doing here hidden in the detail of the deal. Maybe it’s FFP related and will give us more room next summer or something. Between Purslow, Lange, and SG - they’re not going to sanction a deal that is not in the club’s best interests even if that means helping a future rival stay up (which it might not). They’ve demonstrated that repeatedly imho.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I take it you can't look past the end of this season and the ramifications of a team like Newcastle staying up and the potential that has for **** our chances up of progress. Do you not remember 2008 when man city effectively did that? It's possible while not certain it will happen again. If the top 6 cartel become 7 we have no **** hope do we.

So you think Matt Targett will be the difference between Newcastle getting relegated or staying up? I really think you may be overstating his ability there.

If Newcastle avoid relegation I’d suggest Targett will play a minor part in that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So you think Matt Targett will be the difference between Newcastle getting relegated or staying up? I really think you may be overstating his ability there.

If Newcastle avoid relegation I’d suggest Targett will play a minor part in that.

Forget "will be", it's "could be". No one is trying to predict the future and, as much as some would like to, it's impossible to individually proportion impact on games. It's simply a risk v reward judgement - are we getting enough from loaning him out to take the risk he does play a key part in them staying up?

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

They have been playing Matt Ritchie left back this season with the occasional Paul Dummet to spice things up.

Targett is a major upgrade.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

They have been playing Matt Ritchie left back this season with the occasional Paul Dummet to spice things up.

What's happened to Lewis, does he just not play for them anymore?

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

You say that but Newcastle Twitter fans were arguing that Ritchie is a better player than Digne when we made that transfer so, according to some of them this would be Ritchie’s backup lol.

11 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Not too sure to be honest.

Believe he's injured currently but it looks like he isn't rated at all from anything I have seen from their fans and it's rumoured he'll be off once Targett is confirmed.

12 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Been pretty bad since his move. Considering his age at the time he should probably have picked a club with a better coaching team as he didn't develop at all under Bruce.

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

I take it you can't look past the end of this season and the ramifications of a team like Newcastle staying up and the potential that has for **** our chances up of progress. Do you not remember 2008 when man city effectively did that? It's possible while not certain it will happen again. If the top 6 cartel become 7 we have no **** hope do we.

We’re actually better off if all 20 teams had a fighting chance of getting top 4, it would unlock the status quo potentially. 

I don’t want to help Newcastle but I do want to help ourselves and if that means compromising a bit then so be it. Targett is clearly second choice now and he’s been largely poor this season starting off with his horror showing in the first half of the first game. 

I don’t have much issue with him going out on loan, assuming that we’re savvy enough to insert a recall clause if Digne picks up a bad injury, if Newcastle are the only viable option then so be it.

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

I don't see why we are doing this - we need two good players in every position. 

Mourinho said this at his first stint as chavski manager. Despite all their money, it didn't work as players seem to be too thin skinned and their egoes can't take being displaced from the first team.....so loads went out on loan or moved on.

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

I don't see why we are doing this - we need two good players in every position. 

Maybe Gerrard is happy with Young as backup there until the summer. I'd rather keep Targett, but to be fair at least we do have another option if Digne isn't available.

• Like 1

Â