Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, useless said:

but I'm sure Davis' goals record would improve given more game time, that is more of a run in a team rather than the odd ten minutes here and there

No evidence of that at all.  

Not with history, not with play.

He doesn’t get into the scoring positions and when he has chances he doesn’t take them.  We can have a good discussion about his hold up play but the goal scoring isn’t they now or in history.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

There is no-one I want to succeed more than Wes. Hope his comeback is absolutely immense - both for him and, of course, for us.

Best post i've read here...

Give Wesley some love folks, a young man gets a move to a PL club with a massive price-tag around his neck.

He still manages 5 goals, one assist in 21 games. I'm sure without his injury he would have grown into the team and improved. I bet he would have double figures if he remained fit last season.

For those criticising Wesley; where would we be without his goals? In the Championship.

It's the same with people criticising Trezeguet, he was immense after 'Project Restart' and saved us practically single-handedly; again without his goals where would AVFC be?

Again I see criticism of Traore and ask you where would we be without his 5 goals, 3 assists in 24 games? Perhaps a relegation scrap?

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, useless said:

You're allowed to think that both Davis and Wesley are both good footballers, and both have scope to improve, don't have to pit one against the other.

most definitely. I just don't think Davis is a good footballer but we can disagree on that one without involving Wesley ;).

to be a little fair on Davis though he sure has scope to improve and I really hope that he does.

Edited by osmark86

Davis is a very good footballer, what he hasn't been very good at up until now is scoring goals, but it's hard to judge him on that because he's hardly had a run in the side, with the exception of when he first broke through, but can't judge him on that as he was just nineteen. If Davis was as bad as some are making out, Smith wouldn't have kept him around in the squad, it's not like he's there because we hav no choice, it's because Smith and the other coaches rate him, even if he's not scoring goals, he still brings a lot to the team.

Also not sure where people are getting their data from with regards to his goal scoring record for the U23s, but I'm pretty sure it's inaccurate, he was never as prolific as Hepburn-Murphy, but I remember him scoring more goals at that level than has been suggested. Again he was obviously doing something right at that level to break through into our first team, which isn't easy from the U23s.

Wonder if he's travelled to Newcastle. Musn't be far off making the bench if he's back in full first team training and while I wouldn't expect him to feature in the next two would be nice to get him involved again in the matchday routine.

Would also you'd hope give Davis a kick up the backside knowing there's another striker on the bench who'd be very likely to come on before him in games once he's 100% fit.

Davis actually started 4 of the first 5 games after lockdown v Sheffield United, Chelsea, Wolves and Liverpool so that was his chance to stake his claim.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Davis is a very good footballer, what he hasn't been very good at up until now is scoring goals, but it's hard to judge him on that because he's hardly had a run in the side, with the exception of when he first broke through, but can't judge him on that as he was just nineteen. If Davis was as bad as some are making out, Smith wouldn't have kept him around in the squad, it's not like he's there because we hav no choice, it's because Smith and the other coaches rate him, even if he's not scoring goals, he still brings a lot to the team.

So why does he get no game time?

Why has Henri Lansbury had more game time this season than Davis? and Lansbury contract was terminated.

He’s cheap! Doesn’t complain! Is why we keep him around.  To cover until Wes comes back and we missed out on a striker that we were after that we’ve talked about in other threads.  

The fact that Smith doesn’t play him says everything even when we’ve needed something different/extra in these last couple of months of poor form.

A lot of my frustration with last seasons transfers and what looked like sending us down, were focused on Wes. Its not his fault we made him our only striker so I feel pretty shitty that I got so annoyed with him. 

I am looking forward to his return but as others have said, I'm not sure he's the level we are now aspiring to reach. Definitely a better option than Davis for the remainder of the season. 

The slate is clean, so hopefully with a bit of patience he can come good for the end of the season.

• Like 1

He gets no game time because Watkins is a better player, and hasn't had any injuries, if Watkins was to get injured today, and presuming that Wesley isn't ready yet, then Davis would be straight into the first team. Lansbury only played for us this season in the EFL cup, he wasn't even named in our 25 man squad, so not sure why he's being brought into it.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

He gets no game time because Watkins is a better player, and hasn't had any injuries, if Watkins was to get injured today, and presuming that Wesley isn't ready yet, then Davis would be straight into the first team. 

If Watkins was out I bet that ElGhazi or Traore would play up front. 

I bet they wouldn't.

If Davis was seen as being behind Traore, and El Ghazi as a centre-forward option then we wouldn't even bother naming on our bench, in fact he'd probably be out on loan, or going one step further we wouldn't have given him a three year contract less than a year ago.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

He gets no game time because Watkins is a better player, and hasn't had any injuries, if Watkins was to get injured today, and presuming that Wesley isn't ready yet, then Davis would be straight into the first team. Lansbury only played for us this season in the EFL cup, he wasn't even named in our 25 man squad, so not sure why he's being brought into it.

So your saying at no time should Davis have been brought on when we are losing?  We have an awful record from coming from behind this season and yet our one back up striker can’t get on the pitch.  

It doesn’t have to be in replacement of Ollie but when we are down and struggling to score is Davis not a good enough option to throw on and help Ollie.  Seems like Smith and management think he’s not worth it.

As for the comparison re Lansbury, he had 257 minutes despite us having options in midfield yet the club terminated his contract.  He got more minutes, although not wanted than Davis (255 mins) who only one of our two available strikers.  Just says everything really.  By far one of our least used squad players in a position that is under resourced at the moment....again says everything.

It doesn't say anything at all, you've obviously got some weird vandetta against Davis, no one can give him the slightest bit of praise without you jumping on it.

Davis was named in our 25 man squad and Lansbury wasn't, Lansbury has been let go, whereas Davis has just been given a three year contract, if Watkins gets injured Davis comes straight into the first team, Lansbury plays in midfield, a position in which there are three spaces on the pitch to fill, whereas Davis is battling for just one position; claiming that Lansbury is more valued because he's played more minutes than Davis is as ridiculous as saying that Lansbury is more valued than Heaton.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I bet they wouldn't.

If Davis was seen as being behind Traore, and El Ghazi as a centre-forward option then we wouldn't even bother naming on our bench, in fact he'd probably be out on loan, or going one step further we wouldn't have given him a three year contract less than a year ago.

Mate your being disingenuous here because he’s cheap, doesn’t complain, we are waiting for Wes to come back and we did try to buy another striker...why would you not keep him around until we know how Wes comes back and this summer after a good league position to buy a good striker.  

As for a three year contract, because otherwise we wouldn’t get a fee if we let him go for free.  We are still a business and to confirm this, why is it only a three year contract when all our other extensions for other players are longer.  So we can have another season (this season) and then sell for a good profit with two years left on the contract after, as per the paragraph above, is sorted.

You're the one that's being disingenuous, you haven't got a clue whether we tried to sign another striker or not, season began in September, it's now March, we knew that Wesley would be out for most of the season, and that when he does return it's likely to be a while before he's match fit, yet Davis was deemed good enough for back up, we're an ambitious premier league side, we aren't going to keep a player around just because they're 'cheap', he's been kept around because Smith rates him.

Also we let Doyle-Hayles, Hepburn-Murphy, Green and Sarkic all leave on free transfers, if we only gave Davis a three year contract so we could get a fee for him, then he wouldn't be here now, he'd be out on loan.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

It doesn't say anything at all, you've obviously got some weird vandetta against Davis, no one can give him the slightest bit of praise without you jumping on it.

Fair! Can’t argue that

Just bizarre people arguments for Davis.  It’s like arguing for Taylor over Targett, Lansbury for Luiz.

As for the Henri comparison, Lansbury (non-squad player) still has more minutes than a player, Davis, named in the squad.  As for midfield, we had Luiz, McGinn, Barkley, Conor, Ramsey, Nakamba and even Grealish but still got more minutes so 3 positions for 7 players compared to 1 position for 2 players.  

We literally didn’t play Davis even when we were behind and needed more.

Just bizarre that some fans are arguing for a player than is seen in terms of playing time as Davis, Taylor and Lansbury but despite not history of it has some potential for first team ability or I should say more first team time.  

I don’t understand it and many don’t and then the comparisons to Wes is bizarre because why Wes has his own problems, Davis isn’t anywhere near Wes’s level just like at the moment I wouldnt argue Wes is in Watkins level.

Just glad Smith seems to agree with me given the amount of time he gives Davis.

1 hour ago, useless said:

You're allowed to think that both Davis and Wesley are both good footballers, and both have scope to improve, don't have to pit one against the other.

You’re allowed to think they are both crap as well. I think Wesley has more scope for improvement though. 

• Like 1

Â