Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

9 minutes ago, useless said:

You're the one that's being disingenuous, you haven't got a clue whether we tried to sign another striker or not, season began in September, it's now March, we knew that Wesley would be out for most of the season, and that when he does return it's likely to be a while before he's match fit, yet Davis was deemed good enough for back up, we're an ambitious premier league side, we aren't going to keep a player around just because they're 'cheap', he's been kept around because Smith rates him.

Also we let Doyle-Hayles, Hepburn-Murphy, Green and Sarkic all leave on free transfers, if we only gave Davis a three year contract so we could get a fee for him, then he wouldn't be here now, he'd be out on loan.

It’s common knowledge that we were desperately trying to sign Mario Mandzukic, from his agent, then Romano, never mind local people who are in the know.  Even if you dispute that there were less certain links to other strikers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Wesley in the squad for tonight?

He's not in the U23 squad for this afternoons game.

Don't have an issue with naming him given we can put 9 on there. Our bench in recent weeks has had loads of defenders on it so certainly making up the numbers a bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, osmark86 said:

funny that Josh Onomah that was highly disliked was joint highest scorer that season along with Adomah. The omah power.

edit: according to wikipedia that is ;)

I did a double take when I saw that. Still think that's a typo :lol:

4 hours ago, useless said:

You're allowed to think that both Davis and Wesley are both good footballers, and both have scope to improve, don't have to pit one against the other.

Exactly where I am.

It's hilarious watching people aggressively go back and forth about them.

Both have also be incredibly unlucky for a multitude of reasons.

• Like 2

Both Wesley and Davis are not a patch on Ollie Watkins. But I do think that they both have their strengths, Davis is great at holding the ball up, can dribble and has a decent touch for a big man. Wesley has better finishing, can pass and is strong as an ox. They can both improve and are both one or two attributes away from being very good. (Davis’ finishing and Wesley’s mobility and using his strength to his advantage). 

They’re both young and I see potential in them. Whether they’ll get to realise that at Villa, who knows. But I’m happy to allow them the chance. 

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Exactly where I am.

It's hilarious watching people aggressively go back and forth about them.

Both have also be incredibly unlucky for a multitude of reasons.

It does get quite heated! 🤣 

Never seen such a fierce debate for 2 players. One that never plays and one that’s been out for 14 months!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Hogan even got 6 that season 

Didn't he have a run of 5 in 5 around Christmas? That's when Jack came back and we won 7 in a row including Blues at home. We thought the world class runs were actually working finally :lol: 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You’d think he’d get some game time with the u21s before being named in a match squad. 

Yeah I'd be very surprised if he was in the squad tonight. Smith didn't mention it. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah I'd be very surprised if he was in the squad tonight. Smith didn't mention it. 

Yeah he said last week that he'd be playing U23/PL2 games to get back up to speed like Heaton did start of the season.

5 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Wesley in the squad for tonight?

He's not in the U23 squad for this afternoons game.

His first day back in full training was this week. I suspect he will be named to the u-23 squad for their next game once he has built up some more fitness. 

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s common knowledge that we were desperately trying to sign Mario Mandzukic, from his agent, then Romano, never mind local people who are in the know.  Even if you dispute that there were less certain links to other strikers.

Whose that?! Was he/is he good!?

Yeah we should have very Low expectations of Wesley, we need a striker sure but we also need players in other areas that can service strikers first.

I think we are missing the main ingredient big time which are two Wingers who can service striker, we are missing creativity and accuracy so much that were struggling to score.

Wesley, Watkins and Barry would all be ace for us if we could service them at a fair rate, Pretty sure even Davis may get a goal lol. It's the none existent goals that are getting people crazy about wanting a new striker yet we have 4 who we could play and I think it's more of none existent crossing and passing to our Lone strikers that's the issue.

My idea is sell Ghazi and Trezegeut who not only miss a mad amount of shots, they are defensively bad, they are not very good at supporting where it's needed and they certainly can't pick out players most of all. In the championship Trez and Ghazi would be all over opposition but the time has come in Summer to replace them with world beaters, we must find two players who can find Watkins, Wesley, Barry or Davis then we can determine who is worth keeping or not from our strikers. My bet is Watkins would up his goals if we get more into his path, Barry would start scoring for the first team, Wesley would grab some and Davis I dno.

We just can't consider really selling or buying strikers till we have a sufficient level of service being supplied each game.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yeah we should have very Low expectations of Wesley, we need a striker sure but we also need players in other areas that can service strikers first.

I think we are missing the main ingredient big time which are two Wingers who can service striker, we are missing creativity and accuracy so much that were struggling to score.

Wesley, Watkins and Barry would all be ace for us if we could service them at a fair rate, Pretty sure even Davis may get a goal lol. It's the none existent goals that are getting people crazy about wanting a new striker yet we have 4 who we could play and I think it's more of none existent crossing and passing to our Lone strikers that's the issue.

My idea is sell Ghazi and Trezegeut who not only miss a mad amount of shots, they are defensively bad, they are not very good at supporting where it's needed and they certainly can't pick out players most of all. In the championship Trez and Ghazi would be all over opposition but the time has come in Summer to replace them with world beaters, we must find two players who can find Watkins, Wesley, Barry or Davis then we can determine who is worth keeping or not from our strikers. My bet is Watkins would up his goals if we get more into his path, Barry would start scoring for the first team, Wesley would grab some and Davis I dno.

We just can't consider really selling or buying strikers till we have a sufficient level of service being supplied each game.

I completely agree apart from the last line.

I love Wes but we wont see much of him this season at all if we are being honest.  I'm really hoping he comes back well because I think he could do really well but at the same time I dont want to risk it.  Barry looks a real talent but I still think he should be brought into the team slowly over the next 24 months and we shouldnt expect too much unless he really sparks but next season should still be only bits here or there.  (I just dont think Davis will be here next season, not getting any game time against Newcastle when we played two up top and struggling....I'm not a fan as people know but even I was surprised at that decision because I would've brought him on)

So that leaves us only with Ollie again.  We need to get creative players in and fully agree with everything you said but I think we need another striker even if just short term like we were serious after 34 year old Mandzukic.  Maybe that's the type of answer, a short term quality striker so Ollie can still remain the focal point....it also gives us time to see how Wes does and time for Barry to develop,

I personally would love another big time Striker in along with creative players but that might be asking too much but I am really concerned that if something happened to Ollie we potentially have no back up  for reasons I mentioned re Wes, Barry and Davis.....too risky in my opinion to take a chance.  It's the same reservation I had this season and Ollie looks knackered at the moment and I wish we had a striker to replace him to give him a few games rest but we dont.

• Like 1

Â