Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How about minutes played?

Fairly relevant stat

Majority of Davis "games" has come off the bench

Which is exactly the point people are making. Big him up all you like with other but the facts are, if he was really that good he'd have far more minutes. 

3 years 2 goals. 5 career goals in 5 years. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Which is exactly the point people are making. Big him up all you like with other but the facts are, if he was really that good he'd have far more minutes. 

3 years 2 goals. 5 career goals in 5 years. 

It says everything that Henri Lansbury (257 mins) whose contract has been terminated has played more first team football this season than Davis (255 mins).

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Oh I remember. Cause we created plenty chances. We just had a shit striker so we never scored enough.

So we were actually poor, but it was just Wesley's fault. Got it.

What's Davis' excuse for scoring just 2 goals in a team that scored 72? James Chester scored more than him that season.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What's Davis' excuse for scoring just 2 goals in a team that scored 72? James Chester scored more than him that season.

The argument that any striker would struggle for goals in that team threw me a bit as well. Didn’t Adomah score double figures by Christmas?  I do think Davis played his part that year though. He was a handful in several games. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The argument that any striker would struggle for goals in that team threw me a bit as well. Didn’t Adomah score double figures by Christmas?  I do think Davis played his part that year though. He was a handful in several games. 

Yeah we were the 3rd highest scorers in the league. Even Bjarnason scored more than Davis with less minutes and he was pants (and a midfielder!)

He was definitely very useful for our style. Certainly better than when we were using Hogan as a targetman and getting walloped by the likes of Reading and Cardiff early in the season. But a goal scorer he was not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Hogan even got 6 that season 

• Like 1

In the the 2017/18 season Davis was just nineteen, the same age as Archer and Philogene-Bidace are now, and whilst he didn't score many he was also very unlucky that season with hitting the post a lot, and keepers making very good saves to deny him, in terms of minutes on the pitch he played just over sixteen and a half games worth of football, scored twice and assisted four, which wasn't a bad contribution considering his age and lack of experience, he was probably one of our best players that season, and helped the team a lot before Grealish return to fitness.

Difference between him and Wesely is that I think Davis is probably the better all round footballer, whilst Wesely is more likely to score goals, but I'm sure Davis' goals record would improve given more game time, that is more of a run in a team rather than the odd ten minutes here and there, and I'm sure that Wesley will improve too in a better team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty weird thing to bring up, and while I don't know what similar posters actually mean, Traore hasn't been the right winger we needed. So those posters were proven partly right.

Traore has by all means been better than expected and is a very useful squad player, but he's definitely not the direct pacy winger we're lacking. We've basically bought a CAM and placed him out wide.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

In the the 2017/18 season Davis was just nineteen, the same age as Archer and Philogene-Bidace are now, and whilst he didn't score many he was also very unlucky that season with hitting the post a lot, and keepers making very good saves to deny him, in terms of minutes on the pitch he played just over sixteen and a half games worth of football, scored twice and assisted four, which wasn't a bad contribution considering his age and lack of experience, he was probably one of our best players that season, and helped the team a lot before Grealish return to fitness.

Difference between him and Wesely is that I think Davis is probably the better all round footballer, whilst Wesely is more likely to score goals, but I'm sure Davis' goals record would improve given more game time, that is more of a run in a team rather than the odd ten minutes here and there, and I'm sure that Wesley will improve too in a better team.

Yeah I’ve never seen him scuff a shot o miss hit one, it’s always a narrow miss the post or a good save as you say

Wes is clearly a far better footballer than Davis, surely that is not even debatable.  Even in half a season he has scored more goals than Davis has in his entire career. Davis is not good enough to start for us. Wes has had 1 full cap for Brazil, Davis has not gone before U20 appearances for England. Keinan has worked hard and seems a nice fella but he is clearly never going to make it at the top level whereas Wes might if he recovers from his nasty injury. Davis could make  a decent career of it down the divisions and I would wish him well on that but if we want to be a regular top 10 premier league side brining on Keinan for the last 10 is not going to work for either us or him.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The exact opposite of this is true.

We finished 4th that season under Bruce. 3rd highest scorers in the league. We had that league's equivalents of Salah and Mane who had 40 goal contributions in 40 games between them as well as a certain Jack Grealish. Davis made by far the most appearances of any of our center forwards that season and he still only had 2 goals to his name.

Wesley played in a team that eventually stayed up on the final day of the season and finished 17th, who by the time he got injured at Burnley had won just 6 in 21 and just climbed out of the relegation zone for the first time in 4 weeks with that win. Villa were never higher than 15th in the table, and that was on the opening week of the season. 

funny that Josh Onomah that was highly disliked was joint highest scorer that season along with Adomah. The omah power.

edit: according to wikipedia that is ;)

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

Even the age argument isn't exactly a valid point since there's only 1 year age difference between Davis and Wesley. Add that to the fact that Wesley was new to the country last year and playing in a much tougher league. I mean all these arguments have already been made I suppose. C'mon it's quite clear that Wesley is the better footballer surely?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

C'mon it's quite clear that Wesley is the better footballer surely?

I can't see a valid argument to suggest otherwise.

The question I have is, will Wesley be a better footballer following his injury? 

Just now, Mic09 said:

I can't see a valid argument to suggest otherwise.

The question I have is, will Wesley be a better footballer following his injury? 

I think he's still acres more useful than Davis even if he's just the same player he was let alone better

1 hour ago, useless said:

he was probably one of our best players that season,

This is just not true! Sorry but he wasn’t even close!  We had to go and get Grabban in January.

Â