Matt Targett

villan-scott

I like Targett a lot. Provides good balance. Wouldn't mind us signing someone to give him some competition, or it would be good if we actually had a decent academy player to step in when Targett's injured. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I prefer the good old days when all our players were shite. Could sleep easy then knowing the next 4 years of their contact were mapped out. No surprises. No sleepless nights.

Our main problem over the last 4 years has been how the hell do we offload players 😀😀

There are a number of players who, for mine, looked good after lockdown: Luiz, Konsa, McGinn and Targett.

Now Targett didn't stand out compared to Luiz and Konsa - but that is because he wasn't bad pre-lockdown. What I did see, though, is a better defensive display from Targett.

I wouldn't entertain thoughts of selling him. He'll get better yet, imo

• Like 1

Not surprised Leicester are after him. Hes as good if not better than Chilwell imo. As has been said, he put it on a plate for our forwards numerous times last season and i wouldnt be getting rid of a player who perfectly compliments our talisman (isnt it the idea that we need to get more of these players around Grealish not less?) The left side kept us up at times last season and I wouldnt entertain the idea of selling him.

Edited by villanmac

12 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Just because they say Leicester are in for him doesn't mean Leicester are in for him. 

That is the nail on the head. About 5% of all quoted transfer rumours are probably based on fact, the other 95% generally tend to be bollocks But we lap it up none the less

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramshackler said:

He's excellent going forward, decent defensively, however he is soft as #@*#!

Several times this year he has gone off with minor knocks but back the next game.

Still comfortably our best left back in years

Maybe the reason that he is back the next game is that he goes off with the knock as opposed to playing on and worsening it and thus missing more time?

• Like 1

I like targett, absolutely not one of our problem positions (apart from his back up/competition)

Personally I would buy another LB as competition to targett, just because i think taylor is terrible.

Cash/guilbert and targett/new LB would he ideal for competition imo.

• Like 1

Goes without saying that players that do well will gather interest from other clubs. 

What I find amusing is how the papers and Leicester fans think he's available for far less than what we paid. 

If he's done well enough to gather interest, the price would be MORE than what we paid, not less. So take the £ 12-14 million and suck it. £ 30 million thanks. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Maybe the reason that he is back the next game is that he goes off with the knock as opposed to playing on and worsening it and thus missing more time?

No, agreed just pointing out we need good back up with him as first choice as he does have a tendency to pick up knocks more than most

• Like 1

Targett is more than adequate for us right now. He suffered defensively because he got absolutely zero cover from Jack pre-lockdown. Jack goes everywhere looking for the ball and Targett is left 1 v 2 against opposition right backs and wingers. First game v Leicester at Villa Park proved that when Ricardo - their right back - got MOTM. 

Dean Smith saw it game in game out where you could see him shouting at Jack to get back into position. If he keeps playing Jack wide left, which Jack doesn't like, we will constantly be exposed down that side. We need a solid left-sided forward who does the defensive part as well. Or, change to having 5 at the back with Targett having that cover on his side. 

Â