Matt Targett

villan-scott

He’s the third or fourth player we have in terms of technical ability. Behind Grealish, Luiz and possibly McGinn. The way he pass and deliver attacks is not usual from a defender or a full back. I think as some mentioned we shouldn’t spend much, we might find a young gem who will compete with him. RB is the one we should be looking at first, even then I don’t think spending much money in those positions is a wise move. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Yep, his technical ability is seriously underrated.

I don't think it is at all.

The issue is that at times he's been as soft as puppy poo.

Had a good end of season I think. Seemed to miraculously start winning headers from somewhere. That was a treat.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Seemed to be growing into his role. Scored a couple of important goals last year, I am thinking the winner at home v Brighton and the first goal v Leicester in the League Cup Semi Final.

There was that video doing the rounds also where he'd have had at least four more assists if El Ghazi could hit a barn door.

Needs proper competition for his place and that’s why I welcome the links to Rico Henry. We need players pushing the first XI. He had a solid first season in a struggling team and will hopefully now push on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to put this out there... How is Targett not in the England squad this time around?

I get he's not going to be first choice, or even second choice... but we literally haven't got a left back in the squad.

Baffling.

• Like 3

We don't need to worry about left backs this transfer window.

Targett is absolutely fine. In fact I'd say he's one of our better players.

And as much as I dislike Neil Taylor, he's good enough that we can shift our priorities elsewhere.

Far bigger fish to fry than this position.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Completely agree real lack of bottle from him and AEG, both need to grow a pair this season if they do they will both be much improved.

It's quite easy to forget that last season was Targett's first full season in the Premier League as a starting left back. 

Previously he's been a bit part player for Southampton, with 13 appearances being the most in a season and some of those being from the bench.

I'm pretty sure he'll be a good player for us and will show his worth next season with a bit of confidence behind him.

• Like 3

I've said it before, but he's literally the only player in the team who ever links up with Grealish regulalry and effectively. Nobody else appears on Grealish's wavelength at any sort of regularity, except Targett.

As a fullback on grealish's side, it's very valuable.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've said it before, but he's literally the only player in the team who ever links up with Grealish regulalry and effectively. Nobody else appears on Grealish's wavelength at any sort of regularity, except Targett.

As a fullback on grealish's side, it's very valuable.

Yep it’s true he and Jack link up very well together. Jack knew him from his time at England U21s and was excited when he joined. Wonder if there is anyone else from that side who could join (I genuinely don’t have a clue who was playing back then). But with Tammy previously, players Jack gets on with, do well here.

Can't believe some of the stick target gets, he's a modern day left back, might not be the greatest going back defending but the quality going forward and crossing ability is very good for where we're at a the moment. The problem has been when he goes forwards he's not getting the cover from team mates. 

• Like 1

Â